Libre Office 4.0

jedi

@merelyjim, I have dl'd and installed via apt-get with no problems.  @VastOne, I did not get any of the unmet dependencies that you did...
It seems to run faster and is (perhaps to some?) prettier?  Other than that it is still the same old Office!  At it's worst it is still better than MS's versions.  Not to mention free!  Like I said, I did the apt-get and it installed fine, and I've been using LibreOffice Writer with no issues/problems at all.

Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

^ Thanks for that jedi.. I was not surprised in hindsight by all the errors on dependencies today.  There was a major update to python and perl today in Sid and all the error messages were python based.  I would not be surprised to see the packages updated in Experimental over the next few days

In all the 10 years I have been using Linux, I have never seen both perl and python updated on the same day... I was a bit nervous but other than Libre not installing, everything is fine

I am going to download Libre and see if I can install it like you did
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

merelyjim

Got it installed and running as well.
I'll see if there aren't some MS Publisher documents at work to test compatibility tonight.
Thanks everybody.

Sector11

I personally do not have a problem with what OS people use.  Be it by choice or necessity.

We even have a user here that uses: FreeBeerSandwiches_andDebian:D

I'm in a position today to make a choice, my computer is for personal use, no dependencies on work or work related stuff.  And when I did use work related programs, they were DOS based.

AutoCAD v9/10 and Wordperfect
- but I'm not old not old not old not old!  ::)
Stay Home

jst_joe

Installed a little while ago, and can open publisher files  :).
They open in draw (will take some reformatting) but at least they open.
VSIDO
The view's not that bad you just have to punch the knothole out.

VastOne

That is great news jst_joe, thanks for keeping us apprised...
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

merelyjim

The Publisher file I tried got pretty jacked-up formatting-wise. Had the same experience using Draw to modify PDF's in the past. Still, it's early days for the beta, and you're still getting a lot more than the gibberish you used to get.  :-\

jst_joe

^ +1
Just being able to open it is a plus.
Formatting is nothing more than a slight learning curve.  :)
VSIDO
The view's not that bad you just have to punch the knothole out.