Polling Rules for SpaceFM and udevil

VastOne

Based on this input at the SpaceFM forum I have made 61-removable-storage-polling.rules the default in VSIDO.  Polling rules need to be established since we use udevil as the default in VSIDO

For anyone wanting to incorporate it now in the most recent installs of VSIDO or if you are using udevil, just run the following as root

echo 'ACTION=="add", ATTR{removable}=="1", ATTR{events_poll_msecs}=="-1", ATTR{events_poll_msecs}="2500"' > /etc/udev/rules.d/61-removable-storage-polling.rules
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

Whoa!!! that is some serious stuff.  Great job VastOne.  Fitting for me as I have been reading that thread and trying to figure out kernel polling and how to make it more efficient.  I actually was looking at incorporating inotify (due to another project) and inotify-tools to accomplish some of it.  Interesting stuff and again, nice work.

I am actually running a build from Early October.  Will this work for me?

VastOne

Hey statmonkey,

As long as you have the SpaceFM config that I detailed here, SpaceFM will have udevil as the default.  Even without udevil polling is still useful

From the SpaceFM IgnorantGuru Blog

QuoteWhen using SpaceFM without udisks, and without the udisks-daemon running, you may need to enable kernel polling for device media changes to be detected. For example, if you insert a CD and SpaceFM still says 'no media', this is a symptom that kernel polling is not enabled.

Kernel polling is a new feature of the Linux kernel and udev, so most distros don't yet have it enabled. Even if you are using udisks, enabling kernel polling is recommended to eliminate the need for udisks to do userspace polling. Kernel polling also corrects a common issue where the eject button on a drive won't respond with the newer udev when udisks is not used.

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

Thanks VastOne.  I should have done this in the reverse (that is actually reading the thread you linked to before posting).  I did follow the initial post you mentioned and have kernel polling set up the way I want it.  I saw "customized configuration" in my mind and got all jittery :)  Thanks for the follow up.

VastOne

I dev VSIDO