lxpanel-taskbar icons

ew

Does anyone know where the taskbar icons in lxpanel is fetched from? Because all the launcher icons are fine, and there I can manually choose those that aren`t by editing the desktop-files. But what about the task-icons? For some apps the resolution on the task-icons is way to low to look good in a panel with big icons/buttons. So do I have to look around to manually replace small icons with larger ones in any location where it might be fetched from, or is there a way to detect where the origin is?
-ew
-----------------------------
"What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say "Windows sucks" and start banging your head against the wall."
--- Denis Vlasenko on lkml

VastOne

Any task will have it's own defined icon that is from the application or a .desktop environment

If you look  how the VSIDO lxpanel config is you would see this

Config {
        Button {
            id=/usr/share/applications/icew.desktop

That icew.desktop is where I tell both the launcher and the task what icon to use...

Others may not have a .desktop file, or may have a poorly defined image in the .desktop file..

An example would help and one that I do know of is xarchiver... it's image is lame and very poor quality so if I want to change that I would go to

/usr/share/applications/xarchiver.desktop and locate what icon it is using which is

Icon=xarchiver

If I wanted to change that icon, I would do this

Icon=/path/to/icon/iconIwant.png

All icons in VSIDO is from /usr/share/icons/LinuxLex-8

You can add to those is you want, or install additional icon packages
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

ew

Strange. I`m aware of that, but I have a issue where this isn`t respected. This app hasn`t got an icon in Linux-Lex, so I had to set it manually.

As an example, this is from my lxpanel-config:
Button {
            id=/usr/share/applications/spotify.desktop
        }

And in the spotify.desktop:
Icon=/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/spotify-client.png

But the result is unexpected, as the launcher-icon looks good,
while the taskbar-icon looks horrible. As you can see in this shot:
-ew
"What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say "Windows sucks" and start banging your head against the wall."

VastOne

I would do a search of all spotify files on the computer, locate all of the icons form that search and then replace that one with a quality one
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

ew

Quote from: VastOne on November 08, 2013, 03:17:53 PM
I would do a search of all spotify files on the computer, locate all of the icons form that search and then replace that one with a quality one

Good advice. I`ll do that. Hopefully there will not be to many of those to replace :)

There`s another tiny issue with my bottom lxpanel. It seems that the taskbar icons is slightly smaller, than the launcher icons. There is a few pixels more space below the task-icons. Is this something that`s known and intended, or only something that happens with me?
-ew