[SOLVED] dmenu question

superwow

So, I've been happy on VSIDO for quite some time. Got my millions of keybindings and all kind of productivity shortcuts set up. And along comes this weird lightdm/systemd business and now I am switching things around and being a detective with new setups and whatnot. So the investigating sparked the bug again and this morning I thought well heck I'll just install OB and set up all my old keybindings and menu etc and start a multi-wm system. Yes, that is actually the direction I want to go, as I want to try jwm, awesomewm, and a few others, just for the heck of it.

So, in the standard FB VSIDO install, I have dmenu keybound to control+space. It works flawlessly.

In the OB side of my VSIDO, which I have nicely set up with all kinds of goodnes, my lovely dmenu shows up, but won't search. Type as I may, it never indexes anything.

The problem is obviously one of the PEBCAC variety. So, can someone educate me as to what I have done wrong, or haven't done? In various other systems I have run, a keybinding for dmenu needed to call a dmenu-xxx.sh file that called dmenu. But VSIDO-FB did not, as far as I know. How can I make my dmenu work in VSIDO-OB?

PackRat

Please, post your OB key binding.

When running OB, in a terminal, does -

dmenu_run

work?
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

superwow

PackRat, running dmenu_run from terminal does work.

Here's the keybinding.

</keybind>
        <keybind key="C-space">
      <action name="Execute">
        <startupnotify>
          <enabled>true</enabled>
          <name>dmenu</name>
        </startupnotify>
        <command>dmenu</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

I'm thinking I should add the "_run" to the dmenu part? Doing so, changing to below:

</keybind>
        <keybind key="C-space">
      <action name="Execute">
        <startupnotify>
          <enabled>true</enabled>
          <name>dmenu</name>
        </startupnotify>
        <command>dmenu_run</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

and, boom it works. You're the best Packrat!