VSIDO 2014_01_13.iso Feedback

hakerdefo

A power failure and an eternity [my internet speed after a certain usage drops down to blazing-amazing 30KBPS] later I finally gave a spin to 32 bit flavor of VSIDO 2014_01_13.iso. And my impression?
Kudos to VastOne  8)
A job well done  8)
A near perfect experience  8)
9 out of 10  8)
Why only 9 I hear you say  ;)
Well only little gripe I had was tint2 housing wicd in the top right corner was clashing with window controls. Close button of any maximize window was inaccessible as clicking there would open wicd menu. This was in live session. Sadly I don't presently have a spare partition so I wasn't able to install this VSIDO image.
VSIDO is for sure going in the right direction.
Cheers.
You Can't Always Git What You Want

VastOne

Thanks for that review hakerdefo

I am aware if the upper right tint2 issue and am working on resolving it... I have tried making fluxbox remember all positions but for some reason not all of them remember correctly for me (xfce4-terminal is one)

I will look for other ways to correct it
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I did correct the tint2 issue on the top right... from now on it will always be under any application

Changing it in tint2 breaks the systray function in that panel... Still searching

Thanks!

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

What are you trying to accomplish (I forget what the default behavior is suppose to be)?

but the combination -

panel_layer = bottom
panel_strut_policy = follow_size

in the tint2rc I used for a pager with a system tray, will reserve space for the tint2 bar and doesn't effect the system tray on my set up.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ That is why I asked you!  8)  ;D

Thanks ... that setting is exactly what was needed, I appreciate it

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

No problem -

seems to always come down to getting the layer and strut policies matched up correctly. I always have to keep in  mind that fluxbox is coded to use 13 layers (not 3) and designed to work with it's native toolbar (panel).

sidebar note - I'm actually delving into that a bit as it relates to iconify and "show desktop".
[end] sidebar #don't derail thread.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ Do you ever see these settings fail?

I have it running all day on this machine... no issues, but now I cannot do anything with the icons on systray

On the build machines... the settings do not work unless run from terminal or xfrun4... they do not work when ran from FluxBox startup

On a ISO livecd boot, they work from anywhere... but on the install it is back to not working unless run from terminal or xfrun4...

Very strange behavior

I dev VSIDO

zbreaker

Installed the latest 32 bit build and I must say I am impressed as always. This baby burns.
My only gripe will echo hackerdefo regarding the tint2/wicd in that upper right corner.
Have to admit, I find myself booting more and more into VISIDO lately and less into Slackware 8)

VastOne

^ that is one hell of a compliment zbreaker!

Thanks man!

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

No I don't see those settings fail, but then again, I don't run that tint2 pager too often - it's basically something to hack on. I use the native fluxbox toolbar, systemtray, and clock for my PackRat account. I have a test usrname (scarecrow) that use for problem solving.

I may have another fix for that tint2 bar with the system tray; do you know if tint2 can be opened with a unique class name. Conky has

own_window_class
own_window_title

does tint2 have an equivalent?
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ No... nothing similar to that at all.. It does have a background id and I tested it but it did not change anything

One of the strangest things I have ever seen..

I am changing it back to what it was as

panel_layer = top

This way I know it works and all a user has to do is move a window / app that may have moved behind that panel

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

I created a new user so I could get the default aesthetics - took me about 5 min to realize I have the lxpanel version ... doh!

Anyway, set up tint2 panels - one at the bottom, and one with systray and clock up top. I did lose the use of the icons in the systemtray, but got the functionality back when I killed and restarted tint2. Tweaked the sleep settings in the fluxbox startup and have not recreated the issue yet.

Right now I'm leaning toward a startup or start order issue between two tint2 panels, compton, conky when those settings are used.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

I was suspecting the same thing... I will test several different variants and orders of the startup until I am comfortable with it

Jedi has told me on the IRC he never sees this behavior and he has extended the sleep time on several tint2 configs that he uses

We shall get to the bottom of it

Thanks Rat Man!

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I added a 10s delay to the systray tint2 and it seems to have resolved the issue

Can make that an easy change...

Thanks for the feedback Rat Man!

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

Beauty lies in the eyes of beholder and personally I prefer only single panel at bottom. Like the one here,
http://vsido.org/index.php?topic=58.msg365#msg365
I've no idea why this one is not default in VSIDO  :o
But again "Beauty lies in the eyes of beholder."  ;)
Cheers.
You Can't Always Git What You Want