PwL Introduction

PwL

And Hallo to everyone.
Has been lurking here from March - as also using Vsido. Started with Linux somewhere in November '12, and Vsido was my first not-(x)Ubuntu. And I suppose Vsido was one of the best things for me, educationwise. Eminently functional and pleasantly hackable. It still is my distro number one. Though, now closely followed by Slackware.
Thanks VastOne, for super-distro, and lotsa tutorials here and in Crunchbang.
PS! But I find it mildly irritating that registration doesn't  allow to answer 'pigs' question as 'of course they do'.

VastOne

^ Welcome PwL... I have been waiting for you!  Waiting for that first post that states 'Started with Linux somewhere in November '12, and Vsido was my first not-(x)Ubuntu'

I was curious as to how VSIDO would be for the real newcomer and what this forum and it's users would provide.  You are my litmus test!  I am incredibly grateful to have you here as part of VSIDO.  Your first post shows your skills in digging down to the core of this issue.  Are you still at 3.8-13?  Have you tried 3.9-11?

I wish I could add 'of course they do' as an answer... the mod is limited to Yes/No...  >:(

Good to see another Floyd fan!

I look forward to seeing more of you, and your impressions on what can be better. 

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PwL

Yeah, for me Vsido was just right - I had already reached kinda stable level with Xubuntu - and Vsido was mighty exciting, especially Openbox. I even Openboxed Xubuntu afterwards, and then dropped it from use (Xubuntu, I mean)... as Debian Sid tickled my fancy a lot more.
And if you so nicely ask of my opinion - then one general thing: I personally use Xfce nowadays only very infrequently. But remembering how good crutch it was for me when I wrestled with Openbox beginnings - I think you should keep it in your triple setup. Despite that you all here seem to be enamored to FB :) .
Now, current problem. Yes, I had Liquorix up to last ver., and also 10s and 9s still undeleted, I tried them - but 3.8.13 was the first to behave ok (with this a bit older Nvidia smxi put there).
It definitely is Xorg-upgrade+Nvidia thing.
And too bad that you got it so hard - compared to my puny Compton tricks.
Well, for compensation - I have had some two weeks now occasional freezes with Synaptic. Not that I use it for installing, but mostly for looking package-info. Means, no big harm done. Still, it makes me think of unkind things I would like to do to Synaptic.
Ups - I didn't plan to write a short story...

jedi

Hey PwL!  Glad to 'officially' have you here!  I was a 'once upon a time' user of the 'buntu myself.  A not so bad starting point for the new Linux user.  VSIDO is my distro of choice as well.  Anything you need you just ask.  There are enough of us here that you shouldn't have a long wait to get any answer you need!  (Even about Pigs)  We also have an IRC channel at #VSIDO which you are more than welcome to join.  We have some really great conversations there!!!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PwL

thanks jedi.
Just yesterday I had to 'restfs' my Vsido - after particularly destructive research to gnomish upstarts like gvfs and at-spi2-core. So - I might ask something alright... after I can formulate my current interest in some clear form.
And after I - maybe - take up Vastones' careless invitation to share my impressions (of Vsido).

Digit

i hope you're still around.  would be great to hear more from those whom vsido is intended to be accessible to.

it might be sid, n now uses a mere waif of a window manager instead of a popular fatty of a desktop environment... but it's still ground floor accessible... we hope.