VSIDO Build 2017

VastOne

I must say again the new vchroot tool that hakerdefo made is unbelievable..

When I need to add a simple tool to the ISO's it is so damned nice to not have to boot into all of them.. this tool makes it a breeze... so damned easy

Takes one of the most complex ideas (chroot) and makes it a practical use tool

Thank you hakerdefo!!!!
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

What is the real need for synaptic?  A gui for terminal and dpkg?  I never ever use it so I need to know

aptitude is not even installed yet ... and everything functions at a normal level to what I do

So this is a legit question.. why do we need synaptic?  It adds 13.3 MiB of additional space for what?

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

No need other than a gui; it can be handy to find the actual file name of a package you're looking to install.

Didn't it use to be default? Just curious if it was dropped.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

It is the default in Standard VSIDO and will remain so until if and when any of this expedition changes the Standard VSIDO

Chicken and the egg again?

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I just setup these two aliases and honestly I do not know why I never thought of it before

alias ins='sudo dpkg -i ./*.deb'
alias deins='sudo dpkg -r ./*.deb'

The setup is clumsy though IMO.. The method for this would work for a single deb file in a directory but if there were more it would install more

Open to options

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

LVM is working OOTB.

For some reason, my #2 and #3 harddrives were assigned /dev/sde and /dev/sdg - usually it's the usual sdb and sdc. May have something to do with the sd-card reader I installed.

Also, in fstab, the LVM needs the fix like /home and swap or there will be the minute-thirty delay issue.

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ Thanks for the heads up.. I am testing now how to change fstab settings.. not sure if the best approach is to alter the script or an after install function

That looks really good...

What are you booting to as far as memory use?  I have seen as low as 65 Mib on tests

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

@RatMan..

What is your minimal for Multimedia setup? What is your must haves is what I mean... that's my next level

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

For the recent screenshot, I have installed:

alsa-base
alsa-utils

audacious    <- gmusicbrowser is good
audacious-plugins
moc
mpv
asunder
hexchat

libdvdcss
gstreamer-plugins good, bad, and ugly 1.0
ffmpeg
moc-ffmpeg-plugin
flac
lame
sox

and the various dependencies that pulled in with those.

pretty much does what I need it to do. I get way better sound with just alsa.

To get to the 2.8G, I also have hexchat, gphoto2, a couple other cli apps installed, and the packages to build a custom kernel. I found some references to a kernel config option to prevent that minute-thirty delay so I went ahead and built a custom kernel. So that 2.8G includes those packages and 3 kernels with headers. Figure ~2.5G basic setup with multimedia.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

PackRat

Drop conky you say?

For the lite edition, why not drop conky? It should also remove any lua dependencies. You have nothing other than conky that needs lua installed correct? Save some space there.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

PackRat

QuoteWhat are you booting to as far as memory use?  I have seen as low as 65 Mib on tests

With network-manager running I was idling at 112 Mib with 2 terminals open.

This computer is hard-wired, no wireless, so i uninstalled network-manager and used ceni - idles at 107 Mib.

That's with lvm2 services running, so without that I can probably idle at ~100 Mib or maybe less.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

PackRat

I'll post this here, although it's more about this thread and the 1 min 30 sec boot delay.

@vastone - is this line from the /etc/fstab actually needed for VSIDO?

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

From the Debian wiki for fstab -

QuoteIt is not necessary to list /proc and /sys in the fstab unless some special options are needed. The boot system will always mount them.

If you comapre the fstab for VSIDO that jed posted in the "A Start Job is running..." thread, he has the entry in fstab.
For the clean Debian testing I installed that entry no longer exists.

I went ahead and copmmented the proc entry in the /etc/fstab for this install of vsido-lite and changed the options back to "default" for /home and lvm.
Reboot and no 1 min 30 sec delay, or errors/warning related to mounting.

Depricated entry messing with systemd?
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ thank you PackRat.. that narrows my search and solution down to a single setting which makes it hella lot easier

I appreciate that!

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

No problem.

Everything mounted and sitting at 108 MiB when all said and done; even with the dreaded conky 1.10 running:

gimp, transmission, and filezilla installed now. Pretty much complete sysrtem for me at 2.6G; rip some music and set up an NFS server - maybe get to it tomorrow.

Well played vastone.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo