Fishing appears to be popular with this group

lwfitz

Watched a few fishing videos on youtube tonight and stumbled upon this one

Pyramid Lake 11 19 2014

Totally forgot I was being recorded lol
Don't Be A Dick!

PackRat

Nice.

Pyramid Lake, Nevada? Went there several times when I lived in Reno.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

@ PackRat, sorry for the late response, this was actually at Pyramid lake in Ca. About an hour north of Los Angeles

Im glad so many people here enjoy fishing. Ive been a true fishing addict sice I was very young and I cant see that ending any time soon.
Don't Be A Dick!

PackRat

Decided to brave the cold front and head to the lake because the striped bass have been biting all week.

Totally skunked, but a good 3-4 hours of solitude; pretty much had the lake to myself.

Pretty sure that muskie - or possibly a gar - sheared my line again; 20lb test this time. Have to rig up something that will hold that s.o.b.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ Solitude is heavenly.... the older I get the more I crave it

You using good leaders when dealing with fish with teeth?

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

That's what I need is some heavy leaders.

Usually out there fishing for bass and crappie, but I think the apex predator in this cove is a 3-4 foot gar or muskie. Seems to hang out about 60-80 feet or so right off the pier. With no wind I can hit his spot with a small-mid size jig. I need to set up a stronger lead though; haven't done this kind of fishing since I left Minnesota in 1987 - fishing for northern pike using rubber duckies as bait.

The wife and daughter have told me a smaller gar has made it's home just below the pier and patrols the shoreline. May have to rethink my whole strategy for fishing this cove.

Still too use to fly fishing in the Cascades and Sierra Nevada when I was living in Reno.

Speaking of which, my fly rod sheared in two the other day - just old and brittle - so i need to put a new one of those on the list.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

lwfitz

Quote from: VastOne on January 09, 2015, 09:47:02 PM
^ Solitude is heavenly.... the older I get the more I crave it

You using good leaders when dealing with fish with teeth?

Boy thats the truth! I dont fish alone much anymore but I used to and it was fantastic. For me theres nothing better than putting in headphones and walking a beach throwing lures.

@ PackRat
Try using florocarbon leaders. Florocarbon is invisible underwater unlike mono and you could up your line weight without sacrificing how much your catching. Also florocarbon is more resilient to abrasion and teeth.
Don't Be A Dick!

lwfitz

Went out yesterday with some friends to kill a yellowtail or two. Landed one, handed one off to a friend to fight and broke off three or four.
We had a slight sprinkle until around 130pm when it really started coming down and we decided to head back.

Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

Wow... nice ones there lwfitz..

Those fun to fight and haul in?  How long of a fight?

You got a little bloody too... just from the fish?  What do you do with the fish also?

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Thanks buddy!

They are extremely fun to fish. They hit hard and run for the rocks so generally heavy line and an even heavier drag is recommended.
The first one I got was on a reel with 300 yards of 50lb braid (thickness of 12lb) and a 20lb florocarbon leader. That fish weighed about 25lbs and almost spooled me before I got him stopped and then it took about 25 min to land after that.
The second fish I hooked was on a heavier setup with 50lb braid and a 30lb leader. This fish stripped off 200 yards of line in about 30 seconds and took 20 min to land.

Yellowtail fight hard and are extremely smart. They run for rocks/reefs/kelp, anything that they can break you off in.

Like tuna its necessary to bleed the fish before it dies to keep the quality of the meat good. It wouldnt make you sick if you didnt bleed it but it wont taste very good. unfortunately this means that blood gets everywhere.

My customers love me. I supply many of them with fresh or fresh frozen (vacuum sealed) fish. Far better than anything youll get from a restaurant or the grocery store. Then what I dont give away I get to eat lol

Don't Be A Dick!

PackRat

Bass fishing in the swamplands along the Santee River:

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

lwfitz

Fished down in Colonet Mexico with some friends last weekend and decided to take the GoPro with me

Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

^ Epic stuff... at 6:25, who is the guy? Looks like an actor I have seen on several shows

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Glad you enjoyed it! Ive been fishing every second that Im not working for the last year and a half expecting the season to come to an end but it just isnt happening.

at 6:25 thats Pete. He has two lazy eyes and the only way to sneak up on him is to walk directly at him lol
Don't Be A Dick!