I am bored!

Jmagick

Quote from: VastOne on February 26, 2013, 05:01:04 AM
Thanks for the feedback Jmagick, it is greatly appreciated!  :)

And post anything you want here, I am especially looking forward t what you have to say and your insight.

Just so you know where I come from... I have used Gimp heavily on Ubuntu, had issues, but tolerated it.
I'm using #! on another machine that is identical to the one I've installed Vsido. Awesome distro! I use it for all my music needs.
The programs I use most on Vsido are all graphics based. Gimp, Darktable, and Digikam are my commons.
Whatever you do to improve, tweak,  or whatever, please keep me in mind.
In the near future I'll be building another machine to put Vsido on! ... Suggestions from you or others would be greatly appreciated as to the perfect MB/Processor combo for graphics.
BTW I don't game, so 3D rendering is not a concern.

Is the multimedia forum for discussions about software?
I thought I might post my thoughts on graphics software there.
Thanks,
J

VastOne

Hey Jmagick

Where you said 'Whatever you do to improve, tweak,  or whatever, please keep me in mind.' I am going to reverse that back on you.. Tell me what is needed for what you want to do and I will try to accommodate you. My daughter is a professional photographer and I picked her brain about the apps she uses (Windows world) and we came up with the graphics selection that is installed now.  If there are others that can be used there, let me know

As for music, that is one of my riving passions and I am pretty sure you will find everything you need for any music/multimedia needs.. I did not put pulseaudio on, there was a discussion about it (I lost !)and although I miss some of the tools in pulse, alsa is doing a fine job..

Go ahead and discuss whatever you want over in the multimedia area, if it is deemed to be better suited somewhere else we will move it...

Thanks for the feedback!
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

FluxBox update..  I have finished everything, I had to adjust a couple of scripts and am doing the build again now... Once tested, the ISO upload will begin... about an hour or so and it should be up there for you.

I will update in the News and Announcements forum when it is done
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Jmagick

Quote from: VastOne on February 27, 2013, 02:23:59 AM
Hey Jmagick

Where you said 'Whatever you do to improve, tweak,  or whatever, please keep me in mind.' I am going to reverse that back on you.. Tell me what is needed for what you want to do and I will try to accommodate you. My daughter is a professional photographer and I picked her brain about the apps she uses (Windows world) and we came up with the graphics selection that is installed now.  If there are others that can be used there, let me know

As for music, that is one of my riving passions and I am pretty sure you will find everything you need for any music/multimedia needs.. I did not put pulseaudio on, there was a discussion about it (I lost !)and although I miss some of the tools in pulse, alsa is doing a fine job..

Go ahead and discuss whatever you want over in the multimedia area, if it is deemed to be better suited somewhere else we will move it...

Thanks for the feedback!

I may have asked for more than I can hope for. What I really need to do is "build" a new fast machine.

When using Gimp, I use a couple of plugins that will literally max out the processor. Memory load has been as high as 6Gb. The DDR2 and old dual core processor may not be enough.
What has improved with VSIDO is the lack of crashes. In Ubuntu, 100% processor load was the prelude to a crash.
Debian was the same way. In #! Statler, I'd have to jump through a couple of hoops to have the software I need. Haven't tried his latest yet.
For some reason or another VSIDO is very well behaved and fast. I think what I asked for was better processor management  to do those heavy tasks.
Is this beyond what you can do?

I will be building that new machine soon. Any thoughts on Processor, MB, Video? What kind of machine would you like to see VSIDO on? Anyone who has an opinion of what would work well would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks,
J

jst_joe

Well smxi and Linux in general seem to be more nvidia graphics friendly than AMD but then again I'm running an older HD 4850 card.
I'm interested to learn more about the Gimp plugins you're running, I'm kind of new to Gimp but am growing quite fond of it.  :)
VSIDO
The view's not that bad you just have to punch the knothole out.

Jmagick

Quote from: jst_joe on March 01, 2013, 02:15:35 AM
Well smxi and Linux in general seem to be more nvidia graphics friendly than AMD but then again I'm running an older HD 4850 card.
Really confused... I've been out of the hardware loop for about 6 years. Don't know smxi or how it works. AMD does graphics? I thought they only did processors.

Quote from: jst_joe on March 01, 2013, 02:15:35 AM
I'm interested to learn more about the Gimp plugins you're running, I'm kind of new to Gimp but am growing quite fond of it.  :)
I do a lot pattern removal and repair of old photographs and newspaper clippings. The plugins I use rely on fourier transform (for pattern removal) and frequency separation to remove and/or repair blemished areas on old photos. The G'mic fourier transform is a good one for patterns (moire) and Wavelet Decompose is good for blemishes. There are a lot of tutorials online on how to use Wavelet Decompose to do facial repairs. Scars, pimples, and wrinkles to name a few.

Gimp runs rather well in VSIDO hence my interest in building a VSIDO specific machine.

thanks,
J

jst_joe

VastOne did a great how-to about smxi, it's the best way to do upgrades imho.
AMD produces the Radeon graphics cards and really are quite good (again imho) but support is not quite as good as with the nvidia graphics cards.
I'm sure iwfitz and dizzie can chime in more on that, they've both built some very impressive boxes here recently.
VSIDO
The view's not that bad you just have to punch the knothole out.