Gotta love Debian now

VastOne

Changed my network settings from dhcp to static IP in a normal everyday /etc/network/interfaces edit...
and you guessed it...
IT BLEW UP X
Wait, what?
Yasssss it fucking blew up X. So I booted to another partition, changed back to dhcp and the fucking thing booted normally, X all good

Are you fucking kidding me that in debian land a simple edit to /etc/network/interface can kill X?
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Snap

The Xserver transition is still not complete. 85% as of today. But it sounds strange that setting an static IP borks the X anyway.

PackRat

Did you make that change manually or use Ceni?
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

Manual.. I will try it again with Ceni and see if that kills it too

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I did have the issue with ceni but after looking at the results, ceni had put both eth0 and eth1 in the file .. which cannot happen

So it appears an error can cause X to blow up in an edit. It is possible my initial edit had a blank space where it should not have been.. I do not know, that is just speculation

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

Are you using wicd-tray or nm-applet?
If yes, then first disable wicd-tray/nm-applet from auto-starting and then retry the manual static-IP procedure and see what happens.
Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

VastOne

^ No.

I always do these changes manually. I used ceni per the Packrat request and it looks like X puked simply because of errors in the interfaces file

No matter the cause, it is bullshit that an entire system can go to shit because of a setting in your network interfaces file

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on December 07, 2016, 08:24:44 PM
No matter the cause, it is bullshit that an entire system can go to shit because of a setting in your network interfaces file

It may have just hung at the discover network phase - I've had a similar issue when I was changing from Network Manager to manual for a wired desktop. That was a while ago, but as I recall I left to get a cup of coffee and generally calm down. When I go back, I think it finished booting but with no network. It's like the time out is 2-5 minutes with no error message.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ No

This is a hard freeze of X at a 640x480 login screen..

IOW, it makes it to the login screen after flashing in 16 different modes and settles at 640x480. At this point it is dead to anything except a fat finger hold of the power button for 5 seconds

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Right... your descriptive method of failure would be acceptable

This is outright bullshit where an edit kills a complete system

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

Hi there VastOne,

I think the incorrect config and restart of the whole networking stack causes the dbus to shutdown and that in-turn kills the display manager. Let's test this theory,

Assign the static IP and run the following command,

sudo ifdown -a --exclude=lo && ifup -a --exclude=lo

Does the X survive?

Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

jeffreyC

Is this part of the joys of systemd uber alles?

VastOne

^ It sure seems that way to me...

But it is awfully easy to blame systemd for debian bullshit.. they are after all partners

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Not without some justification though -

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo