Synaptic disapears

Lex-Linux

Is there a log file I could provide, or that I should  be looking at?

I appreciate your time and effort btw.

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on May 30, 2016, 05:13:05 PM
I have installed the same ISO on several machines including on an hp laptop and I cannot reproduce the error. I am hoping to hear from PackRat soon to get some input from him from a FluxBox perspective...

The right click menu has a  FluxBox submenu and within there is a FluxBox Menu Editor. Open that and find Synaptic and verify the command is in fact

su-to-root -X -c synaptic

Not a fluxbox issue; since the password dialog box opens, the command is executed then fails silently. This sort of thing occurs because of lack of permission, incorrect password, or some other issue with the users credentials. Since the command executed, the menu entry syntax is accurate.

Is su-to-root a script? I don't have it installed (no vsido installed, using Debian Sid until some new iso's come through). Post the script contents, or ley me know the package that needs to be installed to get it.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

PackRat

Quote from: Lex-Linux on May 30, 2016, 04:33:27 PM
To the best of my knowledge, it has been like this since after the initial install. I've been using the command line to install, then thought I would use synaptic, to look up a package or two, and that is when I noticed.

So you have been using apt-get from the command line? In a terminal try:

sudo synaptic

and see if you can use synaptic after entering your user password.

QuoteI did not change the default, for the root password during installation. The su-to-root command, root's password doesn't change anything.

In a terminal can you change to the root user? In case you have never done it, in a terminal -

su

then the root password when prompted.

My guess is that the root password is not set or not registering. You can try changing it from the command line, and then try running synaptic again with su-to-root.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

New ISO's coming today if I can resolve an issue with dialogue menus not showing up correctly.  Will post this on another thread

Kernel 4.5 panic issues have been resolved
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

^ Nice

Missed this line earlier -

QuoteI can start synaptic from the cli so it really is not a huge issue. Trying to open synaptic from the menu is still a no go.

How are you starting synaptic from the command line?
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Lex-Linux

yes packrat

sudo synaptic... accepts my password and then runs synaptic. The menu though appears as FileEditPackageSettingsHelp with no spaces between, don't know if that is how it is suppose to be, just mentioning it.

PackRat

The synaptic menu bar you mean? Yes, that is a gtk3 error/bug - a recent gtk3 update borked a bunch of themes. Jedi, myself, and a whole lot of Arch users have been seeing a lot of errors (including the menu bar error you have) in any number of themes. You can try some different themes for your user and root to try and find one that works.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

This page will give you links to updated Gtk3 themes that work correctly.  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GTK%2B#Themes

The new Gtk3 (3.20) breaks almost all the old themes.  The link above while an Arch link, will work fine in VSIDO and Debian.
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

hakerdefo

This one is patched to work with latest GTK  updates and is available in easy to install .deb format,

https://sourceforge.net/projects/semplice-linux/files/archive/pool/main/s/semplice-zuki-themes/semplice-zuki-themes_3.20.0.1-1_all.deb/download

Download-install it, Change the theme to Zuki, Logout-Login, Launch Synaptic, Hope for the best ;)
Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

Lex-Linux

Thanks to both of you for the links.

hakerdefo

You Can't Always Git What You Want