May 2014 Screenshots

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on May 04, 2014, 12:12:19 PM
Quote from: PackRat on May 04, 2014, 01:54:42 AM
It is smooth. I tweak it for my cpu and unload some of the video drivers - like trident - that I'll never use and pick up a bit of performance.

Using VSIDO for an NFS file/media server. Need to get it going as an (internal) ftp server; I carried over my ftp configuration from slackware (or so I thought), but something isn't right now. But all things considered VSIDO as server = happiness.

Great to hear that about a VSIDO server...  How do you go about the tweak and removal with the kernel?  That would be a great How To if you ever felt up to it

This is the method I use for a debian kernel -

http://verahill.blogspot.com/2012/07/compiling-kernel-35-on-debian-testing.html

You need to install kernel-package, fakeroot, and build-essential for this to work.

There is also a site called kernel seeds (kernelseeds.org I think) that has some good commands to determine your hardware - appears to be down at the moment.

The only additional step I do is after the make oldconfig command. Once you have answered all the questions, use the command -

make menuconfig

to bring up a graphical menu of your kernel config file. I make these changes -

Change the cpu type to my cpu - the default is generic 64 or 32 bit
Change the maximum number of CPUs to what you have or 2x what you have - the default is 512 CPUs and something like 8k of memory is alloted for each one.

The real changes are in the drivers sections - usually your hardware isn't going yo change, so you can remove plenty of stuff you don't have - like broadcom ethernet devices and trident video cards.

That decreases the size of the compiled kernel, as well as memory needed since those drivers are dropped - and won't get loaded.

Save the new config and finish the steps in that linked guide.

The performance increases are really only slight - it's more about building a more efficient kernel designed for your computer.

The Slackware beginners' guide and Arch Wiki have good HowTo's for building kernels that are generic build instructions.

oh right. screenshot thread; more funtoo - including the menu from "make menuconfig"

success; way harder than it needed to be -

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

jedi

hmm, maybe I should go with green?   ::)

Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

zbreaker

^
Verrrry close to blue!

Incredible desktop as usual jedi.
Trust Spring has warmed up northern Maine. :)

jedi

Thanks zbreaker, it is indeed starting to warm up!  Nothing green growing yet though...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

Green is nice; good job jedi, green is also tough to make work in a theme.

Two shots - desktop running VSIDO, laptop running Funtoo. I knew compiling everything would require more disk space, but not like this. Same basic setup as far as installed apps go - because vastone made awesome choices with VSIDO (note the installed packages though).

I went through the Funtoo and Gentoo install manuals again - they don't really point out how much disk space a "typical" desktop setup would require - just a 10 GB minimum for / mentioned in the Gentoo manual.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Quote from: PackRat on May 07, 2014, 04:50:03 PM

Green is nice; good job jedi, green is also tough to make work in a theme.

I agree, well done jedi!

Quote from: PackRat on May 07, 2014, 04:50:03 PM

Same basic setup as far as installed apps go - because vastone made awesome choices with VSIDO (note the installed packages though).

Thank you for this... I really enjoy all the apps installed, and must admit that I always hope everyone else does too... as anyone knows,  all requests are listened to and debated. To hear you say this makes my day!

I appreciate all you do and say Rat Man!  (If you have read Stephen King - The Stand, then you know Rat Man)
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

^ I read The Stand when I was living in Las Vegas. Now we have to tag a suitable forum member as the Trashcan Man  8)
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

M O O N that spells Trashy

That is a really easy one... lwfitz is Trash... just look at the spew from his avatar
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

zbreaker

^
Yes, lwfitz does indeed have a knack for disturbing avatars  :D

jedi

More for May...  Not really any changes other than wallpaper...

Forum Netiquette

zbreaker

And that wallpaper is otherworldly! Please do share.

jedi

Sure, get it below.  Glad you like!

Forum Netiquette

jeffreyC

I like that wall too, Thank you.

zbreaker

PackRat

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo