4 Years and a lot of changes but...

VastOne

This machine was the oldest piece of testing crap I could come up with for metal testing when I began all of this 4 years ago

It still today installs the latest ISO and runs as good as ever at 100 MiB of memory on boot and 500 MiB of it's 1 gig used with two tabs open in Iceweasel

You gotta love debian

System:    Host: vsido Kernel: 4.4.0-1-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Fluxbox 1.3.5 Distro: VSIDO Jedi x64 jedi jedi
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Compaq dc7600 Convertible Minitower
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 09F0h Bios: Hewlett-Packard version: 786D1 v01.03 date: 05/18/2005
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-HT-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3)
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2800.00 MHz 2: 2800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller
           X.Org: 1.18.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1440x900@59.89hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945G GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 11.1.2
Audio:     Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k4.4.0-1-amd64
Network:   Card: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5752 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver: tg3
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:16:35:ad:21:92
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (3.3% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST3808110AS size: 80.0GB
Partition: ID: / size: 26G used: 2.4G (10%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 20G used: 67M (1%) fs: ext4
           ID: swap-1 size: 8.80GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 113 Uptime: 12 min Memory: 167.6/988.4MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.14

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

What OS was originally installed on that machine?

One of the best selling points for Linux - keeping older equipment in the game:

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

Windows XP Professional

It actually runs super fast and quiet as heck... I may convert it to the backup www and v-ger server

I dev VSIDO

zephyr

^ I had a copy of Windows XP Pro, the last Microsoft edition I owned.

It made a nice coffee coaster once I moved to Linux and Debian! : )

Since I moved to my new place, either haven't unpacked it or lost it somewhere. : (

Z
CROWZ / STAR / Devuan / refracta / VSIDO

VastOne

True story from today... About 3 months ago I got a recovery Windows 7 ISO from Microsoft and rebuilt my daughters photography workstation on an updated machine and that all went well

Today I used that same usb I had Win 7 on to pass along a couple of movies ... Virus detection kicked in immediately identifying hacktools, a trojan of some kind

The individual asked why didn't my virus tools find it and delete and that my machine must be infected... Explained Linux and that that trojan was only designed for Microsoft...

I had been using that same USB for months and had no clue something malicious was on it directly from Microsoft

I do NOT miss that day to day bullshit at all

I dev VSIDO

zephyr

^
Many people moved away from M$ for one reason or another, ponder the percentage did for that very reason...exploit-ware in it's various forms.

Z

CROWZ / STAR / Devuan / refracta / VSIDO

dizzie

Man! Now I want to revive my old P4 (2.8 ghz "servergrade") and use it for something :) It has 8Gb ram, on the motherboard and everything too :)

Thanks for sharing VastOne, sure brought back some fond memories.
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |