pmss (Poor Man's Screenshooter)

VastOne

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on December 12, 2016, 06:27:24 PM
xdotool and wmctrl  are defaults in a certain VSIDO distro..  :P  8)

And I took a cue from a certain Sid-based distro and made sure to include them in my Void fluxbox spin.  ;D
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

PackRat

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

I am curios if it is possible to have the terminal minimize when selecting A Take the Screenshot of area selected by mouse

If I try to alt tab to another window after selecting A that makes the choice. If I try to minimize it, that also makes the choice and each one of these leave the terminal in the scrot .. which I do not want

So a better approach may be to automatically minimize the terminal until mouse function is complete

What do you think?

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

A housekeeping request

Could the default location of scrots be changed in the script from

DIR="${HOME}/Pictures/Screenshots"

to

DIR="${HOME}/images/scrots"

I know that I can change it (and did change it)

The defaults in VSIDO is /images/scrot and /Pictures/scrot is not even a setup

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on December 13, 2016, 12:00:41 AM
I am curios if it is possible to have the terminal minimize when selecting A Take the Screenshot of area selected by mouse

If I try to alt tab to another window after selecting A that makes the choice. If I try to minimize it, that also makes the choice and each one of these leave the terminal in the scrot .. which I do not want

So a better approach may be to automatically minimize the terminal until mouse function is complete

What do you think?

Yes, I looked at the script and the timer options present in the other options are missing from the select a window function.

in the " function area_mouse (){ " section, you can change:

scrot -s "${NAME}"

to

scrot -s -d10 -c "${NAME}"

to add 10 seconds delay to the screenshot. Close the terminal and any other apps while the timer is counting down.

I made the change and saved to a new script to confirm.

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ xdg-open is not liking that option... It works to get to a point where you should be able to select a rectangle but there is nothing you can do

This is the error it spits out and it makes sense because nothing was selected for an image to be created

Shot-121216-184812.png Saved in /home/vastone/images/scrots

xdg-open: file '/home/vastone/images/scrots/Shot-121216-184812.png' does not exist

Would you like to upload the shot to imgur?

Press "Y" to upload the shot to imgur
Press "N" to go back to the main menu

Enter Your Choice:

I am thinking there will be additional code to handle the capture

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Might be another difference between Void and Debian then. When running the script, I can:

1. Select area when prompted to do so
2. Minimize terminal as the timer counts down
3. Screnshot taken, ristretto opens with image
4. Un-minimize terminal and post to imagur.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

What appears to be missing for me is the ability to select an area

Nothing I do presents any type of or THE capture tool

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

My mouse cursor doesn't change - it doesn't become a "+" like it does for xfce4-screenshooter. A the "Draw A Rectangle On The Screen And Area Inside It Will Be Captured.."
message, I just grab an area by holding down Mouse1 and dragging a rectagle. The countdown starts when I release Mouse1.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Snap

+1 for xdotool and wmctrl. They always go in along with xorg and fluxbox on my systems. It should be a metapackage LOL.

@ PackRat: might be a good moment to try maim and/or escrotum in Void. They both are in the repos. They are supposedly improved shooters to overcome the scrot usual glitches and limitations. Never bothered to try them so far. I guess pmss would be easily adapted for those needing a bit more than what the good old unpatched scrot gives.

hakerdefo

version 2 with a few VSIDO specific changes coming later today.
Stay tuned ;)
Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

VastOne

^ Thanks for posting this.. I am tired and need sleep and the ISO's I wanted to test and upload can now be redone tomorrow after you update this

Thanks for all you do hakerdefo!

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Quote from: PackRat on December 13, 2016, 03:25:26 AM
My mouse cursor doesn't change - it doesn't become a "+" like it does for xfce4-screenshooter. A the "Draw A Rectangle On The Screen And Area Inside It Will Be Captured.."
message, I just grab an area by holding down Mouse1 and dragging a rectagle. The countdown starts when I release Mouse1.

Do you see a rectangle as you drag and draw?

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Yes.

A 1-2 pixel wide, solid line, rectangle.

It's black - so on your (vsido) default wallpaer you may not see it; maybe try a lighter background. Might be worth it to change the color to red; not sure what line defines the rectangle in the function or I'd give it a try myself.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo