Runit vs systemd placeholder

statmonkey

Rather than quote @PackRat and @VastOne I'll save space and say I agree with both their posts and add the following.

Beware of Bold Font like comic sans I wonder what all the shouting is about on that site. The fact remains that those who do, shut up and just do it.  There is choice now and if someone builds a better init or even distro or forks Debian and it is well done the people will come and will use it.  Until/if that happens systemd is here, it works and the choice has been made.  Personally, I may not like it but I have other things to worry about (I'll post about that later).  I will admit that I think udev, udisks, polkit, pam is all one big cluster at the moment but I have enough faith in the community to believe that all this will get sorted.  Once there is something concrete to dispute on then that can be done but right now I am really tired of speculation (even my own) on this. 

I have personally been following Lennart and his group and think there are some good ideas there, some of it is speculative, some of it far-fetched but at the core the direction seems to be helpful.  I have also researched BSD, Gentoo, Slack, etc. and know that if I really see a Gnomie conspiracy I have real alternatives.  For now, I personally want to stay focused on  VSIDO and what we have, hopefully in my small insignificant way to help this stay the best distro it can be.  It's too easy for me to get distracted by things that just don't matter.

More power to them and if they build something that actually works and works well I will be interested. 

jedi

:D Actually, I have no recommendations, other than everyone should be using VSIDO!  I just need to quit reading the mailing lists, and the FUD sites about systemd.  The choice has been made, and I'm happy, and satisfied that people smarter than me made that choice!

In my own defense, when I posted it was almost 3 in the morning!  ???  How in the world I missed the fact that
Quote from: VastOneRegarding the General Resolution.. this says it all

Proposer: Ian Jackson
he was in any way involved, well I'm just ashamed!  His is the loudest mouth in the room no matter what the subject.  I find him very offensive!  For all I know, he could be the one behind this FUD campaign that doesn't seem to go away.

That I posted about it again, well someone just kick me already!  :-[
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

statmonkey

Not so serious Jedi.  I think it is good to keep up on it and am interested in hearing what is going on.  I just don't want to debate it anymore.  The personalities involved here are not really the point, it's what works, moving forward and really knowing what we have.  It is still possible that something else will rise above the rest, I just doubt we will see much from the people who keep spouting off.  I don't think they will come up with anything because they keep spending all their time spouting off, instead of ... you know.... working on a solution.  What's PackRat's quote "I'm am tired of talk that comes to nothing." very apropos to this topic.

jeffreyC

A comment on Distrowatch draws a parallel between Windows svchost and systemd, noting also that both present a large "attack surface".

Making all Linux distros the same "under the hood" would also increase vulnerability in some ways I would think.

superwow

Just in case y'all hadn't heard, Debian has been forked over the systemd issue. Just to give credit, I got the info from @jaromil.

QuoteJaromil retweeted
Slashdot @slashdot  ยท  4h 4 hours ago

Debian Forked Over Systemd http://bit.ly/1FCmRWc

0 replies 42 retweets 12 favorites

And a nice background on the dyne site: https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20141127.212941.f55acc3a.en.html

Follow the bitlink to https://devuan.org/

So, now, what will VSIDO do?

jedi

I highly suspect VSIDO will continue on in the tradition of Debian, and that we wont see much "forking" in the long run.  20+ years of Debian; what's to fork?
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

Quote from: jedi on November 30, 2014, 03:25:55 PM
I highly suspect VSIDO will continue on in the tradition of Debian, and that we wont see much "forking" in the long run.  20+ years of Debian; what's to fork?

That right there. In addition to them not being able to keep up with the package maintenance, what is there really to fork? If they are that committed to sytstemv, create a new distro from the ground up with systemv and either maintain something along the lines of the AUR, or use pkgsrc for a sources based distro. Adopt the parts of the Debian social contract regarding FOSS, QA/QC etc ... that are pertinent and have at it.

What I'm really waiting to see, is a migration by devs from distros that adopt systemd to *BSD or other projects. I think a major brain drain is a distinct possibility.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo