Ubuntu Forums Security Breach!

jedi

Just as a warning to anyone with an Ubuntu Forums account.  If your username and password are the same as the one you used at Ubuntu Forums, they have had a security breach.  Anyplace where you were using the same username and password, you'll probably want to make sure to change it.  (i.e. here, email, etc.)

Ubuntu has not been up since the breach, and you can see for yourself the warning they are posting as they rebuild their forums.  http://ubuntuforums.org/announce.html

This is the direct quote from their site;
The passwords are not stored in plain text, they are stored as salted hashes. However, if you were using the same password as your Ubuntu Forums one on another service (such as email), you are strongly encouraged to change the password on the other service ASAP.

Just a heads up for those of you who may have used their forums in the past, but no longer frequent them.
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

I am beginning to wonder if that site will ever be back online... I think this may be a veiled attempt at Ubuntu to take back their Forums as their own...  It would definitely be a good time to do so.  The folks that run that now are a bit insane IMO ... too hard ass and in love with themselves
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

^ Well said and exactly why I dont go on there.
Don't Be A Dick!

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on July 26, 2013, 02:34:19 AM
I am beginning to wonder if that site will ever be back online... I think this may be a veiled attempt at Ubuntu to take back their Forums as their own...  It would definitely be a good time to do so.  The folks that run that now are a bit insane IMO ... too hard ass and in love with themselves

Interesting take on the situation. I have not been over there for a while, when you say the folks that run it are you talking about a new group of mods, or people that do most of the posting?
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

The moderators and the content control are what I am referring to...
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

falldown

Actually several sites have been hacked in a similar manner as Ubuntu within this past month including SMF...
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=508232.0