Using FLUXBOX as a Window Manager

VastOne

For the time being, I guess until Fluxbox pisses me off...  :o

The Slit thing is cool but all the 'dock' slit apps are Windowmakers dockets and look like something out of the 90's...
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Sector11

If you are talking this WindoMaker I know what you mean.

Opinion Alert: That looks like an MS Windows v1 reject.
Stay Home

Jmagick

Quote from: VastOne on February 27, 2013, 11:45:30 PM
After figuring out the transparency of Fluxbox, I was able to turn off Compton...

Booting now with the Liquorix 3.7.0-9 kernel and Fluxbox, I am down to an eve 100 MiB on boot and now claim Fluxbox as my default WM

Now onto figuring out the Slit mess, if I am reading it correctly it is somewhat akin to Conky

It's a dock. Not sure exactly how it works, but I have always had it center top and out of the way. I thought you was using it already, didn't know it was specific to fluxbox.
Feeling really stupid right know! ??? I've been using fluxbox with Ubuntu for a couple of years. It's small and quick. When I downloaded #!, I tried OB then returned back to FB. Just more familiar with it I guess. With Vsido, I  used XCFE for awhile then switched back to FB. I THOUGHT you were using the slit to anchor Conky to the top! DUH Not in XFCE.

The best way I can describe the slit is that it is a relocatable dock that you can fasten Conky or whatever you want to it. I have Conky and bbrun fastened to it at the moment. I loved your Conky just the way it was but I added the date and time to the end of it. I used the slit to move it back up and center were you had it originally in XFCE.

Hope that helps.
J

VastOne

^ It does help Jmagick!  Thanks, I do appreciate it..

Fluxbox is really growing on me

I dev VSIDO

jefsview

How does one go about updating the menu?

I thought when I used Fluxbox on antiX it had an "update menu" script/link. That was my only time trying out Fluxbox, and I thought it was one of the features, as compared to Openbox's manual menu config.

-- jeff

VastOne

Good question... I Have not installed anything new since using it. I know there are a couple of packages ... I know kendall_tristan created FM3 but it does not handle anything in the exec line except the command.  In VSIDO's menu there is 'launch' as part of the exec line which checks to make sure the app is not open already and does not launch a new instance

I am going to test a few things and will get back to you on what is happening with the menu and auto-updating

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Im about to install the new ISO and play with fluxbox  a bit and if that doesnt work Im just going to install Gnome3 and be done with it  :D
Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

Here is an excellent read... Fluxbox Menu Management

Got to love the ArchWiki

This is a good starting point for a discussion on how VSIDO Fluxbox menus should be done

I will check with AntiX to see if their menu generator is available

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

I was under the impression that fluxbox had an auto updating menu. Is this not correct?

Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

Quote from: lwfitz on March 04, 2013, 12:17:59 AM
Im about to install the new ISO and play with fluxbox  a bit and if that doesnt work Im just going to install Gnome3 and be done with it  :D

Blasphemy ! Do that and Be GONE!!!  ???

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I will let you know in a bit lwfitz... Testing now

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

I have tested several of these auto-update menu programs and I am not happy with any of them.. All of them take your current menu and replace it which is in no way 'updating' per se

Even the AntiX auto generating one does the same thing and removes everything from their default menu and replaces it

Most of us are used to OB and the menu system... I have no issue with Fluxbox and the need to manually update it for now ... I will keep searching

I dev VSIDO

jefsview

a-ha.

Never hurts to ask; I borked a previous VSIDO install before you included Fluxbox by adding it, but something went wrong and everytime I used it, I was thrown back to the login screen. An endless loop.

Sometimes it takes awhile to get to know these WM.

Thanks for looking into it, though.

VastOne

Sure...

I saw that endless loop chain one time too... It was because for some reason the install of Fluxbox did not have the correct rights on the directory and it could not write what was needed

I dev VSIDO