(SOLVED) Latest xserver updates bork my VSIDO

VastOne

Having said and done all that, I would not recommend anyone updating right now if you run Chrome, Kodi or anything Media intensive...

Anything Chrome I launch kills either itself or the entire desktop (freezes)

Kodi is a complete failure... it starts for maybe 15 seconds and then kills the desktop and only a ctrl alt delete works to get you to a new login

These are related but neither is giving ANY indication from terminal or any logs on what is actually happening

Makes filing a bug report just about impossible
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Snap

WTF!!! Seriously?

aptitude why multiarch-support
i   libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0 PreDepends multiarch-suppor

gstreamer plugins need multiarch in a 64 bit system? Why?  ::)

I cannot go bravely like VastOne did if I want to keep the Nividia-driver. Maybe I should go back to nouveau... I'll think about it. I'm not happy with this situation to say the truth.

Sometimes dependencies sound absurd. Like mpv pulling in samba. Why a media player necessarily needs the f...ing samba server? It should be an option, not a dependency.

hakerdefo

Bookmark following page and keep an eye on "xserver1.19" transition.

https://release.debian.org/transitions/

Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

PackRat

QuoteI cannot go bravely like VastOne did if I want to keep the Nividia-driver. Maybe I should go back to nouveau... I'll think about it. I'm not happy with this situation to say the truth.

Upgrading X breaks that now? Use to be just kernel upgrades.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

jedi

I am with Snap.  NVidia card in my laptop.  (GTX 980M)  There is a vast (no relation to VastOne) difference in my display when using Nouveau, instead of the actual NVidia driver.  The NVidia driver makes the graphics card really perform.  Nouveau, not so much.  This is, for me, just an issue with how new the tech is and how it works with old Linux drivers.  My particular graphics card does not like nouveau at all.  Not to get sidetracked, I too am really wondering why mutiarch-support is pulled in.  The following is the output from terminal...

jedi@nixnut:~$ apt-rdepends --state-follow=Installed --state-show=Installed multiarch-support
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
multiarch-support
  Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-2)
libc6
  Depends: libgcc1
libgcc1
  Depends: gcc-6-base (= 6.2.1-4)
  Depends: libc6 (>= 2.14)
gcc-6-base

And, is 'multiarch-support' indicative that I have the full blown multiarch system files on my system, or is 'multiarch-support' just a small driver file or support file, as it were, that is basically inconsequential?  Just wondering out loud so-to-speak. :)

As hakerdefoe mentions, apt-rdepends will need to be installed.  It is not part of a default VSIDO install.  (yet)
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

Snap

Same here. I've got a GTX 960 a while ago and the there's a real performance difference using one of the two drivers.

It seems once multiarch drops in it's difficult to get rid of it. It's not just the package. once you start going with it, it extends its fingers and makes a mess to remove the thing. Got rid of gstreamer but cannot easily remove multiarch-support. Neither mpv or moc needs gstreamer. Purged the gst thing and I still got the players working nice. I started installing the gts stuff to fully avoid flash player in Iceweasel/Firefox. The stuff is needed so the built-in html5 player could play everything, but I haven't played anything within a browser in about a year. mpv does it all. No more gstreamer for me. For the multiarch part, I think I'll have to swallow it for now.

QuoteUpgrading X breaks that now? Use to be just kernel upgrades.

It seems so. The thing started together with the X transition. Or maybe it's just coincidence, I'm still on the 4.4 LTS kernel patiently waiting for the next LTS kernel, 4.9 due soon.  Maybe the new Xserver doesn't like this kernel.

EDIT: Yes, nvidia-graphics-driver is part of the Xorg transition. So it's not the kernel this time. This package wants to remove the whole Nvidia thing.

https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/xserver1.19.html

Snap

Quote from: hakerdefo on November 28, 2016, 09:04:07 AM
Bookmark following page and keep an eye on "xserver1.19" transition.

https://release.debian.org/transitions/

Cheers!!!

Huh, still at 12%. It might be a long one. Thanks, hackedefo. I'll keep an eye on it.

Snap

Got it. Today the nvidia driver likes to stay in and only three unneeded xorg video things to remove. Apparently all good after reboot.

jedi

Way to go Snap!  I too am working splendidly...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

Quote from: VastOne on November 28, 2016, 01:58:22 AM
Having said and done all that, I would not recommend anyone updating right now if you run Chrome, Kodi or anything Media intensive...

Anything Chrome I launch kills either itself or the entire desktop (freezes)

Kodi is a complete failure... it starts for maybe 15 seconds and then kills the desktop and only a ctrl alt delete works to get you to a new login

These are related but neither is giving ANY indication from terminal or any logs on what is actually happening

Makes filing a bug report just about impossible

Am I the only one still struggling with this issue?  The xserver 1.19 transition is at 97 percent but I do not believe it has anything to do with it

Anything after opening more than one tab in Chrome and it freezes... Kodi freezes on any mouse movements to another menu (completely random)

The hardest part about this is neither one of these apps have any error reporting of exactly what is happening.. If I run it from terminal there is nothing there at all that indicates what is going on when it crashes

I am running fine on a partition that has not been updated since all of this started with no crashes whatsoever.. so even though it does not appear to be related to this, it obviously is and it has been going on for 3 weeks straight now

This is a SID issue and expected but it is damn frustrating and even more so because none of the apps affected are VSIDO apps, they are just one I use

BTW it is every version of Chrome and Chromium ... stable to unstable

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Hey VastOne, I'm having no issues at all now, and haven't since posting around the same time as Snap on this thread.  Sorry to hear your still having issues.  After a couple of conversations with an esteemed seer of mine in the Linux community, I started using Kodi.  If my Kodi was not working properly, I'd have the heads of all the X's out there!  :D
Forum Netiquette

VastOne

So in a nutshell, you are completely up to day in SID using nVidia drivers and no issues?

I am using nouveau and wonder if that is the issue

Get to IRC please...  ;D

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Yes, totally up to date as of 3 hours ago, no issues at all in VSIDO using both Fluxbox and KDE Plasma 5.  On 2 different partitions.
Forum Netiquette

jedi

Aamof, I just checked and noticed that this is the first time I've ever noticed 'Chrome' running with more than one tab open, and I'm still setting at less than 900Mb of RAM being utilized!  Very encouraging as it used to be a real 'HOG'!  I should also clarify, this is a solely personal opinion.  I have so much drive space, on top of (what must seem like a limitless supply to Linux) 32 Gb's of the latest RAM tech, so I really never worry about it.
Also, I've not much experience with Chromium.  Just Chrome...
Forum Netiquette

VastOne

I installed the latest nVidia drivers and now Chrome and Kodi work flawlessly

At least now I have evidence that the issue is in fact a nouveau driver issue and can now send bug reports to nouveau, Chrome and Kodi developers

Or just wait until the nouveau folks catch up with the X11 changes

I dev VSIDO