VSIDO Build 2017

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on January 20, 2017, 01:57:32 AM
^ that is certainly one release I could put out..

Another is centered on your need for a specific recovery tool.. VSIDO now minus multimedia

This is also an exercise for me to have a better repeatable process and refine it .. at the same time I am building images with debian's live-build thanks to this epic DYI Distro How To from Ozitraveller

Wouldn't need a the bells & whistles either - like conky  :D

You going to be using the same installer as ozi?
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

hakerdefo

My take on this discussion. Keep the regular VSIDO build as it has always been and create a light version with Fluxbox, tint2, Terminal emulator, and NetworkManager. Nothing more, nothing less.
Why NetworkManager? Because there will be a plenty of space available ;)
Because there are plenty of users who connect to internet using smart phones and USB datacards (dongles) and wicd fails there. Users can connect to internet and via apt-get turn this VSIDO-LITE into recovery environment, pen-testing distro, Media server, anything they want :)

Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

VastOne

Quote from: PackRat on January 20, 2017, 01:09:42 AM
For the the recovery CD, I just need the basic apps to edit text files and partition/format hard drives.

terminal (xterm is fine)
spacefm, udevil -> not sure about fuse
medit, nano
partitioning tools -> fdisk, cfdisk (I like the ncurses interface), the newer ones for gpt
gparted -> but with the file support for btrfs and xfs
ntfs-3g -> I have Windows machines  :'(
wget
curl
archive tool -> fsarchiver, p7zip-full
wicd -> or just ceni
firefox-esr -> not as buggy, doesn't get whacked by gtk

That's really all I can think of past the base system, coreutils stuff.

Do you use any specialty networking and forensics tools? Those are always handy to have. Hakerdefo probably has few favorites.

Just the basic gtk and icons, don't need any of the multimedia apps.

Phase III of this endeavor is completed with the above toolset added except for Firefox or any browser at all

These are the files needed to get to the goal of Phase III which was to have a build to the point of a fsarchive and add specific tools.. think of these as Silos now as development goes forward.. this is the repeatable process I never had to do what I have really wanted in testing different setups and builds. 

xorg fluxbox lightdm spacefm lxappearance udevil medit xfce4-appfinder dbus-x11 bleachbit psmisc tint2 conky-all xfce4-terminal consolekit policykit-1 yad ncdu rsync squashfs-tools xorriso live-boot live-config live-boot-initramfs-tools live-config-systemd syslinux-common syslinux isolinux liblzo2-2 mtools libburn4 libisoburn1 libisofs6 libjte1 xdotool wmctrl gksu gparted live-tools user-setup xterm nitrogen mirage fsarchiver libcurses-perl libterm-readkey-perl libcurses-ui-perl libio-stty-perl libio-pty-perl libexpect-perl libnl-3-200 libpcsclite1 wpasupplicant scrot curl libgtk2-perl ntfs-3g p7zip-full xfsdump xfsprogs btrfs-progs btrfs-tools curlftpfs xfce4-screenshooter hardinfo bum grsync ssh-askpass

and these refracta tools

refractainstaller-base_9.1.9-1_all.deb
refractainstaller-gui_9.1.9_all.deb
refractasnapshot-base_9.3.4_all.deb
refractasnapshot-gui_9.3.4_all.deb

also included is the default VSIDO /etc/skel which is the default desktop ... and all /usr/local/bin tools (hakerdefo goodies included!)

The x64 is 329 MiB and the x32 is 332 MiB

I will put them both in the test areas once I am done testing them one more time

What I would like to see now is additional thoughts on what should be included and how.. I can script anything with wget and the vsido-welcome script

Think about VSIDO this small and first time logging in does an install of all multimedia and browser of your choice.. think out of the box.. because we can now
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I am aware that there are several menu items missing.. I have not changed the menu's ... this is by design right now

@ PackRat... please confirm that fdisk and cfdisk are at what levels you need them to be

The only installer on these is the the Alternative Installer Method (refracta)

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

They are both current.

You have curl and scrot listed twice in your package list if that's a line for a script.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Nitpicking fucking users...

HA!  I did say that! Out loud!

???  :-*  ???  ???   ???

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Quote from: PackRat on January 22, 2017, 12:51:44 AM
They are both current.

You have curl and scrot listed twice in your package list if that's a line for a script.

I mean on the new ISO's did you dload and check already?

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Quote from: PackRat on January 22, 2017, 12:51:44 AM

Fixed 

mumble grumble old man get OFF MY LAWN

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Quote from: hakerdefo on January 20, 2017, 04:52:28 PM
My take on this discussion. Keep the regular VSIDO build as it has always been and create a light version with Fluxbox, tint2, Terminal emulator, and NetworkManager. Nothing more, nothing less.
Why NetworkManager? Because there will be a plenty of space available ;)
Because there are plenty of users who connect to internet using smart phones and USB datacards (dongles) and wicd fails there. Users can connect to internet and via apt-get turn this VSIDO-LITE into recovery environment, pen-testing distro, Media server, anything they want :)

Cheers!!!

Now that I have the base set, this is the next type of testing that I can start on.. a throwaway test if NM is to much.. :D

I'll begin with it

Also hakerdefo, think about the scripting options from here.. the user with this base and we could build scripts to get anything... think of that and let's have a discussion

I am thinking out of the gate that a choice would be between FF and Chrome (or anything else) as a browser, multimedia installs of what we now use on VSIDO and all those tools as another choice and security features as another (tor, etc)... I think this might be the future of distros or could be

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on January 22, 2017, 01:00:24 AM
mumble grumble old man get OFF MY LAWN

getting the iso now.

Edit - looks good, pretty smooth boot and found my network:

no issues with the partioning apps.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ Good one and thanks... Found I missed installing fsarchiver... looks like I wrote it down but did not install it.. will fix obviously but install it if you use this disk

Thank you

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

^ That was on the x32 build only

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

Quote from: VastOne on January 22, 2017, 01:08:16 AM...
I am thinking out of the gate that a choice would be between FF and Chrome (or anything else) as a browser, multimedia installs of what we now use on VSIDO and all those tools as another choice and security features as another (tor, etc)... I think this might be the future of distros or could be...
VSIDO-LITE should replace wicd with NM. And give me list of applications with category, i.e. File-Managers (Thunar, SpaceFM, PCmanFM), Browsers (FF, Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi) etc. etc. And I'll build you a YAD welcome script to install them.
Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

VastOne

^ Tomorrows project... I am wiped tonight and need sleep

;D

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

QuoteVSIDO-LITE should replace wicd with NM

NetworkManager would br preferrable, but have the Debian-based distros been having the same breakage issues (seems to just quit working) some of the rolling release distros have? I would suspect not, since Debian probably has the manpower to keep up with the devlopment of NM and it's dependencies.

Edit - I removed wicd and re-installed NetworkManager and nm-applet to see if they fail.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo