<SOLVED> login endless loop --not again!

jefsview

Once again, using Fluxbox.

Long story short: I had to re-install my Fluxbox partition after I decreased my swap partition. I spent most of last night and today tweaking the Fluxbox menu (switching icons to Faenza and adding/deleting entries). I did restart Flux multiple times during this.

Then I played with the tint2 panels, and went with a basic setup. While trying to set up a weather Conky and get it to autostart, I logged out of the session, and when I tried to log back in, it takes me back to lightdm login. I can't get back into Fluxbox.  :o  :'(

I'm writing this from the Openbox session. Set the desktop up like what I had done in Fluxbox, and I can log in and out at will.

So, is this a Fluxbox problem or a lightdm problem? 

Any one know how I can get back into Flux?

VastOne

I have seen this when there is an issue with the FLuxbox menu, it errors out and will not let the login happen

It could also be the startup file that fluxbox uses with an error in it

I would make a backup of what you have now as the menu and startup file, and then copy the original files from /etc/skel/.fluxbox to your ~/.fluxbox directory and see if that allows you to log in to fluxbox

If it does, we know for sure there is an error on one of those files.. I am guessing it is in the menu file

Let me know what happens

Sorry about the issues you are having
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

jefsview

Thanks for the quick reply.

Okay, I'll give that a try. I was looking over everything trying to figure out what went wrong, but even the var/log files weren't helpful.

Well, here goes...

jefsview

Yep, it was a malformed expression in the menu file when I tried to add the weather conky. I forgot to add the ending *)* at the end of the entry.

Fluxbox is touchy:P  :-[

Thanks for the tips, VastOne!