apt-get destruction

PackRat

The 64-bit UEFI iso boots on UEFI and BIOS laptops; ceni connects just fine as usual.

This build should install on either a UEFI or BIOS computer, correct? If so, I don't see a reason for the non-UEFI iso, just do one build of a uefi capable iso and call it good. The only reason to have a non-uefi build would be for 32-bit if you decide to keep supporting that.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

I have not been able to get the uEFI version to install to a non uEFI machine.. you would think it would but it doesn't or I am not smart enough to figure it out
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Answers that question then; could have sworn I installed it on a BIOS system.

acpi and auto-mounting are working out of the box, but the wallpaper doesn't show up.

Logging out does not bring up the lxdm screen; just goes black and hangs there. Dropping out to tty1 and using:

systemctl restart lxdm

just hangs too; so I didn't get to see/test the new login screen.

scrot of the live session -

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Interesting.. I'll have to test that to figure it out

Thanks for the info and testing RatMan

I'm going to go through the differential today to see what else needs to be added.. I have updated that file and info on this differential thread

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on January 29, 2018, 04:14:24 PM
I have not been able to get the uEFI version to install to a non uEFI machine.. you would think it would but it doesn't or I am not smart enough to figure it out

How far did you get?

I installed to completion, then had to boot the live usb again to chroot and install grub (the installer does not like my multi-harddrive desktop). Only grub for uEFI available.

Had to install grub for BIOS - which is what I had to do last time; those memories came flooding back.

All is good now, boots to the new login screen and all that.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

I got as far as the install completing and grub not installing so no boot.. tis why there has always been separate ISO's ... I would like a fix but am not disappointed if it doesn't

It's the x32 that I want gone.. someone needs to tell me why it is needed or I end it

Thanks RatMan

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

I don't see a reason for 32-bit; when is the last time someone specifically asked for it?

Do you or jed monitor the downloads; how many times has the 32-bit been downloaded?
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

PackRat

QuoteI would like a fix but am not disappointed if it doesn't

I suspect that would require an overhaul of the installer; so separate iso's it is  ;D
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Quote from: PackRat on January 29, 2018, 09:01:17 PM
I don't see a reason for 32-bit; when is the last time someone specifically asked for it?

Do you or jed monitor the downloads; how many times has the 32-bit been downloaded?

I cannot recall the last time someone asked.. I think I will just leave the last one there and build no more unless someone does ask

Regarding any how many downloaded list, I have no idea

Quote from: PackRat on January 29, 2018, 09:03:04 PM
QuoteI would like a fix but am not disappointed if it doesn't

I suspect that would require an overhaul of the installer; so separate iso's it is  ;D

I think I might be able to run an after install script that could identify whether or not grub2 is needed and then do an install of it ..lots of dependency issues with that including that one must me connected to the internet to install.. That seems small but it is not always there..

For me personally it is just easier to have two separate ISO's

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Quote from: PackRat on January 29, 2018, 04:24:10 PM

Logging out does not bring up the lxdm screen; just goes black and hangs there. Dropping out to tty1 and using:

systemctl restart lxdm

just hangs too; so I didn't get to see/test the new login screen.

Lots of confusion here and I think there may be an answer..  I believe the correct way to start it is startlxde...Found that info here which also refers to using the ~/.xinitrc file

This site says the same thing...

EDIT - I was even confused on what I was trying to use lxdm vs lxde...

This info talks about how to setup either .profile or still use the ~/.xinitrc ..

After a user logs on, LXDM sources all of the following files, in order:

/etc/profile
~/.profile
/etc/xprofile
~/.xprofile
These files can be used to set session environment variables and to start services which must set certain environment variables in order for clients in the session to be able to use the service, like ssh-agent. See Xprofile for details.

Note that LXDM does not source ~/.xinitrc, so those migrating from a DM that does use this file, like SLiM, will have to move their settings elsewhere — probably ~/.xprofile. Also note LXDM does not source ~/.bash_profile.

If you still want to use your ~/.xinitrc file, you can add a line to the /etc/lxdm/PostLogin event file:

source ~/.xinitrc

I have built an ISO to test these all out... have you ever used ~/.profile for anything?

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Lot of good reading here about a similar reason to use .profile and lxdm. I think we can glean what may be needed from it

Also good discussions on this thread about it

Also this might work

PostLogout a shell script, which are run when certain events happen in LXDM in this case it is run as the logged-in user right after he has logged out.

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Quote. ...have you ever used ~/.profile for anything?

Yes, it's the default for Void linux, but it is set up to source the $HOME/.bash_profile

Void wiki environment variables

My current $HOME/.profile:

# Begin ~/.profile
#
if [ -n "$BASH_VERSION" ] ; then
if [ -f $HOME/.bash_profile ] ; then
. $HOME/.bash_profile
fi
fi
#
# End ~/.profile

.bash_profile

# Begin ~/.bash_profile
#

XDG_CONFIG_HOME="$HOME/.config"
export XDG_CONFIG_HOME

export PATH="${PATH}:$HOME/bin:$HOME/conky:./"

export EDITOR="$(if [[ -n $DISPLAY ]]; then echo 'subl3'; else echo 'nano'; fi)"

if [ -n "$DISPLAY" ]; then
    export BROWSER=firefox
else
    export BROWSER=w3m
fi

export PS1='\[\033[0;36m\] ┌ ─ [\l] ─ \[\033[1;34m\][\w]\n \[\033[0;36m\]└ ─ > \[\033[0;37m\]$ \[\033[0;37m\]'

I also have a .xinitrc if I want to startx from a console - I usually only do that when I log in as root; kill the lxdm service, then log in.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

PackRat

nfs is working on the new build; using rsync to back up data onto vsido nfs share -

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

I've been working on the logout failure from the live session all morning and have found clues as to what may explain what is causing it..

The clues I have are:

There is a failure when shutdown or reboot from live of

A stop job is running for LXDE Display Manager for 90 seconds

Which I have now shortened to 10 seconds

A lxdm.log is generated during the live-boot ... once you logout it is is regenerated.. and the original is lxdm.log.old and there is this:

In the newly generated lxdm.log there is this

xsetroot: unable to open display ':0'

Which seems to be the root of the problem bit I am having trouble locating a solution

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Did a quick search and any solution revolves around fixing the hostname because the hostname is getting unset -

Like this.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo