SpaceFM freezes

Snap

Anyone else having issues with SpaceFM? It's not something happening every day but it happens quite often. I don't know if it's a memory leak, a segfault, or whatever, but once SpaceFM freezes when opening htop to kill it I can see at least two CPU cores maxed out.  I suspect it's some conflict with dbus, but it's just a wild guess. I would like to know if it's only here or someone else is having this issue.

The installed version is 1.0.5 (GTK2). Which is the last one. But.... it's two years and a half old!

Is SpaceFM abandonware by now? It will be so sad seeing my favorite file manager ever going down and having to switch to anything else. The Ignoranrguru's blog is also silent since a long time ago. This doesn't smell so good either.

Edit: It's one year and a half old. My bad.

hakerdefo

Guru has gone on indefinite meditation since the day the Debian decided to use systemd as the default init  ;D
Go for PCManFM, You can't go wrong with it  8)
VastOne will have to, sooner or later, retire SpaceFM and go with the PCManFM. Only a matter of time IMO  ;)

Or of you are in the mood to experiment,

sudo apt-get install 4pane

It is a grossly overlooked file-manager. Has all the features and some more  8)

Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

Snap

Thanks, hackerdefo. Yeah, that's what I was expecting.

Never heard of 4pane. It looks interesting and dependencies are only a bit bigger. It seems to deserve a try.

PCmanFM is not an option for me. I've tried it many times and feels like a huge step back. Ranger has been my main alternative for a good while. The main reason to keep going with SpaceFM (GUI instead of CLI) is that this great FM makes my workflow a bit faster and easier. Let's see...

PackRat

I haven't seen any freezing issues with SpaceFM. As far as replacements go, it was discussed the last time SpaceFM stopped development:

Long Live SpaceFM thread

Some comparisons of the other file managers in the repos.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

Snap

QuoteI haven't seen any freezing issues with SpaceFM

Me neither. That's why I'm asking. It's seems it's on my side. but I cannot figure out the issue.

VastOne

@Snap

Terminal showing anything whilst this is happening?
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

filip

There's a fork (SpaceFM-NG), and a new bugfix 1.0.6 release from ~March, though it hasn't been touched since ( let's hope the guy picks it up eventualy ). 8)

https://github.com/Teklad/spacefm-ng
https://github.com/Teklad/spacefm-ng/releases/tag/1.0.6

Status update from IG: https://github.com/IgnorantGuru/spacefm/issues/687

If anybody tries to build a .deb package from NG repo, keep in mind that changelog is still at v1.0.5, so you should apply some "dch -i" magic on it to avoid apt "downgrading" it. ;)

I've been running GTK2 build since it was released without any issues ( on Stretch though ). :)

VastOne

Thanks filip for that info.. have you tried SpaceFM-NG?

IgnorantGuru is one of the best individuals I have had the pleasure knowing in this small FOSS community we all share

I dev VSIDO

filip

Quote from: VastOne on July 21, 2017, 11:31:01 PM
Thanks filip for that info.. have you tried SpaceFM-NG?
Yep, like I've said above, been running GTK2 build without any issues.  :)
[filip@stretch-K10][~]$ apt-cache policy spacefm && echo "" && ls -lh /var/lib/dpkg/info/spacefm.list
spacefm:
  Installed: 1.0.6
  Candidate: 1.0.6
  Version table:
*** 1.0.6 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1.0.5-2 500
        500 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4,7K Feb 16 16:09 /var/lib/dpkg/info/spacefm.list
                            ^^^^^^

IgnorantGuru is one of the best individuals I have had the pleasure knowing in this small FOSS community we all share

I couldn't agree more!
Too bad he stopped working on SpaceFM, though he's been on hiatus before ( keep the hope alive, eh ), and ofc there's the fork now... :)  :D

Snap

Quote from: VastOne on July 21, 2017, 10:19:16 PM
@Snap

Terminal showing anything whilst this is happening?

Don't know yet. I started launching spacefm from a terminal since I posted the OT, but it haven't frozen. I'll report when it happens.

So it's confirmed that IgnorantGuru gave up. Too bad news. Thankfully someone picked the torch. Thanks for reporting, filip.

Snap

It finally happened but I found nothing significant in the terminal messages. It just freezes with no error feedback and putting some cpu cores at full blast. I really have no clue about what to check.  ::)  What I found is that at least "ctrl  + c" terminates it. No real need to kill a stubborn process via htop. No idea if this is relevant.

PackRat

Did you notice if it freezes trying to access the same folder/partition - like a network share or something like that?
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Snap

Not really. When it happens I'm doing something else, then when jumping back to SpaceFm it's stuck and sometimes shows only the menubar. The rest of the window is totally plain; No tabs, no panes, nothing else. Might be something related with GTK2, or something else borking it in some way. I'll keep checking.  The annoying thing is that it only happens once to twice per week. Hard to track.

I always run spacefm in a tabbed group in fluxbox. The group is like this:

[group]  (workspace=[0])
[app] (name=urxvt)
[app] (name=geany)
[app] (name=spacefm)
[app] (name=Navigator)
[app] (name=Places) (class=Pale moon) (role=Organizer)
[app] (name=qutebrowser)
[app] (name=x-www-browser)
[app] (name=Mail) (class=Fossamail)
[app] (name=nomacs)
  [Workspace] {0}
  [Dimensions] {96% 96%}
  [Position] (UPPERLEFT) {2% 2%}
  [Jump] {yes}
  [Layer] {8}
  [Close] {yes}
[end]

Just in case this is related to fluxbox. It always happens when switching back to the SpaceFM tab from some other program

PackRat

I'm thinking it's GTK related.

Un-group it and see if you re-create the issue if that doesn't mess up your work flow too much.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

It is definitely unique whatever you have snap.. I have SpaceFM open nearly all day long and cannot get it to crash

What version of debian/VSIDO/Whatever are you using?  I am curious if you can replicate this on a live boot of either VSIDO or Lite-VSIDO

I dev VSIDO