VirtualBox builds

VastOne

Just finished setting up the latest ISO's in VirtualBox...

X64 ISO booted to 89 MiB on first boot

i386 ISO booted to 67 MiB on first boot

I had been using real USB and installs to my local machine for testing.    I am now going to switch to using VB as the test source.  It also is great for testing changes to the build machines on small laptop and notebook screens
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Virtualbox is how I've been doing testing as well.  It is also a great way to "distro hop" without a lot of worry about your 'go-to' machine!  I've even got "Snow Leopard" installed and running in a VM so I can watch Netflix on my laptop!  (all it's really good for, Snow Leopard that is)
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

ozitraveller

That's how I'm testing my images too. ;)

I find building a problem in a vm, unless I make the vm space huge. I have destroyed a few vms building on them. :(

jedi

The trick ozitraveller is to choose the "dynamically allocated" Virtual Hard drive.  I always choose 30Gb's as my size.  However since it is dynamic it only uses the space that your install requires.  This way your not using all your drive space, as would happen in a "Fixed Size" Virtual Hard drive.  The dynamically allocated hard drive will only use space on you actual physical hard drive until it fills up to the actual 'fixed size' you select in the setup of the VM, thus saving tons of space.

Hope this helps...

I think at the moment I have 13 functioning VM's using about 30Gb's of space total.  That's with each one of those 13 VM's having 30Gb's assigned to them.  If I was using the fixed space option that would be taking up a total of at least 390GB!  Like I said, "Dynamically Allocated" is the way to go...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

ozitraveller

Thanks jedi, that's what I ended up doing. :)  Doing lb clean didn't necessarily remove all the cruft either.

Garthhh

Virtual build stuck during install

mageia 4 [rpm based] 64bit
virtualbox ver 4.3.6 from repo
Vsido from torrent
I can complete install, but nothing happens after reboot except prompt on a terminal
I've tried trying to get the bootorder changed...
the MBR is on virtual root
there's some easy thing I'm missing