A rock music question to my American friends

hakerdefo

@PackRat I've always liked Tom Petty & the Heart breaker's music. Mike Cambell is an under-rated guitarist IMO.
Traveling Wilburys Vol.1 is one of my all-time favorite!
Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

riV

hello hakerdefo and everyone 
glad You liked the Roy Orbison mention.  can you appreciate Chet Atkins. 
Candlebox one of the last great rock sounds. American country music genre has more rock now than other genres.  Does St.Vincent count? Thoughts of rock bands date back over fifty years. David Byrne and Fred Schneider and Dan Hicks and Ella Fitzgerald carried-on as we shared listening with Gershwin and Piazzolla while Rush, Focus, Markusfeld, PFM Cook, Kraftwerk straddle the argument.  How far back are we to go? to the Doobie Bros. or Johnny Winter and Edgar Winter or the Allman Bros. or the Mills Bros.?  The Marx Bros. each played an instrument.  Remember that  The blues had a baby and they called it rock and roll; that takes us way back to where some listeners got lost on staying with the blues when rock forked.  We who like it all still lump the funk together without sorting out the rock [or its country of origin. RoyOrbison did a British-American collaboration without bias.]  Maybe i was paying to see SonnyTerry and BrownieMcGhee or Basia when i could have been growing the economics of American rock bands. Regionalizing sound for popularity must have worked to fracture the market in America where each city, each hotel, dining hall, and stage competed for a different sound; not the same sound. America had more television variety than Britain?  Hollywood was the target though they learned to do it themselves.  Hollywood was more diversity and spreading-out thinly.  We despaired for more rock in the seventies/ eighties and turned to "import" albums in the record bins or local musicians like Carlos Santana and Les Dudek and Pantera.  How many musicians in Brand X were American?  Jazz musicians flowing into NewYork were more interesting than much of the rock music.   America had Boston and Kansas while AlanParsons Project, Supertramp flooded the charts. Jon Anderson is a favorite. Maybe it is because the British stuff is just really good.  LoneStar was better than LedZeppelin, but you didn't hear about LoneStar. The shocking thing is to look up a old name like 10,00 maniacs, MoseAllison, steelyDan , Jose Feliciano, etc. and find they are still in music.  Local music is where to find rock now. After a life of performing rock drums or harmonica there are links online to older accomplished and decorated musicians still performing.  Fresh Rock is not a part of this new century. The Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival is where to hear some rock.  Got some rock posters for you. www.steelydan.com/

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmSPCOby-1A
"Little Martha" Duane Allman

In the past century I was allowed access to all of the recordings from around the world that poured into a independent rock radio station. It was a lot of records you never heard. More than Twenty  years of pre-1990 rock that most were never played on the radio.  I listened to all.  The owner let me keep any I wished to have. There was one dj that kept two of each.  That is too many records when it is time to move. 

hakerdefo

Hi there riV,
Do you still have those records?

Cheers!!!

riV

hakerdefo asks riV, "Do you still have those records?"
hello hakerdefo 
all but one out for lend that was not returned.   frown.   
Considered a rare opportunity and a grand challenge It took years to get the needle down onto all those unknown recordings.  I took possession of just a handful.  Listening to all that did make me wiser regarding the proliferative promotional recordings.  It meant there was another person like myself every three-hundred miles around the globe at another radio station, record store, or library.  The large base of samples did not aid to explain popularity; then or now.  You got me,,, i cannot say why. How [were] are the recordings organized at your local store?  What does RollingStone, billboard, and mTv have to say about your countries in competition for rock question?  what is Your answer, hakerdefo? 

hakerdefo

Hi there riV,
I can understand that maintaining old records is not an easy task. I asked because I wanted to suggest you to upload those records to some cloud storage service (Mega for example), so that others can enjoy them too. But since you no longer have those records  :(
Local music stores in India have become endangered species since the advent of MP3 and on-line piracy  :(
My town used to have 5-6 music stores a few years back, now there is not a single one left  :(
Music scene in India is dominated by music from the movies. Almost every movie made in India is a musical  :o
Every other music including Rock music remains niche  :(
Interestingly the music from the movies include every possible genre of music from around the world  ???

Here is a rock-n-roll song from an old movie,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKU4q0JELTQ

Cheers!!!

riV

hello hakerdefo and hello everyone
RockyHorrorPictureShow is a rock musical. right?
while here we listened to Ravi Shankar, John McLaughlin, and Carlos Santana' Caravanserai.
youtube.com/watch?v=zVqvd6mhat8
Ravi Shankar. 
American cartoons had wonderful music. 

riV

hello hakerdefo and everyone
Ear to the music and Eye on the country thanks to you.
Paul McCartney tells a story that his first gig was an american song:
youtube.com/watch?v=kQC8r1QA2hk
Steve Howe & Alvin Lee play american:
youtube.com/watch?v=Zryu954mzRY

riV

hello hakerdefo

It is a misnomer to dub computer hardware "Memory", because a designer can explain or interpret how it functions.  Human memory cannot be explained.  I do appreciate the addition of "random access."
Experienced a random access today:
The absence of the LPs had me searching for a band name i did not find.  I had remembered Kilimanjaro. for years. until today.  The word kittyhawk came to mind. Oh. asked myself to what is that word connected. Why did I just mentally see that word.?  funny how the mind works.  Kittyhawk. That Band!   Where did that come from? 
Researching gave result kittyhawkgroup d o t c o m. 
I was introduced to the band a night Kittyhawk was the opener for The Dixie Dregs.[later, The Dregs.]  Was my first knowledge of the Chapman Stick.  As many as three participants in Kittyhawk play the stick and add guitar, drums, lyricon, saxophone, cello.  Kilimanjaro is a song title. 
KingCrimson includes the Stick. 

Also found a cd of a disconnected favorite LP.  rerelease of two albums by Lone Star.  cd BGO Records number BGOCD618. The band came out of Wales in May 1975.  That is one more for the british side, because it is my favorite music.  The cd has a great booklet of history, lyrics, two albums "Lone Star" and "Firing On All Six" , jacket does not have the original album numbers.  More on this a different day. 

The unseen LPs are on the move this week to a different storage location.  and today "Just listened to..." Kittyhawk.