feedback it is...

PwL

VastOne asked - carelessly and obviously of misdirected politeness - of my Vsido impressions... So, here is somewhat chaotic feedback:

I poke and tweak. So, every distro I had has been mercilessly disfigured. Vsido - probably less of them all.
Here come changes I did make, or I didn't make. It's not meant to be 'the right way', of course, but simply - how I like it. If someone finds here something usable - good.

- It probably is good idea to have 'unified' desktop look over all sessions. At first I removed tint2 from Xfce... and then put it back. Different Xfce-panel annoyed me.
- Only thing I have on my 'desktop' is bottom ribbon: Tint2 at left, 70% width, LTS. Conky takes last 30% and has short info in 2 lines (including clock). I removed menu from launchers. Right-click is enough. I like tasks hanging there, with names. In systray I have show-hide-desktop script from #! forum, then volumeicon and xxkb.
- I use Linuxlex icons for all my distros - I really like them. But I have swapped some of them - I tend to use dark tones, and (some) originals kinda disappeared into background (terminal...etc).
- By the way, I added icons to Openbox menu - it looks pleasantly blingy.
- When I installed Vsido last time - in May, Synaptic didn't have a quick search bar... means apt-xapian-index. I find it useful and always install it.
- I stick SpaceFM into every distro I have. To every Xfce too. It's superb. I haven't found anything else as good. Candidates?
- By my experience - experimental Iceweasel was a bag of bugs. Replaced it with Firefox.
- I use FsArchiver, and find it to be A Good Thing. But I haven't found use for /live folder sitting in root and/or live-tools + refracta...
- And I pimp those: FbReader - nice lean e-book reader. Qbittorrent is better than Transmission.
- Do we need kernel-remover when there is smxi installed?
- I always add 'ShowHidden=true' to .config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini
- I 'hack' .bashrc, and make terminal a bit colorful, also for root.
- I use .Xdefaults from Xubuntu 12.10 to make crappy Xscreensaver to look a bit better.
- Vsido-exit script is an animal - it works even on Salix which I transplanted with Openbox.
- And I am quite angry with Lightdms' last iterations - some configurability is gone and for some reasons I don't have sessions anymore in greeter menu... Thinking black thoughts of downgrading or Slim.

Really - no other distro escaped with so little. Vsido IS good.

VastOne

Wow... great feedback!  Thanks PwL!

I will answer each of these (or try to)...

1 - To my knowledge, all three DE's are unified in look... as close to as possible that is.  Basically, the desktop background, tint2 and conky are what are the same.  The menu's are obviously different in each but have the same applications

2 - Please share this show-hide-desktop script... I am interested in it... everything with tint2 and conky is personal... I am glad to see you making tint2 to your tastes.. We have a tint2 thread, I would to see your configs there so I can test them ... please

3 - Share your additions to LinuxLex... I will add them to the over all builds..  I brought up adding icons to the O/B menu but it did not go over well

4 - I wanted to add apt-xapian-index but it has a massive dependency list and needs adding way too much to the ISO size so I nixed it

5 - Since I have found SpaceFM, I use nothing else

6 - Ice and FF are the same... no matter what is stated anywhere, they are the same...  Are you saying a different version of FF, none Aurora?

7 - /live folder sitting in root and/or live-tools + refracta... are hold overs from previous build attempts and testing...kind of a no harm no foul decision to leave them there... so ppl can explore them

8 - last time I use Qbittorrent it was buggy as heck... I prefer it ... but a lot of folks also like Transmission...

9 - kernel-remover is one of those long time scripts that has I have grown fond of using... I keep it because not everyone uses smxi

10 - 'I always add 'ShowHidden=true' to .config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini'  ... Why?  What does this do?

11 - Post your settings, or start a thread just on this... It would be cool

12 - I do not use a screensaver but will incorporate the .Xdefaults

13 -  ;D

14 - LightDM's sessions are now part of the top menu and no longer there... I am disappointed in the changes but still find it the best login manager out there

Whew... great job PwL!
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

@vastone - for #10, I believe that setting will show dotfiles by default for File -> Open/Save etc ... operations.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ ahhh thanks PackRat

That will become the default in the future

I dev VSIDO

PwL

I definitely hold people who really read and also replay in high regard. So - thanx for detailed answers.
- yes - it's for dot files. I want to see everything...
- Unified look: I wanted to say that I found through trial-and-error that your way is the right one. Keep it unified.
- I will put 'showdesktop' up to /scripts. also my tints and conkys.
- Sure. But this takes a bit time - I have been careless and the result is some different Linuxlex folders. I will merge them and ... what is the best way to make them available? Bloody folder is over 50M...
- What do you mean? People don't want icons in OB menu, or technical reasons?
- FF: took 64bit from Mozilla servers, installed to /opt. With sudo firefox, it even upgrades stright from it's menu. I am using Iceweasel in my wheezy OB, in stable form it's complitely OK.
- Live-tools: No harm, really. Sometimes it irks me when 'find' finds a meter-long list, and half of it sits in /live. Also, when I tried to 'remove' live-tools I got error (something about overwriting a file, but 'can not') and I ended up with half-installed package...
- Yeah, I also use Xscreensaver infrequently but ... the original really is horrible.
- I suspected that. And I did found them in up-corner too... And you are very probably right - there is no substitute good enough.
Ok, I go and see if I can upload something.

VastOne

Thanks PwL... I will look for your uploads

- Yes, people did not want to mess with the Minimalism of the OB menu... If you can, upload your xml of it and I will take a look at it

I am going to take another look at Qbittorrent

I dev VSIDO

PwL

Here is menu attached, and for fun I added also themerc I use in Vsido (and everywhere else, with different colors). Original was Seven.
VastOne, you are probably missing some icons, they weren't in original LLex... I am not entirely sure which ones :)

Minimalism? Well, matter of taste. I quite like some bling - as long as it's not animating and compizzing.