Xorg update in the works?

PackRat

There a big update to Xorg in the works? I'm getting the un-install all things X with the dist upgrade:

Guess I'll wait a couple days - let Irma go through as well, I suppose. Should make for a massive upgrade middle of next week.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

This is an interesting one because Debian announced that Wayland will replace Xorg x11 in Debian 10 that is due in 2019

Is it possible Sid could have that replacement this early?  I think it could be but we should wait and see what is happening as RatMan suggested
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Found this; couldn't find an actual Debian announcement - just the link to the change log in the article.

Xorg will still be available, which is good for those that don't want to use Gnome, KDE, Enlightenment, or sway.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

I follow the Debian Twitter account and got the announcement there.. Will try to relocate it and find its link

So much continues to change with Debian... Makes me wonder how much longer VSIDO will be Sid or even around

I dev VSIDO

ozitraveller

Thanks for the heads-up guys!

I think my debian sid from #! days, has just passed it's use-by-date! ")

"the sky is falling in!"

ozi

Snap

I guess it's the mesa transition still going on. It seems it has problems with Nividia. As PackRat pointed out it can make the whole Xsrever go away.

I also read somewhere early this summer that a big Xorg upgrade was coming. No idea if this is part of it or just the beginning. Haven't found any further reference yet. At least python has settle down.

QuoteThis is an interesting one because Debian announced that Wayland will replace Xorg x11 in Debian 10 that is due in 2019

Is it possible Sid could have that replacement this early?

QuoteSo much continues to change with Debian... Makes me wonder how much longer VSIDO will be Sid or even around

That's really sad. I wouldn't like to see Vsido vanishing.

I'm not happy with the Wayland switch either, that means that daily drivers in my workflow like fluxbox, urxvt, dmenu, rofi, xcalc and all the Xresources, xdotool, xbindkeys, xset, etc... tweaks and tricks will render useless. I'm not against evolution and changes, but the alternatives I'm seeing are not appealing at all at least for now. Also I'm pretty sure that the transition wayland+X support won't be short or smooth.

ozitraveller

I've been planning to re-build my main pc for some time now, this just adds some urgency to move further away from debian and not be dependent on it.

PackRat

Problem seems to be nearly/completely resolved. Should be able to dist-upgrade after Irma blows through (but before Jose gets here!).
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Interesting that I never had this issue on none of my machines... Might it be a nVidia only issue? Or possibly something y'all have installed that I do not?

Glad it is coming to an end

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

nvidia would by mu first guess. You have the nvidia-dkms installed or go with nouveau?

I've had xorg issues before; maybe related to development files or something. I tend to get the dev files so I can compile something not in the debian repos. I think polybar is installed on the VSIDO box, that required a lot of X related files.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

I run pure nouveau and also have most of the dev tools loaded as well

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Nvidia is probably a safe guess then - based on what snap pointed out about mess. There were several packages for X and kernel that came in with that.

Installing Nvidia propietary driver used to be so easy. Now it's a royal pain in the ass.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

Hmmm, been watching my dist-ups lately and have not seen this one at all...  I too run the proprietary Nvidia drivers.  I'm running vsido, but I also have a different Kernel compiled.
@PackRat, isn't there a 'dkms' module or something for the Nvidia driver installs so you don't have to reinstall it every time a new Kernel comes through?  I have an Arch partition that never gets booted other than to do a 'pacman -Syu' and it has the proprietary Nvidia driver, however it updates itself whenever there is a Kernel change.  I installed it a long time ago, (the arch) and don't recall exactly what I did.  My garage is legal now so recall is limited!  ???
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

Yes, I'm running the dkms module for Nvidia.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

DeepDayze

Quote from: VastOne on September 11, 2017, 12:56:57 AM
I run pure nouveau and also have most of the dev tools loaded as well

I have a GeForce GT730 and been running nouveau with no issues or nasty glitching. As nouveau is getting better and better I just might not even need the binary nvidia driver at all.