Long Live SpaceFM (Was once SpaceFM replacement)

PackRat

@vastone

4pane is a pretty good file manager, but I'm pretty sure it's not in the debian repos. I'm also certain that all of it's dependencies are not in the repos so getting it compiled from source is a bit tricky. It has some nice power user features, but required some effort for everyday tasks as I recall.

edit - looks like they have their own debian repository that can be added - http://www.4pane.co.uk/Download.htm
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

statmonkey

Quote from: VastOne on September 22, 2014, 03:55:16 PM
The mutex issue as I understand it is specific to an update to libgtk-3-0 and in viewing several bug reports I believe will be corrected soon

There are dozens of apps other than spacefm that are affected by this

Well said ^
Yep, dozens of things are affected by the mutex thing and again agree that this is just what you get with sid.

Finally, debian is an OS that does have an install base.. more than that they are a package management system that is run by devs and maintainers that the majority of are never paid a red cent. They are also a group with a history of maintaining rigid control and processes to ensure stability

We live on the edge of SID here and perhaps without a doubt have been spoiled by it's successes and lack of implosions for a long time

Without a doubt.  I am pretty sure in fact this has been a record breaking run.  I can't even remember the last time I saw something like this.  Personally, I think part of my whining has been because we are soooo spoiled.

If one really wants the true supported experience of Debian, thy should try or stay with Debian Stable installs or other distros like Crunchbang that is built on the 2 year models of updates

I cannot live like that and choose this edge and desire challenges such as this. 

The mutex issue will resolve itself soon.  SpaceFM will not (IMO) be viable without a maintainer and that saddens me.  I have a tremendous amount of respect for IgnorantGuru and wish him well. Should SpaceFM ever return to a maintained level we will entertain it coming back to VSIDO then

This one I am not as sure about but not in a negative sense I have a bit more optimism than the v-ger  8).

Oh the mutex stuff absolutely will be  rounded into shape and Sid will settle down.  Say a week at the most.  It's the old domino effect.  But per SpaceFM that hasn't really changed that much.  Those of us who really want to hang with it can try to keep it cobbled together, nobody says you can't leave it on your system and hope someone picks it up or better yet try yourself.  That is what this is all about.  What is changed is that for any distro to use SpaceFM as the default file manager when it is not being actively maintained.  That would be just stupid and VO has rightly said the distro needs to move on, no matter how much I love it he is correct. 

In the FOSS world things die, apps, scripts even distro's, that is part of the chain of life.  When things are developed out of passion rather than paycheck the passion ends sometimes.  As I said, I will miss spacefm more than most but I can live with Thunar it's a well done piece of kit. SpaceFM was what I would have built had I had the skill, that really is the diff for me.  It's no deal breaker though and maybe some script kiddie will get excited and come up with a new and better one.  More likely than not actually.

I would heartily recommend that when you run your upgrades you look carefully at what is being done over the next week or so.  If something is being removed you don't want removed STOP - LOOK - LISTEN.  Stop the upgrade just say no.  Look at what is being removed and research/listen to make sure that is not just a temporary hitch.  Once you are confident that this is what you want to do, then do the up or once it settles down.  I am quite sure you all know this - just a friendly reminder.  It is a small price to pay for cutting edge that we have had a free run in for almost two years.

Overall Debian, really remains THE linux option.  I really do believe this.  If I have a problem with Debian's direction it does not mean I think they are necessarily wrong.  In fact, they are probably correct they need to make things easier and simpler to maintain if they want to increase installed base.  My complaint is really about me and whether I am that good a fit for Debian anymore.  For now, I think I still am but time will tell.  Again, if I have said anything that led anyone to believe that I think Debian is OTL my apologies.  The problem is my problem not theirs.

@PackRat 4pane looks very interesting.  Thanks for that tip.

VastOne

Well said statmonkey and thanks for the backing...

The moment you are OTL is the day both you and I (and jedi and packrat) will be done with Linux and FOSS as a failure... in both cases I do not see that happening my friend ..   ::)
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

superwow

I don't know what the mutex thing is. Or how it broke spacefm. I do like spacefm though and think it is sad to see IG toss in the hat. His blog and voice in the linux community is awesome though, so I hope he doesn't give that up.

As to the mutex thing and the recent flurry of updates, not sure what is going on in Debianland but every few days I am getting yet another app that quits working, for 3-7 days, then back up. This is my first taste of SID, and I guess this is how it is every now and again, but I don't mind too much. It is getting me even deeper into the linux world, forces me to shop. Get rid of spacefm, bolt on thunar, or switch it out with 4pane, or rox-filer, or dolphin, or marlin. Applications are easy to switch out if you just figure out how. Tired of flux? Use openbox, jwm, ice, awesome, etc.

I am familiar with Thunar, and have a lot of custom actions which make my life easier, but I would not be averse to being pleasantly surprised by something like vimfm, rox-filer, 4pane, dragonflywm, or even gentoo fm, if it fits base VSIDO packages and provides functionality on top of minimal cpu strain.

statmonkey

I have been playing with 4pane, very nice little tool.

