<SOLVED> Hard drive space being filled by xsession error log <SOLVED>

lwfitz

For some reason my .xsession-error file is getting huge and filling up the free space on my /home partition.

The current .xsession-error

Xsession: X session started for luke at Tue Mar 26 03:16:53 PDT 2013
localuser:luke being added to access control list
tint2 : nb monitor 1, nb monitor used 1, nb desktop 1
WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /home/luke/.cache/keyring-7lOKHW/pkcs11: No such file or directory
WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /home/luke/.cache/keyring-7lOKHW/pkcs11: No such file or directory
Conky: can't open '/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/temp1_input': No such file or directory
please check your device or remove this var from Conky
Conky: forked to background, pid is 4313
Add launcher app: /usr/local/bin/.tint2oblaunchers/01-iceweasel.desktop
Add launcher app: /usr/local/bin/.tint2oblaunchers/02-terminal.desktop
Add launcher app: /usr/local/bin/.tint2oblaunchers/03-spacefm.desktop
Add launcher app: /usr/local/bin/.tint2oblaunchers/04-gmusicbrowser.desktop
Add launcher app: /usr/local/bin/.tint2oblaunchers/06-xfce menu.desktop
tint2 : nb monitor 1, nb monitor used 1, nb desktop 1

Conky: desktop window (159) is root window
Conky: window type - normal
Conky: drawing to created window (0x1e00001)
Conky: drawing to double buffer
gathering data with curl
[4323:4359:0326/031658:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(624)] Failed to get name owner. Got org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'org.chromium.Mtpd': no such name
[4323:4359:0326/031658:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(624)] Failed to get name owner. Got org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'org.chromium.Mtpd': no such name
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed

0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0[4323:4323:0326/031659:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(529)] Failed to call method: org.chromium.Mtpd.EnumerateStorages: object_path= /org/chromium/Mtpd: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.chromium.Mtpd was not provided by any .service files

9 71869    9  6757    0     0   4043      0  0:00:17  0:00:01  0:00:16  5392
100 71869  100 71869    0     0  37803      0  0:00:01  0:00:01 --:--:-- 48461
[4323:4362:0326/031701:ERROR:backend_impl.cc(2149)] Invalid cache (current) size
you have no weather alerts
processing complete
/usr/bin/pithos:805: GtkWarning: Ignoring the separator setting
  builder.add_from_file(ui_filename)
ERROR:root:Could not bind media keys
gmrun: no process found
[4323:4323:0326/111952:ERROR:omnibox_view_gtk.cc(431)] Not implemented reached in virtual void OmniboxViewGtk::ApplyCaretVisibility()
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_r600.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_r600.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(exe:4744): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead

(exe:4744): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead
[4323:4323:0326/112029:ERROR:omnibox_view_gtk.cc(431)] Not implemented reached in virtual void OmniboxViewGtk::ApplyCaretVisibility()
[4323:4323:0326/112030:ERROR:omnibox_view_gtk.cc(431)] Not implemented reached in virtual void OmniboxViewGtk::ApplyCaretVisibility()
[4323:4323:0326/112228:ERROR:omnibox_view_gtk.cc(431)] Not implemented reached in virtual void OmniboxViewGtk::ApplyCaretVisibility()
[4323:4323:0326/112612:ERROR:omnibox_view_gtk.cc(431)] Not implemented reached in virtual void OmniboxViewGtk::ApplyCaretVisibility()

Now that log isnt very big and only shows as like 200kb but the .xsession-error.old is 80gb. A couple of the errors I have since fixed (conky related) but since I am unable to open the old 80gb xsession-error file I am not even sure what needs attention. Any idea?
What Ive been doing is manually going in and removing that error file and rebooting which will then ... USUALLY... free that space up.
Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

Check out this thread on Orange

Also a search of .xsession-error showed a massive amount of hits with people with the same issue

Mine is currently sitting at 340k so it does not seem to be a universal issue... I would guess it has something to do with your SSD setup after all that I have just read on the web
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Thanks vastone, I really couldn't find much on Google.
the ssd idea is very possible I think. I'll continue looking  and
Update when I find something.

Edit:

That seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the help!

Solution:

In a terminal run these commands

rm ~/.xsession-errors

sudo touch ~/.xsession-errors

sudo chmod a-w ~/.xsession-errors

Then, for me to free up the space consumed by the error log I had to run

rm ~/.xsession-errors.old

I then rebooted and 3 days later everything is still good.

What this does is deletes the old ~/.xsession-errors file and then creates a new one but doesnt allow it to be modified once its created.
The downside to this is that now I no longer have an xsessions error log I believe. I have since realized that I had this issue on another machine that was running a hybrid drive (ssd and hdd). Odd that is this is ssd related that my other machines wouldnt have the same issue.
Don't Be A Dick!

jedi

I wont dispute the SSD factor as the reason for this, however, with all my messing about with Bumblebee, and the fact I've been running with SSD's for a couple years now I've  never seen this issue.  I've always kept an eye on my .xsession-errors and the .xsession-errors.old file just because of the hybrid-graphics thing and wanting to see what was happening with Bumblebee.
My current .xsession-errors file is 1.1k and the .xsession-errors.old file is 3.2k.  In watching these files over time, I've never seen them grow to more than a mb in size...
Of course after realizing that the above mentioned files didn't necessarily have a lot to do with graphics stuff, I eventually quit paying much attention to them.  This is the first time in quite a while I've checked them for anything.
I do remember having some conky or tint2 issues once that was making the file grow, but not to the extents your talking about here...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

lwfitz

As it turns out the error log filling up has to do with samba. Ive yet to figure out why the log gets so big though.

The workaround that VastOne posted worked perfect
Don't Be A Dick!