Sunflower Issues & Customizations

statmonkey

For those who are interested this thread for posting customizations, issues, etc. for Sunflower file manager.

[added] quick link to Wiki https://code.google.com/p/sunflower-fm/wiki/WelcomePage

VastOne

Thanks statmonkey

For me there are three basic things I want in a file manager...

The ability to see and open / view all mount points open or closed.. have not seen this yet but it may be adding bookmarks

The ability to open the directory I am in in a terminal session.. built in with python-vte installed (all of 545k installed)

The ability to do root functions on a file or directory .... that looks doable from commands

That wiki page  will come in handy
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

Let's start with my first issue with sunflower. 

have an issue or perhaps a misunderstanding.  I use a fair amount of internal and external drives on my system.  This means that I am often swapping out thumbs, disks, etc as I work through the day.  With sunflower there are two things that I have noticed.  Sunflower sees all the external drives in my drive bay when the app is started.  Using mount manager to access them is not needed, I can go right in with the browser.  But there seems to be no response using mount manager to unmount, the checkmark disappears but the drives are still mounted and running mount in the terminal confirms this.  So drives have to be unmounted by hand in terminal (this is a deal breaker for me).  I am guessing he is using GIO or something similar to what Nautylust uses.  The good news is this might be overcome outside with a script by command.

Inversely I have 3 drives (besides my boot drive) that are internal.  In mount manager the drives show in the Volumes area (along with the external drives) but have empty boxes showing them as unmounted.  Attempting to mount them has no effect and there is nothing in my mounts folder.  Curiously this is the opposite issue I have had recently with SpaceFM (it won't mount the external drives but has no problem with the internal drives).  Besides wondering if there is something I am missing with the mount manager I also would like to know what is being called when you go to mount something?  Working on finding that out by looking at the code.  This is starting to get a little hairy.

Finally if I plug a thumb drive in to a usb there seems to be no reaction from sunflower.  It does not seem to see it nor does it offer me anything to do with it.  Again, is there something I need to do configure to make this come alive?  This is about where I am with SpaceFM right now, but with less features.  Also, this might be something that could be resolved.  I at least have some things to check on.

PackRat

Guess I'll mess around with this one a bit more.

@vastone - if you haven't gotten to it, yes the mount points can be shown in the bookmarks. Options to automount external drives and that sort of thing in the preferences.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

Yeppers PackRat, I have got almost everything needed and am in the very same position that statmonkey is now in with the mount manager

These issues are not intuitive nor descriptive in any way and running from terminal shows nothing at all when running the mount manager

I can get a root window to open but not to the directory I have and want to be in, it just opens an instance of root in it's own home directory... This is fine, but a long way from where I wanted it to be

@statmonkey, I saw your reported bug and I am following it. Well done sir!!  8)

I really like this app and think it could be a perfect fit here in VSIDO

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I added this to the statmonkey bug report:

From what I am seeing is the need for gvfs which is installed and at a minimum python-gnomekeyring.  I did install that package and I am still seeing the same issues you are statmonkey.  Now Tools/Keyring Manager says Keyring is empty with no clear way of adding anything to it

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I made the following enhancement request

QuoteEnhancement request %d and %F and %f command line parameters

To be able to pass information within Commands structure would greatly enhance the Sunflower

%d current directory
%F Selected Files or %f for first selected file

Example:

su-to-root -X -c sunflower %d

would open a root instance of sunflower from within the directory you are in

su-to-root -X -c medit %f

would open a root medit session on the selected file

It would also be very helpful to have freedesktop.org standards such as $HOME or the tilda ~ (which represents /home) as config standards. This way a default config can be setup for multiple users ... as in the case from an /etc/skel setup if used as the default file manager in a distro

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

Thanks for the support.  I think that if it wants to be a serious program they need a way to do those things, edit a file as root, run a browser in root, etc. I played around with commands with little success.  There are a lot of nice features here but it does seem to need some work.  I downloaded the code and will have a look, need to brush up my python anyway. 

VastOne

Whatever I can do to assist, please let me know statmonkey... I am fairly good at python whispering...

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

I don't really have anything in mind at the moment but was looking at the potential of the python plugins which should be able to be used similar to the plugins provided for SpaceFM.  In particular the dropbox stuff which I use fairly regularly.  The docs here are not well flushed out but it does seem that any basic python script could be used as a plugin with a little effort.  I tend not to use python much and don't really have anything I can think of that would be useful.  If there is anything you had that would work as a proof of concept it would be worth testing to see how functional it really is.

meaneye

Hi folks. I am the developer of this little file manager. I know some things are not documented and terribly sorry that's the case. I certainly hope to improve that once I figure out a suitable solution. That said, if there is anything you need help with, please let me know. A lot of features are indeed driven by user demand as Sunflower did everything it needed to do for me long time ago.

Also, the best place to get the fastest feedback is either GitHub issues list or even better IRC channel #sunflower on FreeNode. Thanks for giving Sunflower a shot. :)

VastOne

Welcome to VSIDO meaneye and thanks for dropping by to introduce yourself...

The default file manager in VSIDO is now SpaceFM but there are concerns about it's future as it is no longer supported as it once was by it's developer IgnorantGuru. 

We have begun searching for a replacement and Sunflower has just been brought up to look at.  I am impressed so far with everything you have done, and also in that it is done in Python and has a small footprint in size, resources and dependencies.

Should you need anything, let any of us know what we can do to assist in developing or enhancing Sunflower

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

Great to see you in here.  Really like what you have done and understand the difficulties of manual writing.  I have written several and .... ugh never again.  I have some other questions which I will post to you later today.

meaneye

Quote from: VastOne on October 21, 2014, 02:49:07 PM
Welcome to VSIDO meaneye and thanks for dropping by to introduce yourself...

The default file manager in VSIDO is now SpaceFM but there are concerns about it's future as it is no longer supported as it once was by it's developer IgnorantGuru. 

We have begun searching for a replacement and Sunflower has just been brought up to look at.  I am impressed so far with everything you have done, and also in that it is done in Python and has a small footprint in size, resources and dependencies.

Should you need anything, let any of us know what we can do to assist in developing or enhancing Sunflower
Okay, thanks for the consideration and kind words. If you guys run into any kind of bugs, let me know and I'll do my best to fix them.

Quote from: statmonkey on October 21, 2014, 07:51:59 PM
Great to see you in here.  Really like what you have done and understand the difficulties of manual writing.  I have written several and .... ugh never again.  I have some other questions which I will post to you later today.
Glad to be here. Sure, whenever you have questions, feel free to ask.