VSIDO new linstaller Discussion

VastOne

^ Good intel...

Version of V-Box?

You use something other than VirtualBox... ;)
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Did a lot of testing today... posted several issues on git when using something other than ext4 as the root partition...

Did get a good ext4 install though..

First sub 2:30 install

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Both my attempts were done with ext4 format and a swap partition - I obviously missed that this format was an issue. D'oh!  ::) totally mis-read the issue you were having.

I do not use V-box or any other virtualiztion. If I have a spare partition, I may dual boot; otherwise, I just do a clean install and roll with it. For this test install, I brought the dual-core AMD out of retirement and did a clean install. It has the 3 HDD so I wanted to try LVM as well in case I want to use it as a file server of some sort. The successful install finished in about 3-4 minutes while I checked email on the other computer. Rather impressive.

I like the new installer. The only feature I miss on either of the vsido installers is the option to specify a user-defined mount point - i,e, /media/music - maybe I missed it on the new installer, but it looked like the options were limited to /, /home, /usr, /var, and swap - all the basics
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

misko_2083

As Dragan said:
https://gitlab.com/trios-linux/trios-installer/issues/1
Some packages will have to be installed for xfs, hfs+ and raiserfs file systems. Tools to format and mount partitions.
For hfs hfsutils. hfsprogs is allready installed

PackRat

Did a second install to metal. One major issue -

at the create user dialog, I opted to activate the root account/password. The installer accepted the root password and went to completion. After reboot, I Ctrl-Alt-F1 to tty1 and tried to log in as root to do the upgrades. Not only was the root password not recognized/authenticated, sudo was disabled so I had no root privileges  :'(

Tried the root password with the caps lock on just in case - no go. Pretty sure I did not make a typo - certainly not the same one twice.

Ended up booting with the live CD and adding my user name to sudo in /etc/group. Had root privileges on reboot and created a root passwd. Can log in as root now.

Any one else have this issue, or am I the only lunatic that enables the root account?
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

I saw this on the very first install ... since then I have left root alone on the user account creation and handled root pw after install

Thanks for reminding me..  We need to file a bug report on that

I'll run an install with log catching on and send it up to them as a bug

:)

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

I also noticed that the /etc/default/grub file that gets installed with the test installer has the GRUB_TIMEOUT set to 0, and the GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT set to 2. Since VSIDO has memtest installed by default, you may want to reset those times so that the menu appears.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ That is new... I have only seen it as of today and only in using the Automatic partitioning option.. Did you use that one or Manual partitioning?

I dev VSIDO

Snap

No time for tests this weekend but finally onto it. Installed in VirtualBox. Got the same root account issues that PackRat already reported. I'm one of those geeks that like to use the root account and no xserver for the distro-upgrades (specially the big boys like xserver gcc, etc... when they come. though some times for small things I'm lazy to logout, du and go back to my regular user). Anyways. password is not recognized. Cannot use the root account. Otherwise it seems fine. Going to play a bit and check if anything else pops up.

Amazing installazion time, BTW. Oh, and no issues with my keyboard layout (won't miss the refracta installer, LOL). Will follow a spanish locale install in a while, just to check.

PS, used manual partitioning. Grub timeout is set at 2 sec in my case.

Snap

Installation with spanish locale completed. Not good. Everything is in English. Not a problem for me since I always use US English in all my systems, but an issue for possible non US citizens/users I guess.

The root account issue persists. Not able to login as root from lightdm or su in a terminal. Password not recognized.

PS. The created users are not included in sudoers in both installations. No way to do anything as sudo or root. I suppose it's all related with enabling the root account as PackRat reported.

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on February 01, 2016, 04:00:13 AM
^ That is new... I have only seen it as of today and only in using the Automatic partitioning option.. Did you use that one or Manual partitioning?

I always use manual partitioning.

The hidden grub timeout is set for 2 seconds - which is probably enough time to use the key binding to get to the menu if you want to boot a different kernel or rescue mode - what is that key combo, ESC? However, since VSIDO is somewhat unique in installing memtest by default, you may want to go back to the usual visible grub menu option.

@Snap - yes, not having any users in the sudoers file is the norm if you enable the root password during install - the fine print after you switch the button to "on" points out that sudo for users is disabled when root password is enabled.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Quote from: PackRat on February 01, 2016, 03:38:09 AM
Did a second install to metal. One major issue -

at the create user dialog, I opted to activate the root account/password. The installer accepted the root password and went to completion. After reboot, I Ctrl-Alt-F1 to tty1 and tried to log in as root to do the upgrades. Not only was the root password not recognized/authenticated, sudo was disabled so I had no root privileges  :'(

Tried the root password with the caps lock on just in case - no go. Pretty sure I did not make a typo - certainly not the same one twice.

Ended up booting with the live CD and adding my user name to sudo in /etc/group. Had root privileges on reboot and created a root passwd. Can log in as root now.

Any one else have this issue, or am I the only lunatic that enables the root account?

I passed this up as a bug to the trios team

FYI, the password for root is 'vsido' the same as it is on the live-cd...

So it never gets changed, the step seems to be passed over during the install as opposed to failing

Will let you know the progress

I dev VSIDO

misko_2083

@VastOne thank you for reporting
We'll see what's going on.

PackRat

QuoteWe already use SMTube as part of SMPlayer ...

You sure about that?

Clean install:

something broken in the configuration/path?

Edit - I had to [re] - install it.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

I have been known to fail, I have again and will correct this

Thanks

I dev VSIDO