Digikam Question

Gordon

Hi,

I have just done my usual dist-upgrade only to find that it has removed Digikam from the system. Is there a particular reason for this and if so what should I replace it with or is it OK to reinstall Digikam  ?

Cheers :D
Gordon
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-MA69G-S3H , 8 Gb Ram, Realtek RX550 Graphics,  VSIDO

PackRat

What window manager / desktop environment are you using?

Based on what just happened to zbreaker - http://vsido.org/index.php?topic=813.0 - I'm thinking digikam was removed due to a kde dependency issue; I did a dummy install from synaptic and sure enough, digikam is still in the repos and wants to bring in a whole bunch of kde with it.

You can install it if you don't mind all the kde  stuff being installed, or you can go with another digital photo app like gtkam, shotwell (this seems to be a popular one), or f-spot. I've only used gtkam and shotwell for very basic stuff, so can't really recommend one over the other. Shotwell and gtkam don't have much in the way of dependencies, f-spot has a bunch.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ Agreed and well said, thanks mate

Shotwell is the VSIDO preferred application that is installed via the vsido-welcome script along with gimp inkscape mtpaint gcolor2 darktable and rawtherapee
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies. I used digikam as it was near to adobe photoshop which my inlaws use. I have never tried  most of what VastOne stated but found that f-spot and shotwell didn't do a lot of stuff. I will have a look at darktable and see what it is like. If need be I will have to reinstall Digikam

Anyway thanks for your time and help
Gordon

VastOne

Hey Gordon,

gimp is the one that will be closest to adobes photoshop for most needs
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

jedi

And, with all the plugins for gimp, it ends up being a really great competitor to Photoshop...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

Gordon

Sorry Folks,
Forgot I had started this thread. Haven't been on for ages been busy with my sandwich shop. Last thing I tried was Darktable, don't Like it though so haven't done anything for a while. Will give Gimp a go sometime though but thanks for all your suggestions and help with this subject
Gordon