July 2017 Screenshot Thread

riV

hello PackRat 
my confession: the last time you put up that big-cat desktop ... when I saw the thumbnail I thought "That is cool. PackRat has done it again. What is that combination?"  I needn't tell you that it hit me with windows when i clicked the thumbnail. guilt?  tail between the legs I should have punished myself somehow.  To be honest, I got a "big-cat" one too.  Humorous when most of the similar posts that if mention microsoft include almost an automatic indicate my wife's machine. real or not.  I was more armed to recognize it this time. Ten hours was going through all the settings again? or churning a upgrade? did it to me twice last week.   nevermind the answer. 

PackRat

@vastone - That was the first thing I thought. I can (have) let Debian Testing and Sid sit for a month without doing an upgrade then essentially upgrade the entire system in about 15-20 min without much issue. Sid may break now and again, but 3-4 days later the fix comes through; and if it does totally bork, I can reinstall the entire system and back-up files in less time it took me to do the Windows 10 updates.

I had to spend about 90-min looking for, and applying the fix to un-freeze Windows Update. Then go through the: Searching for, Downloading, Preparing to, and Applying upgrades routines for Windows three times.

@riV - the Windows 10 laptop is mainly for my oldest to do her school work - although she prefers to work on the older Windows 7/VSIDO dual boot desktop. I'll have to get her to use VSIDO for her youtube viewing. If only I could log onto the school network with Linux  :'(

The wife needs Windows for work because of QA/QC contractual requirements. I was hoping that when NASA moved to Debian Stable, the rest of the US government would follow to cut their costs of deployment. The Debian QA/QC of moving from Sid -> Testing -> Stable matches up well with most Govt. and private sector QA/QC. Unfortunately USA is wedded to MS and Apple so there hasn't been a big shift to open source solutions like we see elsewhere.

Back on topic -

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

PackRat

VSIDO (host WILLOW-01) set up as nfs server. Using it to store backups of my Void linux systems:

trying to improve my rsync skills.

xmonad + polybar + vsido:

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

Trying the new Kernel, seems to run pretty hot...

course I'm still in the blue place...

Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

^ Very nice.. How is nVidia holding up on the new kernel?
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

nVidia is holding up well on my system; older card but not quite legacy.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

Quote from: PackRat on July 24, 2017, 01:48:03 AM

Same here.  Except for the card, GTX980M w/8 Gbs gddr4 RAM running the 384.47 nvidia driver. (beta)
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

I'm addicted to window managers -  :'(

Xmonad using the Xmonad.Hooks.EwmhDesktops, Xmonad.Hooks.Minimize, Xmonad.Layouts.Minimize so that the window manager is ewmh compliant and works similar to stacking window managers like fluxbox. Panels with taskbars like tint2 (in the screenshot) and xfce4-panel appear to be fully functional; conkyrc setup as own_window no/false.

If only xmonad wasn't written in haskel - brings in about 1.5 gigs of ghc and not the easiest syntax to deal with when configuring.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Quote from: PackRat on July 24, 2017, 01:48:03 AM

How long have you been using 4.12 and have you heard anything about release to SID date? It has been 22 days since it was deemed stable by Linus and the gang

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

The 4.12 kernel came through on Void around July 12.

My VSIDO setup is still using 4.11.0-1-amd64.

I haven't read anything about Debian Sid moving to 4.12. Although the 4.12-trunk is in experimental now -

along with a 4.11 upgrade - time to dist-upgrade  ;D

Any idea what the lag time between experimental and sid repos is?

spam the forum some more while I'm here -

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

lwfitz

Quote from: PackRat on July 18, 2017, 02:01:29 AM
Between doing the usual Monday routine, it took me about 10 hours total to fix and upgrade Windows 10 today (there's a certain irony to that). So I took a screenshot to honor the event:

Welcome to my life.......... I feel for you buddy!

Been a while!

Don't Be A Dick!

PackRat

^ Nice to see you're still alive and kicking.

Sweet looking setup there.

QuoteWelcome to my life.......... I feel for you buddy!

Just cut a deal with my oldest; be trading laptops with her. Put Windows 7 (I actually like 7) back on the HP (came with it) and then blow away Windows 10 with a clean uEFI Linux install  ;D

Edit - the process begins

Windows 10 free by the time school starts mid-August  8)
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

PackRat

Last one for July -

New build of fluxbox-void iso -

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Simple pleasures

VSIDO - FluxBox - GMB - David Gilmour - Wish You Were Here (Live @ Gdansk)

I dev VSIDO

jedi

yup, 4.12 'not good' imo, runs hot and considerably more cpu use.  My second go round with a freshly compiled 4.12 Kernel image.  :(
going to take a look at 4.13-rc2.  That is what is brutally beating my laptop as you can see below...

htop: (while the Kernel is compiling)

I didn't check the compile time after, but it was less than 30 minutes...
Forum Netiquette