Custom builds (casemodding too)

dizzie

Don't tell me that everyone but me uses storebought prebuild/made PC... So yeah i'll start a new trend here : Modding/hacking(hardware)

This is my main server, and with FreeNAS + plugins/jails it does everything I want + more >>

1. Fileserver (CIFS, NFS, Appleshare (Yes I have a Mac so fuck you)
2. SFTP HTTPS (Because...)
3. DLNA (music and movies to my TV and xbox(Fuck you again, I dont like playstation)
4. Firefly (iTunes library anywhere everrywhere)
5. (check #2)

What I still need to get going is : a mailserver and add my domainnames to this box (i have a few i'd like to run and maintain locally)
And in time, I think i'll run everything from here (server stuff mostly)

Hardware specs? Click the image :)

I almost forgot the modding part : I ripped the usb-frontpanel off one of my older cases and fastened it inside (near the backpanel with zip ties) where the FreeNAS OS is booted from  :P
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

wh7qq

Dizzie, it looks like a great box. 

I too am a DIY addict.  The box I use most these days was built to be as quiet and green as possible and I went a bit overboard.  It is based on an Intel D2700MUD board so yes, it is an Atom.  It is sped up by using a 32G SSD and really works quite well except for one GLARING defect:  The on-board GMA 3650 graphics chip is a looser!  Except for some older Squeeze distros like SalineOS and Mint LMDE, it will not do anything but 1280x768 screens.  I have tried everything I can think of up to and including custom kernel builds to get this bugger to give me either a 1920x1024 or a 1280x1024 screen to no avail.  "xrandr" shows no support for either screen size on newer distros. Alas, no way to put a real graphics card on it! 

The main virtue of this box is that the total power is about 35 watts and with so little PS dissipation, I run a slow fan in it and in the case.  The CPU just has a big heat sink.  The box is in my bedroom and I can barely hear it at night in our very quiet rural location.  Nice for using the free download time on my satellite ISP. 

I also have an HTPC with a Zotac/AMD64/nVidia mobo and another desktop with a Gigabyte/AMD64 base. both of these have 1 TB Western Dig hard drives.  The HTPC runs Mythbuntu which works great with my SiliconDust HDHomeRun TV tuner-on-network box.