Just noticed that the latest d/u is wanting to remove all the pythonqt5 stuff and calibre plus give me apache2 back.  Um, no, no thank you.    ??? Sigh.  I guess I'll just wait a bit.

jedi

Quote from: statmonkey on September 23, 2014, 04:37:22 PM

Just noticed that the latest d/u is wanting to remove all the pythonqt5 stuff and calibre plus give me apache2 back.  Um, no, no thank you.    ??? Sigh.  I guess I'll just wait a bit.

Yes and Calibre was just updated last week to fix a bug that kept it from running for a few days.  It has been trying to remove them from my system since early yesterday.  Calibre depends on the Qt5 crap unfortunately.  Calibre is the most used app I have due to my love of reading...

So yeah, um, no, no thank you indeed!   ::)  A lot of 'sighing' here as well.  :-\
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

While I think Calibre is great for organizing mass amounts of epubs and ebooks, I find the simplicity of fbreader to be perfect for reading on a PC or laptop and it's very small footprint is perfect

On my Android I love Aldiko (thanks to jedi)

Still seeing mass amounts of updates in general... pretty common in SID after a major kernel update

Back on topic...

I am really liking Thunar and wonder if we could start an area to get the best custom actions together.  superwow said he had a lot of them .. I would not mind seeing them and making them a default in VSIDO if Thunar is chosen

I am leaning towards Thunar with pcmanfm installing as an option from vsido-welcome

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

Quote from: jedi on September 23, 2014, 06:18:20 PM
Quote from: statmonkey on September 23, 2014, 04:37:22 PM

Yes and Calibre was just updated last week to fix a bug that kept it from running for a few days.  It has been trying to remove them from my system since early yesterday.  Calibre depends on the Qt5 crap unfortunately.  Calibre is the most used app I have due to my love of reading...

So yeah, um, no, no thank you indeed!   ::)  A lot of 'sighing' here as well.  :-\

Here Jedi try the link I sent you.  Perhaps you will find something of interest I hope so anyway.  Once you see it you will understand why I am not going to let Calibre be removed.

Quote from: VastOne on September 23, 2014, 06:34:12 PM
While I think Calibre is great for organizing mass amounts of epubs and ebooks, I find the simplicity of fbreader to be perfect for reading on a PC or laptop and it's very small footprint is perfect

On my Android I love Aldiko (thanks to jedi)

Still seeing mass amounts of updates in general... pretty common in SID after a major kernel update

Back on topic...

I am really liking Thunar and wonder if we could start an area to get the best custom actions together.  superwow said he had a lot of them .. I would not mind seeing them and making them a default in VSIDO if Thunar is chosen

I am leaning towards Thunar with pcmanfm installing as an option from vsido-welcome

Love the idea of a custom actions thread.  I haven't used Thunar in a while and at one point had a ton of scripts and custom links.  I may have to look through my old installs.

Personally while I like fbreader I am a huge fan of MoonReader+ and think it is slightly superior to both Aldiko and Fbreader on a tablet or phone.  It's library management is much better and the in app access to wikipedia/dictionaries (I read a fair amount in French and German as well as English) is something I could not live without.  I don't read much but PDF on my box. 

Again, I think it will settle down in a few days but I also think I will probably be looking at a reinstall anyway.  Which again means waiting for things to settle.  Still not able to get my external NAS or my 4 Bay external drive to play nicely.

jedi

I will put my vote (if we are voting  :D ) behind Thunar.  I would love to see some of the custom actions as well, and think it would make for a great thread of it's own.

I practically had another heart attack last week when I went to open Calibre and nothing happened.  Thankfully there was an updated version and that fixed whatever the issue was.  Yes statmonkey, I can see why you would be holding back on Calibre!  I am as well, as I have a large library myself.
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

superwow

Folks, if y'all are adopting Thunar, or just considering it, here (http://vsido.org/index.php?topic=838.0) are a bunch of custom actions. I take no credit for any of them, as I have shamelessly pilfered with zero of my own creativity. :D

superwow

Oh yeh, totally forgot, has anyone tried dwm? I always like seeing scrots of systems running dwm. Very minimal looking.

PackRat

^ I use dwm sometimes - there is a recent scrot of my setup in this month's screenshot thread.

Anyone give gentoo (the file manager, not the distro) a look. I have no idea if it's a product of the gentoo distro and some dev gave it the same name, but it looks like a pretty powerful file manager. It's in the repos and didn't pull in any dependencies that were not already installed; tinkered with it for about 5 min and it appears to be highly customizable - can edit the commands, and custom button commands etc .... Two pane format is default -

not recommending it for VSIDO default, but I can see where a power user - lookin' at you statmonkey - would really like this one.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

FYI

BwackNinja, a developer on spaceFM is now looking at and has identified the mutex issue ... his comments are that he needs to up to the latest glibs and will repair it

This IMO validates that even with IG on a hiatus spaceFM lives

With this information and with a new release I can build new ISO's

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

Great news.  For what it is worth I am getting a huge update list including all the libqt stuff, udev, python, pam, gvfs, etc. right now on update.  It seems a lot going on out there.

VastOne

^ Indeed statmonkey... there is a tremendous amount of development and movement going on

I dev VSIDO