HDMI Audio <SOLVED>

lwfitz

No matter what I do I am unable to get audio working via HDMI

lspci -v | grep Audio (onboard audio disabled)

01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series]

aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Any ideas?

Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

Open alsamixer in terminal and make sure your card is selected

Use the arrow key over to S/PDIF and make sure it says 00 and not MM. Use the m key to change it.  If there are two S/PDIF settings do the same with both

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Already done and I have the onboard audio disabled through the bios so the only audio source is HDMI
Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

Strange... alsa is seeing it fine then.  Are you trying it in GMB?  I also have pulse installed but that does not make a difference

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

No, I was actually trying to play something in a browser. But I have tried with pithos and now with gmb and get the same result. No audio  >:(
Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Seems very similar except that in that case there is some audio and I have none at all.

Im using the preinstalled drivers, maybe thats the issue? Problem is I dont think catalyst will install on the 3.9 kernel. I might just have to use the onboard audio with external speakers.

Heading home and will see if I can get this figured out on my home PC too
Don't Be A Dick!

jedi

hey lwfitz.  I think I remember something about this in the past.  I also think it came down to being something to do with Catalyst.  Wish I could be more helpful.  Also, I may be talking out of the other side of my mouth!  It may have just been a bad dream.  (I personally have never utilized the HDMI hardware on my lappy since starting all this excitement!)  I've also been under the impression that the HDMI audio is controlled via the video card and only works if plugged in via an HDMI cable.  However, I'm not sure of that either.

So in other words, just forget I made this post!!!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

lwfitz

:D :D Jedi!

I believe your right on about most of that actually  ??? ???

I think I need to get catalyst. That will be my goal for tomorrow!
Don't Be A Dick!

lwfitz

Ok I got everything working by installing Debian's AMD/ATI driver packages via apt

sudo apt-get install dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r) fglrx-driver fglrx-control xvba-va-driver

sudo aticonfig --initial

reboot and run

gksudo amdcccle

to configure displays.

HDMI audio works perfect now
Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

I dev VSIDO

sqlpython

@lwfitz
Good one! That is staying on the horse.
Never encountered the same but I made a How To of your solution.
Just in the event.....
Stretch, Siduction-15.1,  Slackware 14.1, LMDE, Calculate 15.7

lwfitz

@ VastOne and sqlpython

Thanks guys. I normally wouldnt install fglrx via apt but since smxi doesnt support instillation while using the 3.9 kernel this was my only way.
I guess compiling the driver would be another option and Im lazy lately so that wasnt gonna happen  ;D
Don't Be A Dick!