How To : Record effortlessly from terminal in VSIDO/Linux

VastOne

This How To is simple but incredibly valuable to me when I want to record from VSIDO/Linux.  I constantly record from Pithos/Pandora and put it on my Nexus for later play whilst practicing my love of golf. (Practice is fun but epically BORING)

Step One:

sudo apt-get install sox libsox-fmt-all

Step Two: Start Any music playing app or online stream such as Pithos/Pandora

Step Three: in terminal run

rec -C 320 callthiswhatyouwant.mp3

My example is

rec -C 320 "Pithos - Classic Rock Station II.mp3"

- this way I can already have it named for my music file structure

Step Four: Enter Pulse Audio Volume Control from any way you want ... from terminal it is

pavucontrol

From the Record Tab and Dropdown area select what is your recording device:

This is what I have on mine, once you have something recording you can see what is there and available

Step Five:  Record from terminal for as long as you want ... I have recorded as much as 12 hours at a time with no issues... at 320 bitrate quality that is quite the file size (over a gig, but well worth it)

Step Six:  Open any Tag program you like (EasyTag or Puddletag) and tag your file.  Then add it to your device or music library and ...

Profit!

This sox manpage gives you all the great details on the different parameters you can use for recording including using flac, ogg, different bit rates etc etc
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

You Can't Always Git What You Want

VastOne

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Make sure you note the edit of me adding the quotes in my example of:

rec -C 320 "Pithos - Classic Rock Station II.mp3"

As you know, linux needs quotes for spaces in command structures

I dev VSIDO

Digit

awesome.  sox thread.

i'm a long time user of sox.

99% of the time, i just use it merely as:rec file.flac~ no options, and i just hit ctrl-c when i am done recording.... making sure to let it carry on recording for a good few seconds more if it's been a very long recording, or it tends to chop off the end.

sox's manpage reveals more of its many uses, and i tend to think of it almost like it's imagemagick for audio, but i love it best for being able to quickly jot down something i need in audio, really quick.   ... hrmmm, i suppose i could script n keybind it so that i dont even need to type "rec andwhatevernameihavetothinkupfirstbeforeihitrecord.flac", n get to rename it after the fact.  :)

Snap

Thanks for bumping this up. SoX is always one of those things I always want to try and always forget about... Nice timing to try a crap christmas recording noob attempt.

statmonkey

Great stuff.  Completely forgot about sox.  I was actually looking for something else when I came across this and a better solution than mine (of course).  I had a bunch of sox scripts and like everything else ... no idea what I did with them.

Happy H'days everyone.

VastOne

I dev VSIDO

Snap

QuoteI had a bunch of sox scripts and like everything else ... no idea what I did with them.

Why this happens with scripts all the time?

If you happen to find them, please, share. We'll lose them all again for you.  :D  But maybe in the meantime we can make a good use of them.

zephyr

Decided to give this a shot, works as advertised. Simple set up and user friendly. Thanks - Z
CROWZ / STAR / Devuan / refracta / VSIDO

VastOne

Thanks Z

I continue to use this at least once a week to record my Pithos mix for running riding or working out

I dev VSIDO