VSIDO new linstaller Discussion

PackRat

EDIT - I have modified and split this topic to be for the

VSIDO new linstaller Discussion

Links work; site looks good. My connection speed is way slow the last couple days. I will download the 64-bit and install to metal later - hopefully Sunday.

LVM still part of default install? I can set that up as well and let you know how it went.

I would insert "test" or "beta" into the name of the test iso's though.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ thanks... On the next versions of the test ISO's the word testing will be in the name

Yes LVM is part of the installers options

Thanks, like resizing the Spock images, this slipped my mind

???
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I forgot to mention ...

If you find the tint2 all wacky when you first boot into a VSIDO testing live-cd,  log out and log back in using a password of live.  This brings you back in clean and tint2 is where it should be

By restarting FluxBox from the right click menu options you can reset tint2 and is a better option

This is due to some recent changes to X11 and should be corrected soon...

I dev VSIDO

Snap

Thanks, vastOne. I'll do some tests this weekend.

PackRat

the download went without a hitch, and the md5 checksum on the 64-bit iso is good.

Edit - live session of 64-bit working, no tint2 issue on this system. All the hardware working OOTB, and network interfaces default to eth0 and wlan0:

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

filip

Writing from live, while installing in the background ( with latest installer & custom_kernel_args )...

Now, a few nitpicks/suggestions/observations:

- It would be nice to have VBox Guest Additions preinstalled on ISO, since for me atleast, working in 640x480 and without shared clipboard/folders tends to be annoying.

- X issues you mentioned exist in (latest, 5.14) VBox, and I couldn't get rid of them even with a full restart of LightDM.
Everything is fine on metal.

- +1 on using SpaceFM. Awesome file manager with even more awesome features.
While at it, purely estetic and subjective, but I find it's coloration of a Root window quite ugly and somewhat distracting.
Though it can be disabled by unchecking "Show root user indicator color" in Preferences/Interface.

- Since, by using a Flux, you're aiming for light weight, I suggest you to take a look at SMTube.
It's a small YouTube browser which opens videos in a selected player ( SMPlayer by default ).
The gain here is in the fact that any player is many times faster and much less CPU intensive compared to watching online.
For example, I can watch 720p silky smooth with VLC on an ancient Athlon XP ( single core @2GHz, slow as hell ), while online it's basically a slide show.

- And to really nitpick, Apt seems to miss package lists in live, so in order to install something you need to get them first ( apt-get update ).

Besides that, great job! Blazing fast, good selection of apps, and +1 from me on using a dark theme. :)
Once I have enough time, I'll switch to VSIDO for a couple of days in order to take a proper look.

Rebooting now.... :)

filip

All good.

Except that I forgot about: http://vsido.org/index.php?topic=1124.msg12625#msg12625
So I didn't get a network, but it's my mistake...

What's important is that installer now correctly appends to GRUB_CMD:

:)

VastOne

@PackRat, thanks for the testing and feedback, stellar as always and I appreciate it... I am assuming yours is on metal and the reason why you did not see the tint2 issues.. do you use V-Box at all?

@Filip

Thank you for the feedback.  Regarding VBox Guest Additions, they fall just outside of the 'need vs want' space saving situation... They take up a huge space on an ISO for a small amount of people to benefit from.. I like them too and set them up if I need them... it is that easy, but it is not feasible to have them on the ISO

Interesting that a logout did not resolve the tint2/X issue.. on every test I ran with it that worked.  The install worked and that is what matters.. By restarting FluxBox from the right click menu options you can reset tint2 as well

I am a huge fan of IgnorantGuru, the dev of SpaceFM and several other incredible viable tools.. We have used SpaceFM from day one here and really I could not see ever using any other file manager

We already use SMTube as part of SMPlayer ...

Apt is that way by design knocking off 40 MiB of space on the ISO using bleachbit before building does this... Sorry!

Great feedback!

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

@vastone - I have not installed to metal yet. Been airing out camping equipment today.

I do not use V-box.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

Worked great on metal!  Installed just now in V-Box.  On startup it has the screwed up Tint2 stuff.  A simple restart of Fluxbox fixes this on my V-Box install.  I did not see this or any other issues on metal...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

Thanks Jedi    8)

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

My first attempt failed - install went to completion, but booted to a blinking cursor after the initial splash screen. I think it may be because I attempted to create LVM during the install. I'll make a second attempt without the LVM.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ I saw issues with anything other than ext.. xfs and reiser both fails

You might want to run this as you run for the reports:

# Terminal 1:
sudo linstaller -f=glade start

# Terminal 2:
tail -f /var/log/linstaller/linstaller_latest.log

Later today I will redo the xfs and reiser to generate those reports

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

You also indicated you are not seeing the tint2 issue...

What type of video card do you use?

Edit -- And what version of VirtualBox?

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

I ran the live version on an intel video card.

The install is with nvidia.

The LVM was created - was there when repartitioning for 2nd attempt - and grub was installed to the MBR. The computer started to boot, but then hung right away with a blinking cursor. Don't know if it was a grub or fstab issue.

The second install just completed.... rebooting.

Edit - Second install went without a hitch; rebooted into VSIDO and no tint2 issues. Network interfaces are wlan0, eth0, and all hardware recognized out of the box.

I suspect there may be a a bug in the LVM setup - although I will not rule out that the issue exists between the chair and the keyboard. When trying to create a LVM (3 HDD on this unit) I could assign the partitions/drives to LVM during manual partitioning, but I could not create a name for the LVM - I could enter it on the screen, but not have the installer accept it. Without that name, I think the boot process didn't read the fstab properly and hung.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo