Light DM issues

statmonkey

Jedi, I am finding that the only way to get through this is to hunt and peck each one, picking them off one at a time and hoping like heck that I remember what I did and when. LOL.  Anyway, on the reboot and shutdown that sounds like a policy kit issue as  I think that has changed recently.  Sorry you are having issues if there is something specific that I can help with post it or PM me anytime.   

jedi

Shutdown, reboot issues fixed.  Removed Samba.  Presto, back to normal.  As to the topic of this thread, I say;
sudo apt-get purge lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter liblightdm-gobject-1-0

Good riddance to bad rubbish!

Just kidding, lightdm has been pretty faithful for the most part for over 2 years now.  The above might be taken as a hint though about a future version of VSIDO...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

lwfitz

Poof...... and like a ghost I appear......

Has anyone found a fix for this (maybe I missed it?) I ran a new install after finally selling my macbook and when I updated without reading any warning posts I then needed to reinstall..... Feel free to laugh  ???

Edit:

I was able to get updated and boot with no errors by first uninstalling lightdm with

sudo apt-get remove lightdm

then

sudo apt-get update

then

Quoteget lightdm

When apt asked if I wanted to use the developers version of lightdm.comf I said yes.

Then I ran

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I rebooted and all was good in the world again. I think someone else mentioned it already but it seemed to be a change in the lightdm config (stating the obvious I know).

Don't Be A Dick!

jedi

@lwfitz, your avatar is way more vomitous than mine!  This is the same lwfitz right?  The one who used to talk to us on IRC?  Maybe you'll "poof" in there too!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

lwfitz

Hahaha of course it is you dork! I'll be in there tonight so prepare yourself!
Don't Be A Dick!

lwfitz

I was able to get around the

QuoteAttempt to unlock mutex that was not locked

error in spacefm by removing spacefm and installing spacefm-gtk3
Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

^ Thanks lwstangerfitz

Was not even aware that there was a version such as this
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

Me either, great tip. Thanks lwfitz

lwfitz

:D Theres definitely nobody stranger than me

I wasnt either, I found it in synaptic and gave it a try. I found some posts that mentioned removing libglib 2.0-0 or commenting it out in
the program thats erroring but I cant find it anywhere in disk-manager.
Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

Bonus points for anyone who can get the gtk3 themes working correctly ... I used to be able to change them but it no longer seems to work

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

QuoteAlso what happened to "uptime"?  "The following applications are missing from your system: uptime" this comes from running "inxi --recommends".  It says to add it to my system I need to install the proper distribution package for my system: Debian: procps
procps is already the newest version

And yet, Conky displays the uptime just fine...

Like I said, ridiculous...

Conky must be using some other way to calculate the system uptime; there is a /proc/uptime file, but the numbers in the file appear to need conversion to a common time format - the first number appears to be seconds. Maybe the second number is a cumulative uptime if you have multiple boot/start during the day.

For anyone looking for a real hack of a solution to replace the uptime binary - and get inxi working again - I came up with this:

#!/bin/sh
# replacement (ok hack) uptime script for vsido/debian sid  -- DO NOT USE ON ANY OTHER DISTRO
# save file as uptime to some location on your path and make it executable
# gives uptime in minutes only

vsidoup=`top -n1 -d0.1 | grep "up" | awk '{print $5}'`

echo $vsidoup

exit 0

it's a real hack, but inxi is working again, and there doesn't appear to be any bad effects - I'm going with the assumption that debian sid/vsido has deprecated the uptime binary in favor of some other process. Obviously, this would hose any distro that uses the original uptime - debian stable, #!, etc ...
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

lwfitz

Ok so a fresh install of VSIDO later and this is what I have come up with. I believe the culprit is

libglib2.0-0

so before updating I ran

sudo apt-mark hold libglib2.0-0 libglib2.0-data libglibmm-2.4-1c2a

that in turn stopped all this from updating

gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-glib-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 glib-networking
  glib-networking-common glib-networking-services gnome-themes-standard
  gnome-themes-standard-data libglib2.0-0 libglib2.0-data libglibmm-2.4-1c2a
  libgtk-3-0 libgtk-3-bin libgtk-3-common libgtkmm-3.0-1 libsoup2.4-1

and also uninstalled pithos, xfce4-screenshooter and something else that I cant remember.

At this point I ran

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

and when asked about the lightdm version to keep I said "Y" to install the maintainers config.
Once all the updates installed I rebooted and spacefm and disk-manager opened just fine.

I then ran

sudo apt-get install pithos xfce4-screenshooter

Both installed fine and everything seems to be running properly except chromium but thats a seperate issue I believe.

So now that things are working as they should we can focus on exactly which one of those dependencies are causing this mess
Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

So if you unhold those packages that you held what then happens? this is great work Luke hopefully it'll lead us down to solving this even better

@packrat conky does use its own separate languages and calls and uptime is definitely one of them

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

If I unhold

libglib2.0-0 libglib2.0-data libglibmm-2.4-1c2a

then

gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-glib-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 glib-networking
  glib-networking-common glib-networking-services gnome-themes-standard
  gnome-themes-standard-data libglib2.0-0 libglib2.0-data libglibmm-2.4-1c2a
  libgtk-3-0 libgtk-3-bin libgtk-3-common libgtkmm-3.0-1 libsoup2.4-1

will install and break everything again.

What I dont know is if it was truly libglib2.0-0 or if it was one of the other dependencies that got held back.

Edit:

I just released the hold on  libglib2.0-data libglibmm-2.4-1c2a and ran those updates with no problem.
Don't Be A Dick!

statmonkey

FWIW http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org/msg1260439.html

States that it is libglib2.0-0. causing the issue

While I am at it this is about the fourth thread like this I have read today when trying to resolve errors that are showing up in my syslog and others http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.pulseaudio.general/20551 not to sound like a mensch but that answer/response and the similar ones just piss me off, totally unprofessional and slipshod work.