live-boot-initramfs-tools conflict

zephyr

Installed to metal and all went well, reboot to visdo-welcome and completed. Reboot and re-ran d-u (often do on a fresh install) and initramfs-tools was prompted to update, y and then error code 1. Ran check and live-boot-initramfs-tools was installed. My guess this is a conflict and maybe live-hook the culprit. Removed live-boot-initramfs-tools and rebooted, and ran d-u, all clear and works as should with no errors.

Also Pithos failed and found the pithos file located in /usr/local/bin prevents it from running, commented it out and now works. Puzzled with why on that.
Thank you!

Z
CROWZ / STAR / Devuan / refracta / VSIDO

VastOne

Thanks Z for reporting this but I cannot recreate the initramfs issue on a VirtualBox install or on a live-metal install

I have only run the installation and not the vsido-welcome script.  Is it possible that both you and dizzie are running/getting something from that script that is affecting this? I need the both of you to give me an idea of what you get from the welcome script so I can trace it down

I have corrected the pithos issue on the next ISO which is available now from the download page

On the next set of ISO's I build today, I am eliminating the virtualbox client bullshit as it is way more of a hassle than a joy. Any errors on the live-cd makes VSIDO look like a POS rookie distro and that is unacceptable
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

dizzie

Recreate? Let me try and think what I did.

1. Installed as usual
2. Removed the vbox and vbox-service with systemctl and uninstall.sh in /opt/VirtualBox
3. Installed my own little pack of goodies (i3, mpd, etc etc)
*** and I got a "initramfs.... cannot blah blah in /lib/live/boot ***
+++ I did a mkdir -p /lib/live/boot + initramfs -u, and a apt-get install -f, which seemed to do the trick. I have no idea how to remove any livebuild tools, so the mkdir was a cheap shot, that apparently worked

I don't have any logs, but this is what I can remember VastOne
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

VastOne

^ Except for the goodies pack I have done that as well

I still cannot recreate this on metal or V-Box

I am using new ISO's from last night, it is conceivable that the issue has been resolved from the latest SID updates... the only way to confirm this is if your or zephyr can reinstall using the latest ISO's 

I am not asking this since there seems to be resolution either by you and zephyr fixing it and it is not reproducible..

I am building new ISO's right now that will be available in an hour for testing that has V-Box guest additions gone

I dev VSIDO

dizzie

in that case, try this :

"apt-get install i3 moc mc urxvt-unicode-256color weechat"

Pretty much when I install everytime, I need my urxvt :D

VastOne

^ None of those affect initramfs in any way... they are not the culprit

I dev VSIDO

dizzie

VastOne

^ Except that does not explain zephyr with the same issue..  ::)

I dev VSIDO

dizzie

zephyr

Installed 2016Feb21 VSIDO iso and rebooted. Ran d-u without welcome-screen and no conflicts. Ran vsido-welcome screens one at a time, rebooted, and ran d-u and reboot with each individual screen. No conflicts. I did want to isolate which screen.

live-boot-Initramfs-tools is installed but does not cause conflict as before.

Installed Pithos, works nicely.

All works as advertised on this end, complete install to metal without previous past issue. 

Thanks

Z

VastOne

^ Thanks for that diligent work Z...  8)

It was just what I needed to confirm it had something to do with a recent update that has since been corrected

Much obliged to you and dizzie for the help

I dev VSIDO

zephyr

Cause and effect, bout what I know of karma. Good to know that dizzie and I had the same issue and not a loners on this! : )

Thanks dizzie!

Thanks VastOne, pleasure to assist! 

Z

filip

@live-boot:

@VastOne:

I guess you're not using a "*-packages.remove" file with the installer?

If so, live-* packages ( live-boot in particular ) are/is 99.9% the culprit here.

Easiest fix would be to:
1. List "live-config/live-boot/live-*" packages in "/etc/linstaller/vsido-packages.remove"  ( one per line ),
2. And add to "/etc/linstaller/vsido-base" config:
[module:debian]
remove = /etc/linstaller/vsido.packages-remove
autoremove = True
# autoremove is not mandatory here, however if you do enable it, check the log after the install
# to make sure it didn't remove some package(s) it shoudn't have!!!

That way installer will remove listed packages during the installation, which should solve initramfs problems for good/everyone. :)

live-boot/config stuff is completelly useless outside of live system, and can cause problems like this ( I can't remember now which, but there is atleast one program, besides initramfs, that relies on existence of "/lib/live" dir to establish whether or not it's running in live, thus having live-* installed will make it "think" it is ).
:)

VastOne

^ Excellent filip... I appreciate this little tutoring

This was my next course of action if it was not resolved naturally, but I do want them removed.. this setup will be on the next ISO

Thanks mate...  ;D

I dev VSIDO

Snap

The only "problem" I see is if anyone wants to remaster Vsido with his own twists. live tools should then be present, but other than that, I fully agree to keep 'em all away. They only gave headaches and have no purpose on installed systems.