10 gig log files

VastOne

My syslog and daemon.log both grew to 10 gig a piece and basically froze me out of a log in due to the file system running out of space.. after I cleared the logs I could get back in.. Both were too big to open with any editor (TWSS) so I have no idea what caused it.. This is a new install (reinstall) of the build system that had only been up for a day.. I am going to log back in and see if they begin to grow again, but so far they have not and I am at a loss.. never have I seen anything remotely close to this one.. On searches for solutions on google, there have been many instances of the syslog and kernel.log growing and on most there seemed to be an SSD involved which is what I am installed on

Any ideas?
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Aren't there some posts on this forum about a similar issue with the .xsession-errors file growing so large it uses all the disk space and a user can't log in.

I think the solution to that was a simple script to limit it's size. Maybe adapt that and keep those files from getting too large.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

Seems to have been a one off.. I cannot reproduce this again... very strange, but that's the life of SID
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

DeepDayze

Quote from: PackRat on April 19, 2018, 02:21:49 AM
Aren't there some posts on this forum about a similar issue with the .xsession-errors file growing so large it uses all the disk space and a user can't log in.

I think the solution to that was a simple script to limit it's size. Maybe adapt that and keep those files from getting too large.

I think any problem with .xsession-errors filling up like that would be due to some problem with the session that keeps spamming the log for example.