Chromium or Iceweasel

superwow

@hakerdefo, thanks for your solution. I like this solution too (in addition / substitution to Hostblock). I'll have to try it out.

Gordon

Hi.

For me I liked Iceweasel until the latest release which doesn't work. I tried firefox but it wouldn't download for some reason or other so I am now using QupZilla, it isnt bad but I can't get it not to remember any history which annoys me. I have used opera in the past and found it to be ok but have never liked google chrome or Chromium. I tried to download SwiftFox but it doesn't appear to be available on a 64 bit machine. Still I will find one I like eventually  :)
Cheers :D
Gordon
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-MA69G-S3H , 8 Gb Ram, Realtek RX550 Graphics,  VSIDO

jedi

Hey Gordon, try out the Firefox Nightly release version!  It is awesome and gets updated nightly.  You can get it from the following link;

https://nightly.mozilla.org/
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

Gordon

Hi jedi

Thanks for the link. tried it all out and couldn't understand why it didn't work. Just tried or about to download again and read a bit more. its all intel and I am using AMD so will have to try from somewhere else   :)
Gordon

jedi

Actually, I got the idea to use the nightly build from VastOne during the last Iceweasel problem a few versions back.  I know that all of VastOne's equipment, (or most of it anyway) is AMD as well.  I'm pretty sure it shouldn't make any difference on the chip architecture as long as you don't pull a switcheroo from 64bit to 32bit or vice-versa.  Just download the correct tar.bz2 file, and extract it to your home directory.
If your using Fluxbox, in the menu you'll see a Fluxbox selection, under that you'll find the 'Fluxbox Menu Editor' and from there you can make a simple link to the correct 'firefox' file in your newly created '/home/Gordon/firefox/firefox'.  The icon can be found in the icon folder in one of the subdirectories of /home/Gordon/firefox.  Once you've created this new menu entry, using the 'Fluxbox Menu Editor', just save and quit.  Again, from the Fluxbox menu, (the one you get to open by right clicking anywhere on your desktop) select the 'Fluxbox' selection, under that you'll see a selection that says 'Restart Fluxbox', just click on that and you should be good to go.  There should now be a new entry in your Fluxbox menu that points to the newly extracted Firefox Nightly build that you extracted to your /home/Gordon/firefox directory.
The nice thing about the nightly build, is that it auto updates itself everyday, (or nightly as is usually the case, thus the name "Firefox Nightly") and is the latest and greatest from the Mozilla team.
Since using this version of the Mozilla browser, I've had no issues whatsoever.  If you need further help, just let me know...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

Gordon

Hi jedi.

Well I have tried again with no luck. I have downloaded Linux(intel,64bit) from the desktop menu and tried extract to from the dropdown menu and tar xvjf firefox-31.0a1.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2 which initself places in in b2g none of which will let me run firefox. Am i supposed to to do something else as well ?
Gordon

PackRat

In a terminal, cd to your newly extracted firefox directory. Try to run firefox from the command line -

./firefox

be sure to use the ./ so that the firefox binary in the new directory is called, otherwise the first instance of firefox on your PATH will execute.

Note if there are any error messages. You're using an alpha release so you may have some file version conflicts.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

Gordon

hi PackRat.

Thanks for that. I have just run that command as root in all four locations  ( filestream , b2g , home , gordon ) and all I get is bash: ./firefox: No such file or directory so I guess that I hve done something wrong again.   No idea what though  :(
Gordon

PackRat

That should have worked - I'm using it right now to post.

Here are my steps.

1. in your home directory (I'll use /home/gordon in this example) create a directory where you want firefox - don't name it firefox, I'll use browser for this example
2. Download the Linux (Intel, 64-bit) version from the Desktop section in the link provided by jedi - download into the directory you created
3. Extract the file:

tar -xvjf firefox-31.0a1.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2

4. change to the directory that has the firefox binary

cd /home/gordon/browser/firefox

5. run ./firefox as before - no need to be root - and the firefox nightly build should now start.

If you're the only user on your computer, you can set up your menus to use this firefox now, or create a symlink in a directory that is on your path.

If there are other users, adjust Step 1 so the directory or download isn't in your home directory, you'll probably need to use root permissions for that. Then create a symlink to a directory that is common to every users path.

For example:

sudo mkdir /opt/browser

download file to /home/gordon/downloads and copy to /opt/browser and extract it there. Once it's extracted, create a symlink to a common path directory:

sudo cp /home/gordon/downloads/firefox-31.0a1.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2 /opt/browser/

sudo tar -xvjf /opt/browser/firefox-31.0a1.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2

sudo ln -s /opt/browser/firefox/firefox /usr/local/bin/firefox

Note that creating the browser directory is optional since extracting the file creates a firefox directory; you can copy the file directly to /opt then extract and make the symlink if you prefer.

And this thread has been totally highjacked so the discussion should probably move (be moved) to the help section.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi PackRat,

Guess I am not destined not to have firefox nightly as all I am getting now is a download error. I will try again sometime later  :D :D
Gordon

PackRat

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi All

Well I got there in the end. I am now on nightly. I had to install Iceweasel to download the package from the nightly site. There is obviously something wrong with Qupzilla but no idea what as it also messed up reading my emails. Needless to say that I wont be using it again. All I have to now is learn how to sort out nightly  ;D Knowing me I probably mess it up a couple of time first though, much fun to be had  ::)
Gordon