Startup & PolKit

zephyr

Would like to address a particular aspect of the " /home/urname/.fluxbox/startup" missing a command line script regarding the ability to access multiple drives regardless of file manager being used. The script I added to startup is " /usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 &". I had believed for the longest time that this problem was related to the "/etc/PolicyKit & /etc/polkit-1". I mirrored Crunchbang's startup file to see what might be different, and that line was what I found.  I also have two Debian Testing distro's which I have added fluxbox and openbox, both have the script added to startup file by default. Don't want to steer anyone in the wrong direction, so would like someone to take a look at this. Thanks. zephyr
CROWZ / STAR / Devuan / refracta / VSIDO

VastOne

Hey zephyr, thanks for opening this for discussion

So you add this to access multiple drives without admin credentials, is that it?  I am not quite understanding what you cannot do now out of the box with VSIDO.  On any machine I access, I use SpaceFM to mount anything I do not have mounted (as root) ... there is nothing that I have not been able to 'see' via SpaceFM file management and it's tools

I have no issue adding anything to the core setup as long as it is discussed and the general consensus is that it is worthy
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

zephyr

Hello VastOne:  yes,  but it will ask for a root password. This would allow Thunar or PCManFM to gain access, or any other file manager.  I could not access with SpaceFM as well. Not sure why. But, now I have no issues at all. I started using Thunar back a while ago when SpaceFM was broken, and realized the issues with other file managers. But, the script works regardless of the file manager you choose. I do like SpaceFM, use it as default.  I brought this up in case other users were having similar issues using other file managers. Thanks

jedi

It just dawned on me, but did we not address this back in Nov 2013?  I should have remembered this earlier while talking with zephyr.  My bad...

Perhaps here - http://vsido.org/index.php?topic=641.msg7362#msg7362

and also here -
echo 2000 > /sys/module/block/parameters/events_dfl_poll_msecs
added to the /etc/rc.local file?

edit: oops, those are about the Kernel polling and not the polkit...  Will continue to look for the correct thread...

Just for the record, I've had no issues with SpaceFm seeing/mounting all drives, internal or external for that matter.  If this is an issue, then I see no problem adding it to the startup file in ~/.fluxbox/startup.  Seems a pretty simple solution that perhaps a new user wouldn't tumble to right away.
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

zephyr

http://vsido.org/index.php?topic=835.msg9378#msg9378- I pasted that hoping it would be directed to a more recent posting regarding the potential fate of SpaceFM posted 22 December 2014 by VastOne.  It had also broken prior to that. I moved to to Thunar, but ran into the drive access problem. It took a while and had attempted much earlier to find a solution to why I could not access the drives with PCManFM and Thunar. I simply wanted to point out that as someone new to Linux and VSIDO, I had found a workable solution, it worked for me. I also wanted to point out that the problem was not with the PolicyKit located in /etc. I thought maybe I could save a newbie a bit of frustration if they chose a different file manager other than SpaceFM. I respect VastOne tremendously, a bit envious of his IT developer skills, and would not request a potentally dangerous or a compromise of the core system. I thought this could be helpful.  Turning over every stone looking for a solution is a learning experience, asking for help should not be casual in my opinion, just when all has failed.  Thanks -zephyr