Install Issue (NVME SSD) **SOLVED**

lwfitz

Edit:
I'm not completely sure why the install worked this time but it did...... Anyway, Im back up and running.

It's been one hell of a year but regardless of my lack of posting I really am still around. Thanks to everyone who for their great info!

I recently built a new machine and am having one hell of a time getting installed on it.  Everything runs fine but no matter what I do the installer crashes.

New config:
Board: ASUS Prime H370M-Plus
CPU: i3-8350K
RAM: 32GB DDR4 (2400Mhz)
Storage: 250GB  XPG Gammix S10 NVME M.2 SSD / 4TB Storage Drive
Graphics: nVidia GTX 660 (getting replaced with a GTX 1070 when it arrives)
Power: 500 Watt Corsair

I've tried downloading multiple times and created my install usb using DD, Rufus (winblows) and Mac disc utility.
The usb boots up with no issues, recognizes the drive and starts to install but then once the files start copying it crashes.
I have used the usb to install to other drives and used the same usb to  run a net install of Debian testing (then upgraded to SID) on the drive I wanted with no issues at all (both MBR and EFI).
When I tried to check the install log for errors the log doesn't seem to actually exist.

My belief is that it has to do with the NVME drive ad it installs fine to a standard drive (both mechanical and ssd).

Any idea's?
Don't Be A Dick!

PackRat

Weren't you and jedi having some issues installing to NVME SSD drives a while back? Kind of touchy aren't they.

I've read some other posts about installation issues with them; not a distro specific issue.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

lwfitz

I know Jedi did but for the life of me I couldn't find any posts regarding it.

The installer had problems formatting and partitioning the NVME drive. I had to do it in gparted then come back to the installer. After I got installed I still couldn't boot and had to go back in and fix grub.

Don't Be A Dick!