(SOLVED) Latest xserver updates bork my VSIDO

jedi

So like it says in the title!  :D  Ran a 'UP' (another perfect alias) and was totally 'burned' by xorg.  I played around with it for a bit, but needed to be up and running so I restored yesterdays fsa archive!

Just a heads up and a place to ponder this...  ???
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

No warning from apt-get, or list of packages getting held back?
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

jedi

Quote from: PackRat on November 25, 2016, 04:58:42 PM
No warning from apt-get, or list of packages getting held back?

Nothing held back.  Just a typical dist-up.  A couple of scrots...

To be removed:

To be upgraded:

Upon completion, no X.  Just ends up at a TTY.  I can log in and do whatever then, just no X.  Tried all the tricks I know to get it back, (xorg/X/xserver. whatever...) to no avail.  Just decided in the end to stop trying to figure out something I knew nothing about, and restored the previous days fsarchive.  Now I'm just holding off on the 'UP' till someone says otherwise...

Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

Snap

Same here. No warnings regarding xorg AFAIK. But want to remove the Xserver and nvidia drivers all together.  Apparently the last recent big Xorg upgrade is messy once again.

https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=6455.0

Maybe it's only affecting multiarch systems. Not sure. I don't know when the heck multiarch went in as a depeendency of something... maybe. As far as I remember I wanted to keep it away and never got the intention of installing it, but here it is. Didn't tried to solve the xorg issue this way whatsoever.

jedi

Quote from: Snap on November 26, 2016, 06:37:06 AM
Same here. No warnings regarding xorg AFAIK. But want to remove the Xserver and nvidia drivers all together. 
Maybe it's only affecting multiarch systems. Not sure. I don't know when the heck multiarch went in as a depeendency of something... maybe. As far as I remember I wanted to keep it away and never got the intention of installing it, but here it is. Didn't tried to solve the xorg issue this way whatsoever.

And there you have it. When did I ever put in multiarch support for anything?  ??? This is a mystery to me as well...   ???
Forum Netiquette

PackRat

Quote...be fallout of the libc6-update on multiarch machines

might just be the libc6 updates. Either of you running something 32-bit on a 64-bit system - like Skype?
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

No skype here.  No 32bit of any kind I thought.   ???
Forum Netiquette

VastOne

Has this issue passed?

Anyone updated lately that has not been borked?

This is my message on an attempt... it looks safe enough

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse xserver-xorg-video-sisusb
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libldap-common libxfont2
The following packages have been kept back:
  mplayer2
The following packages will be upgraded:
  apt apt-utils aspell-en binutils console-setup console-setup-linux cpp-6 devscripts
  fonts-freefont-ttf g++-6 gcc-6 gcc-6-base gir1.2-gtk-3.0 google-chrome-unstable
  gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio
  gtk-update-icon-cache imagemagick imagemagick-6-common imagemagick-6.q16 keyboard-configuration
  libapt-inst2.0 libapt-pkg5.0 libasan3 libatomic1 libavcodec57 libavdevice57 libavfilter6
  libavformat57 libavresample3 libavutil55 libc-bin libc-dev-bin libc-l10n libc6 libc6-dev
  libcc1-0 libcilkrts5 libclass-inspector-perl libfont-afm-perl libgcc-6-dev libgcc1 libgfortran3
  libglib2.0-0 libglib2.0-data libgomp1 libgpgme11 libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0 libgtk-3-0
  libgtk-3-bin libgtk-3-common libimage-magick-perl libimage-magick-q16-perl libitm1
  libldap-2.4-2 liblockfile-bin liblockfile1 liblsan0 libmagick++-6.q16-6v6 libmagickcore-6.q16-2
  libmagickcore-6.q16-2-extra libmagickwand-6.q16-2 libmpx2 libnotmuch4 libpostproc54
  libquadmath0 libsasl2-2 libsasl2-modules libsasl2-modules-db libshine3 libsndio6.1
  libstdc++-6-dev libstdc++6 libswresample2 libswscale4 libtesseract-data libtesseract3 libtsan0
  libubsan0 libudisks2-0 libustr-1.0-1 libvlc-bin libvlc5 libvlccore8 libxfont1 licensecheck
  locales lsb-base lsb-release mplayer mpv multiarch-support python-gpgme rsyslog smplayer
  smplayer-l10n tzdata udisks2 vlc vlc-bin vlc-data vlc-l10n vlc-plugin-base vlc-plugin-notify
  vlc-plugin-qt vlc-plugin-samba vlc-plugin-skins2 vlc-plugin-video-output
  vlc-plugin-video-splitter vlc-plugin-visualization x11-common xfonts-utils xserver-common
  xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-evdev
  xserver-xorg-input-libinput xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
  xserver-xorg-input-wacom xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu
  xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-cirrus xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
  xserver-xorg-video-intel xserver-xorg-video-mach64 xserver-xorg-video-mga
  xserver-xorg-video-neomagic xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-qxl
  xserver-xorg-video-r128 xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-savage
  xserver-xorg-video-tdfx xserver-xorg-video-trident xserver-xorg-video-vesa
  xserver-xorg-video-vmware
140 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 2 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 166 MB of archives.
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

I would wait a day or two - part of X is still being removed while the rest is being updated - and I don't see either of those packages in the to be updated group.

Strictly anecdotal evidence, but whenever I see that scenario with X, python, or perl running the upgrade breaks something.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

I've not tried to update again.  Just didn't want to fight with it.  I've been updating pretty much daily for many moons now.  In the past though, I've gone a month before so a few days wont hurt.  This is being discussed, as Snap linked above, on other forums so not too worried about it.

I'll forever be indebted to VastOne for showing me fsarchive!  A wonderful tool that has been included in VSIDO since day 1!  Much thanks sir!  What a fast way to get your entire system back.  My root BU to .fsa produces an archive file around 2.2 Gb's.  Restores in about a minute flat!   8)
Forum Netiquette

hakerdefo

apt-cache rdepends multiarch-support

Will tell you what brings-in multiarch-support.

Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

Snap

^ Wow, the list of packages is huge! Thanks for the tip, hackerdefo. No idea why this happened. I'm not aware of using any  32 bit software, but I have a real mess here for some reason. Anyway, as jedi already pointed out, a little wait won't hurt.  Let's wait for the xorg transition to settle.

Whenever I change my main system I'll pin multiarch-support to avoid it sliding in again... Or just going back to 32 bit systems.

hakerdefo

Quote from: Snap on November 27, 2016, 06:30:55 AM
^ Wow, the list of packages is huge...

There seems a slight misunderstanding  ;)
All of those packages are not installed on your system! Some of them are, but not all of them.
"apt-cache rdepends multiarch-support" will also list those packages that are not installed but pre-requires "multiarch-support".

Much more better way of finding the installed-only list is following,

apt-rdepends --state-follow=Installed --state-show=Installed multiarch-support

You will need "apt-rdepends" package installed for the above command.

Yet another way of doing the same is with "aptitude",

aptitude why multiarch-support

Output is not as detailed as "apt-rdepends" but should be good-enough for most cases.

Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

VastOne

I said fuck it and upgraded...  ???  ???  ???

Rebooting now

xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse is for vmware which I do not have and xserver-xorg-video-sisusb is for SiS USB display driver which I have no clue about nor need nor will ever need

Will release a primal scream if I cannot boot to X

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Back with no issues... it took a moment or three longer to appear but it did.. had a strange Mode Not Supported message (from my monitor) and then it started

V-Ger is no pussy...

we got it done...

y'all can update Hold, see below

I dev VSIDO