Debian Bullshit

VastOne

So I filed this bug report today

Straight forward, an update killed the ability to run any kind of apt-get update, dist-upgrade or install of any kind.. apt was broken

The response and closing of the bug makes it pretty clear where Debian is still stuck up their own asses

QuoteThat's because you use packages from Debian Multimedia (dmo), which
breaks the dependency/file replacement resolution process of apt by
unnecessarily increasing the version number (1:1.12 > 1.14).

I resolved it by pretty much eliminating the multimedia repos and reinstalled the gstreamer stuff from SID

It did not sit well with me today... I never have understood the need to place blame on the end user when reporting an obvious bug
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

DeepDayze

I never had an issue with DMO, unless something got wacked out on DMO's side that could have triggered that bug in apt.

I can see there is a write conflict as both the DMO and the regular Debian gstreamer package share the same files. Surprised it didn't "upgrade" the package like it should.

VastOne

Thanks DeepDayze.. it turned out to be a patience issue on my part.. If I had waited one day the DMO side would have caught up to the Debian Sid repos and all would have been fine.. I know these things happen time to time as we live on the edge and I completely understand it

It is fixed and the DMO repos are now back in the builds

What pissed me off was as the end user being told I was basically an idiot for using anything other than PURE DEBIAN

Just old bullshit.. tiresome and unnecessary.. It could easily be the way the developer communicates..

I dev VSIDO

DeepDayze

Quote from: VastOne on March 25, 2018, 04:23:35 AM
Thanks DeepDayze.. it turned out to be a patience issue on my part.. If I had waited one day the DMO side would have caught up to the Debian Sid repos and all would have been fine.. I know these things happen time to time as we live on the edge and I completely understand it

It is fixed and the DMO repos are now back in the builds

What pissed me off was as the end user being told I was basically an idiot for using anything other than PURE DEBIAN

Just old bullshit.. tiresome and unnecessary.. It could easily be the way the developer communicates..

I hear you...the most polite way would been to say wait tlll DMO is fully in sync then try the update again...apparently DMO and debian was not quite in sync. If I run into that issue it can be a mess to clean up though, as when you (temporarily) remove a problem package so that the update can go through it will remove anything dependent on it and that can be a mess.

VastOne

It was a mess.. it took several removals and the right sequence to first uninstall and then reinstall them in a specific order..

Here is what is interesting... When I put the dmo repo back, the 3 files that were the issue were updated from that dmo repo.. and in the process 15MiB of data was freed.. I can live with a repo that provides the same (and most time better files) AND cuts the debian cruft out .. I like that a lot

In the end, VSIDO and people who use the dmo wins

I dev VSIDO