VSIDO openbox

omns

Quote from: Sector11 on January 21, 2013, 12:00:28 AM
Now Don't get me wrong, I love #! and still do. It's based on "testing" and as solid as a rock, despite what they say.
Technically, that's not correct despite Waldorf (based on testing) being the current release. The Statler release was based on Stable. Waldorf was the development (testing based) release until a few weeks ago when corenominal made the decision that it is already stable enough and it is now the recommended download with Statler removed from the main download page. When Wheezy is released there will be a final stable Waldorf release and CrunchBang will continue to be a stable release distro.

VastOne

That's interesting news bodhiri ... Still being a moderator there you would think I would have seen that news.

I must have missed the announcement
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

omns

:D Well you've been a little busy I guess :)

dizzie

CB/Sid would be nice, but that might never happen... But you never know :)
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

jst_joe

Quote from: bodhiri on January 25, 2013, 12:06:16 AM
Quote from: jst_joe on January 23, 2013, 12:47:02 AM
Now Don't get me wrong, I love #! and still do. It's based on "testing" and as solid as a rock, despite what they say.
Technically, that's not correct despite Waldorf (based on testing) being the current release. The Statler release was based on Stable. Waldorf was the development (testing based) release until a few weeks ago when corenominal made the decision that it is already stable enough and it is now the recommended download with Statler removed form the main download page. When Wheezy is released there will be a final stable Waldorf release and CrunchBang will continue to be a stable release distro.

Actually if you reread the posts Sector11 made that statement and I agree with him.
Hell I run Waldorf on my laptop that's only capable of running  an x686 kernel.
VSIDO
The view's not that bad you just have to punch the knothole out.

Sector11

@ bodhiri

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't jst_joe that said:

.. that was me.

And as I read your comment, I heard Mr Nimzicki of ID4 saying, "Uh... Mr. President. That's not entirely accurate."

It's a bit confusing. I have determined it is a matter of tense:
  • it wasn't testing,
  • it is testing,
  • it won't be testing

* I hit post and jst_joe beat me to the punch.
Stay Home

jst_joe

Fresh from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Quote from: corenominal
Updated Waldorf images are available now.

It has been approximately 3 months since the previous Waldorf images were built, so I figured the time was right to upload some updated builds. To be honest, I was tempted to wait until Debian Wheezy migrates to stable before updating the builds, but Debian being Debian (released when ready), it could mean waiting a week, a month, or even a year (although best estimates indicate it could be ~3 months).

Anyhow, the new images contain some fixes to the installer that affected installations performed using DVD media. Personally, I tend to install via a USB stick (the recommended method), so I had not come across the bug myself, until somebody else mentioned it. The bug appeared as an error message just before the GRUB install screen, where it asked the user to insert an additional disk. To fix this, I have applied some patches to the apt-setup component of the Debian Installer. I have tested the fixes on a couple of machines and they appear to work, however, it would be good to have them tested by others.

Other minor changes of note are:

Iceweasel updated to version 18.

VLC has replaced GNOME-MPlayer -- back by popular demand.

A Policy Kit Local Authority file has been added to enable easy mounting of internal drives within Thunar.

xfce4-power-manager has been patched to fix a long standing issue whereby the battery status icon would cause a visual error within tint2's system tray, after a system had been suspended and resumed.

As with the previous updated Waldorf images, other changes have been kept to an absolute minimum and any existing Waldorf users should not need to perform a new installation, unless they wish to help with testing the install process.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed feedback, ideas, patches, code and financial help. CrunchBang would not be possible without you! I hope you enjoy these updated builds.

Happy CrunchBangin'!
VSIDO

VastOne

I did see and read all of that but did not see where Statler was taken down and Wally was now the preferred dload...

Sleeping at the switch, I am, yes...

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

@ dizzie... What in the world does VSIDO Xfce have to do with Icons?

If there are any outside of the menus (same as in OB) and tint2 panels (same as in OB) on your desktop then we have an issue...

One can love Xfce and still hate icons.. that would be me, yes...  ;D

I dev VSIDO

Sector11

One can love any DE or WM and hate Desktop Icons - that would be me too.
Stay Home

jst_joe

Quote from: VastOne on January 25, 2013, 03:35:11 AM
I did see and read all of that but did not see where Statler was taken down and Wally was now the preferred dload...

I'm not reading it that way either.
VSIDO

jst_joe

Statler is still stable.
Waldorf is still testing.
Hope that helps. :)
VSIDO

omns

Quote from: VastOne on January 25, 2013, 03:35:11 AM

I didn't say Statler was taken down, just that Waldorf is now the default/preferred/recommended download. I did say it was removed which it has been from the default download page. A link exists there now if you still want Statler.

corenominal's thinking on this is explained later in the thread

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=284563#p284563

VastOne

Ahh Thanks mate, that cleared it all up!

Appreciate it!

I dev VSIDO