January 2015 Screenshots

zephyr

I sincerely hope all the community had a safe and joyous New Year celebration. I stayed home, weather is miserable. So, I had been playing around with VSIDO and decided to see what it would be like as an openbox distro. It is every bit as excellent as fluxbox. No one does fluxbox better than VSIDO, and I am a #! user, and it is the best openbox. The look and feel to VSIDO openbox is almost identical. I used a different menu than #!, but a lot of it's attributes I carried into the obmenu. Great results. So, I'm posting both screenshots.   
CROWZ / STAR / Devuan / refracta / VSIDO

zephyr

I thought I could put two, lost one. so here is my VSIDO fluxbox for January 2015. zephyr

PackRat

^ nice

cwm with dzen2 providing the taskbar with menu, launchers, system info -

Happy New Year to the VSIDO group.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

seppalta

Vsido desktop with Openbox replacing Fluxbox, rotating desktop image, dynamic obamenu (Applications), openbox docker, Conky and Fbpanel:

PackRat

^ Nice one; welcome to VSIDO. Please use thumbnails of your images.

spectrwm -

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

zephyr

Tiling wm's are awesome, great visual effects. I am going to try out one that I might be able to handle. What would you recommend for a beginner? I understand with most that the keyboard is much more or totally in use. I've tried i3, and Blue Tile, and I'm not in the league. DWMX seems to be reasonable, but in early development. I do like the looks of your tiling screenshots. 

PackRat

^ If you want an introduction to tiling wm's go with spectrwm. The configuration files are simple text files and well annotated, the man page is also excellent (the original developers were OpenBSD users), and it's good and stable. If you change the configuration, you can just restart the window manager, no need to recompile like you have to do with dwm.

It's in the repos and looks to be up to date (version 2.6). Or you can get the latest from git. I think the dependencies are already installed if you choose to compile from source.

The statusbar for spectrwm also works really well with conky or your own script.

more spectrwm - laptop this time, bored the last couple days so I cleaned up my stausbar script:

And yes, you get the most out of tiling window managers if you set up the key bindings (also easy to do with spectrwm). Although, I find the only practical, every day difference is that you can't close a window by clicking on the button - Alt-F4 (or whatever you set up) becomes second nature after about 2 days.

One thing I do since I do a lot of window manager hopping is to set all the key bindings the same; keeps my brain from over heating  :D
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

zephyr

Thank you for the help. I am going to get a fresh cup of coffee, and proceed to download and install spectrwm. Been with Linux a whole year since Christmas, and have acquired a great deal of knowledge, however I am not even scratching the surface. I am thankful for the welcome, and never ending support I receive from VSIDO, #! and Arch. The tilingwm's  have a very simplistic appearance , quite appealing. Thanks again. .

jedi

A first shot of 2015.  Nice to see so many great shots already!

@zephyr, PackRat is definitely the resident expert on WM's!  He'll not steer you wrong...

Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

zephyr

@Jedi & Packrat- Already using the Spectrwm and learning the keyboard, only problem is my keyboard is not responding to the Super key (windows) icon key. So, Got another on order. I did all the configuration that I could come with and sure the hardware is at fault. But what I did experiment with is fascinating. Appreciate the support. 

PackRat

Does your win key register in xev?

if you have never used xev, open a terminal and type -

xev

mouse over the white box to make it active and then press the win key, the keysym outputs to the terminal.

Also, what language do you use? If you are European, your Win key may be registering as the Gr and/or Meta key. It will not be Mod4 in that case.

openbox - tint2 icons only bottom left, stalonetray system tray bottom right, launcher and system info script piped to dzen2 at top -

what is the layer/strut policy to get tint2 to sit below maximized windows? I tried bottom layer with the various policies and it remains like a dock.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

PackRat

Been in window manager hopping mode lately -

subtle window manager:

using the Conky sublet to create a conkybar at bottom.

Edit - slight modification - taskbar is all subtle (ruby language) sublets, no conky:

Direct Link
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Excellent stuff from the usual suspects... !  Nice ..  :-*

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Some red and green -

satisfying my addiction to wm hopping - 2bwm - minimalist window manager similar to cwm, evilwm:

Direct Link to Image

conky with clickable menu and apps piped to dzen2 for taskbar.

and tinkering with fvwm - dropped conky and went with xosview for a more unified look.

Direct Link
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

zephyr

@ Packrat: You are awesome, really appreciate the help. I have been trying to get the Super key to work for months with other Tiling wm's and been everywhere, you name it. Do try to resolve these mysteries and obtain a little learning in the process. But, this was so simple for what I perceived as something more complicated. A great distro with an incredible forum. Off to play with Spectr. Thanks again-zephyr