makethumb - Zenity script for burning images to USB

VastOne

@ statmonkey,

Your makethumbv2.1 file is a 0 byte file..  Did a wire get crossed?
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

yad is a fork of zenity for those that haven't heard of it - I think zenity went a while without a maintainer so someone forked it.

The default SlackBuild installs yad to /usr/bin so a simple -

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/yad /usr/bin/zenity

does the trick.

As far as I know, the two are nearly 100% compatable.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

No, that was not intentional.  That took forever to upload not sure why it didn't work. Anyway it's all good, it gives me a chance to write in a little sanity check for VastOne that will make sure you have a USB mounted otherwise it will exit.  I had missed that because I usually have 4 or 5 external drives mounted whenever I am working, so it was always going to see a usb of some type.  I just overlooked the fact that I am not "normal". No, Digit no need for you to comment. :)

Packrat that is brilliant, I never thought of that.  I used to write everything in yad and then when I was using CB no one else was using it so went back to zenity.  Slavinko forked it from zenity due to some inefficiencies in zenity that weren't being addressed back in the day.  I am pretty sure that there are only middling differences in coding between the two now but haven't looked lately.  I do want to check those out again, thanks for the push.

VastOne

^ The USB check for dummies (VastOne guide) works perfectly...

I have a couple of suggestions to keep this in a more fluent work flow... let me know what any of you think

I think this will grow and more and more zenity and yad scripts will flow... My first suggestion is to create a child board just for that calling it VSIDO Zenity/Yad Collections under Scripts & How To's

From there have a separate thread for each new project started...

The second suggestion is to always go back with files that have been uploaded and keep each at the same level.  If you have uploaded for example vastone_is_dumb.sh and then create and upload vastone_is_dumbII.sh, make sure both links have the same file... this way a user will always get the same files no matter what. 

I would recommend even further that statmonkey and anyone creating scripts to start your own sourceforge or github account and then you would not only have a work flow where you could have all versions,  you would also then only have to provide a link for the files...

These are my thoughts... let me know what y'all think

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

All great suggestions, in fact have a couple more that I have been meaning to put up and was hesitating for that very reason - confused on where to put them.  If you or one of our helpful mods can move this great.  Definitely think separate threads are in order.

I was in the process of doing that very thing when I saw this post.  Already removed the empty 2.1. I will go through the dmenu thing and clean that up as well.

I have a sf for my work stuff so will look at github. My clients are rather s ends in d so I should probably not confuse them. :)

VastOne

^ I'll begin setting it up...

I prefer sourceforge myself... I like the projects mode there

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I have reorganized Script's and How To's

I have also upped the attachment sizes so that larger files can be uploaded

I dev VSIDO

statmonkey

Nice job VastOne.  I do have some others I'll post in here. 

Additionally set up makethumb on sf available here https://sourceforge.net/projects/makethumb/