VSIDO Build 2017

PackRat

The service should start when you reboot, then you can create the lvm drives.

You should be able to do a systemd start <service> to get it going.

I just installed lvm2 on a clean install of VSIDO test iso, didn't get that message.

Having issue with the locale though, and getting that 1 min 30 sec wait issue becuase of separate /home and or swap file. Sorting that out at the moment.

htop wasn't in the default install - didn't it use to be?
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

Yes... and I just added htop back

I gut locale in the install process.. may need to just reinstall it and leave it be

I will also look at the script and add the correct systemd fstab parameters to stop that 90 second bullshit
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

I used hackerdefo's fix from that thread a while back.

It boots and everything is mounted.

dpkg-reconfigure locale

worked.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

@PackRat what were the issues with locale?

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

aot-get install and dist-upgrade were sending an error that the locale (LOCALE) couldn't be determined and to make sure LC= was set.

I did the recommended "dpkg-reconfigure locale" from the Debian wiki, fixed the issue.

en_us_UTF8 was the only locale selected (which is correct) but at the end, I had to select it as the default - there were a couple other locales I could have selected. I'll try and get back to that computer later and see if the list is still there.

apt works fine now.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

hakerdefo

We need NetworkManager in VSIDO-LITE but not the "network-manager-gnome" package. That is a super-bloat! I would suggest you to drop it. IMO All we need is the following items,

network-manager modemmanager ppp usb-modeswitch usb-modeswitch-data mobile-broadband-provider-info

Create "Network-Manager.desktop" file under "/usr/share/applications" with the following content,

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Network-Manager
Comment=Manage Network Connections
Exec=xfce4-terminal -e nmtui
Icon=

In the above file only thing you'll have to do is add path to "Icon=".
Next just add the entry for this in Fluxbox Menu.
Who needs "nm-applet" and the bloat of  "network-manager-gnome" when "nmtui" is there.
Seriously remove "network-manager-gnome" package and add the packages I mentioned early in the post if they are not there.
Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

hakerdefo

Okay a task for Vastone if he doesn't mind :)
Create three test builds. First with "wicd"
Second with "network-manager"
Third with "network-manager-gnome"
And on the both second and third builds make sure following packages are also installed,
"modemmanager" "ppp" "usb-modeswitch" "usb-modeswitch-data" "mobile-broadband-provider-info"
And give us the size of three builds and resource usages of three builds via htop (cpu and ram) when connected to a wifi router without any extra running app.
Please Vasty do this ;)
Cheers!!!

VastOne

I will do this but why is wicd even in the equation?

As far as I am concerned ceni is the standard and NM going forward

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Quote from: hakerdefo on January 23, 2017, 07:24:39 PM
Okay a task for Vastone if he doesn't mind :)
Create three test builds. First with "wicd"
Second with "network-manager"
Third with "network-manager-gnome"
And on the both second and third builds make sure following packages are also installed,
"modemmanager" "ppp" "usb-modeswitch" "usb-modeswitch-data" "mobile-broadband-provider-info"
And give us the size of three builds and resource usages of three builds via htop (cpu and ram) when connected to a wifi router without any extra running app.
Please Vasty do this ;)
Cheers!!!

I added both gnome settings (incredibly small) and modemmanager ppp usb-modeswitch usb-modeswitch-data  mobile-broadband-provider-info and the ISO increased by 5 MiB which is very small

I also fixed the locale issue (thanks Rat-Man) and have them built and tested.. will upload a bit later

ISO size now is 377 x64 and the x32 is 382

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

I'm interested in ram-cpu usage when connected to wireless via nm-applet, nmtui and wicd. If you don't want to build you can test the wicd resource usage via the regular build of VSIDO. Next remove nm-applet from the autostart in the test-build install and connect to wifi using nmtui and check the cpu-ram usage and finally re-add the nm-applet to autostart, connect to wifi using the applet and check the cpu-ram usage.
I'm interested in these numbers ;)
Cheers!!!

hakerdefo

p.s. nm-applet is infamous for consuming resources. It can guzzle RAM in amount of 75-200 MB. Even Debian WIKI on ARM build suggests removing the applet for this reason. This is why I'm interested in those numbers.

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on January 22, 2017, 10:54:24 PM
Added network-manager and firefox-esr to the next levels.. increased each ISO 50 MiB which is not that bad.. both will come in at 375 mark now...

Building them and will upload them as soon as they are done

Can you boot into a session and check that. The current build of firefox-esr (45.6) on Void is broken - can't connect to any google servers or wikipedia. The current build of firefox (51.0) is all good. Don't know if Debian is effected.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Quote from: hakerdefo on January 24, 2017, 06:07:12 AM
p.s. nm-applet is infamous for consuming resources. It can guzzle RAM in amount of 75-200 MB. Even Debian WIKI on ARM build suggests removing the applet for this reason. This is why I'm interested in those numbers.

I will do this today... and get the ISO's out

I do not use any machine in my build environment on wifi so I am not sure I can test the way needed.. unless of course you only want to see it loaded and not necessarily used

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Quote from: PackRat on January 24, 2017, 04:00:51 PM

Can you boot into a session and check that. The current build of firefox-esr (45.6) on Void is broken - can't connect to any google servers or wikipedia. The current build of firefox (51.0) is all good. Don't know if Debian is effected.

Logged in now and accessing my gmail and google search for VSIDO PackRat and all over Wikipedia...

Not an issue with this build

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Can anyone tell me what it is that ceni cannot do?

I dev VSIDO