Xorg update in the works?

jedi

Quote from: DeepDayze on September 12, 2017, 02:17:25 AM
I have a GeForce GT730 and been running nouveau with no issues or nasty glitching. As nouveau is getting better and better I just might not even need the binary nvidia driver at all.
My card is at least a year old, yet not supported at all with nouveau.  It is a GTX 980M with 8Gb's of like ? GDDR5 or something ridiculous.  I've never gotten nouveau to work.  On this card I'm saying.  I wonder if the newer 1080i cards work on nouveau?

EDIT: disclaimer, I'm on vsido now, but this has been true with this card on any distro i've tried, it is nothing to do with vsido...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

Snap

^ GTX960 here. More or less the same situation. It was unsupported and worked funny with nouveau, but the Nvidia drivers were not available when I got it. Had to wait for months to be able grab drivers from experimental... and crossing fingers. It worked fine in the end. I've got the drivers from Sid now and I have no performance complaints at all. Anyway, I'd like to bounce back to nouveau if possible. I should check if this card is finally fully suported to test it and check if vdpau works as good as with proprietary with mpv.

PackRat

moment of truth -

Edit - success  8)
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo