TRIOS linstaller questions

VastOne

Downloading TRIOS-RC23.iso to take a look at it...

Specifically the back end stuff (Installer, /etc/skel, etc etc)
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

misko_2083

Great, VastOne.  :)
DE is xfce  4.11/4.12
Installer is a python-written modular installer, based on https://github.com/semplice/linstaller
https://gitlab.com/trios-linux/trios-installer

VastOne

^ Looks good and plays well... a pretty good thought out distro

I have looked at the linstaller several times but could not quite get the heads up on it as there was little or no documentation on it and no good references.. I can see now how trios is using it as reference and build upon that

Will keep you updated ... gonna start on it tomorrow

I dev VSIDO

filip

Hey guys & gals,
I'm Filip, one of TRIOS developers.
Droping in quickly to thank @Misko for recommending TRIOS & Semplice/our installer and also to give @VastOne a couple of heads-up's on the installer.

If you use our version ( git or packages, no difference ), expect atleast two problems ( from the top of my head, there might be more ):

1. Installer uses a list of packages that are to be removed from the installed system, which we do not ship with it ( 'cause it would be a pain to rebuild the entire installer just to update it, so we get it in via skeleton ).
It's specified in /etc/linstaller/trios-base and resides in the same dir, although it can be anywhere. See here
So either provide the file ( same format as live-build package lists, one package per line ), or remove it from *-base config. 

2. If you attempt to install on an UEFI machine, it will try to setup refind and crash ( we use a separate script for that, also not included   :D ).
So, until I get around making things more friendly for everyone, commenting out the entire "refind_install" function and it's call should be enough.
BIOS machines are ofc unaffected.

If I missed something, or if you have any questions or issues, I'll be glad to help/answer.  :)

Now to minimize a bit the ammount of off topic for a first post...  :D

VastOne

Hello Filip and welcome to our corner of the Linux Eco...

Great spin you all have going on with TRIOS, I am impressed with what I have seen... there are several things that I have seen and will join your forum to point out as well.  Before we settled on FluxBox I was totally enamored with XFCE and that was the default on VSIDO... I do miss it though

There is one glaring issue I am facing now with just getting either one of the Linstallers working... the debian python-t9n issue

Specifically the error message is:

ImportError: No module named t9n.library

Any search for the exact message leaves nothing, a search for debian python-t9n finds only references to semplice and it's builds but nothing concrete

There is nothing in debian land I can find so how did you guys solve this? I cannot find the package python-t9n for download or build anywhere

Thanks for the heads up on what is there and not there.. I have installed yours and can follow it's paths and find where everything is at.. My process is simple, I take it a step at a time on a LiveCD of VSIDO until I get it working..  every installer in the past has resulted in a MOUNTAIN of dependencies we want nothing to do with here

Thanks

I dev VSIDO

filip

Thank you for a warm welcome!

Yeah, XFCE is great. IMO mostly because it more or less has everything that other DE's have, yet it's utterly stable and keeps itself out of the way.
You simply use it, without thinking much about it. :)
Flux is also great, allthough I've found PekWM to suite me better, mostly because I get around it's configuration a lot easier and to some degree it's "autoproperties" feature.
Besides that, AFAIK they are the only light wm's that support tabbing in titlebar, which is beyond awesome, especially on a low resolution screen.

@py-t9n

It's a part of "keeptalking" program ( also from Semplice ). Keeptalking is a stand-alone i18n/time-zone/kb-layout settings manager, and also a installer module.

Either build it from git, or just get the packages from our repo.
https://gitlab.com/trios-linux/keeptalking
http://www.mirror.org.rs/trios/mia/pool/main/k/keeptalking/

Also, keep in mind that it's pretty much abandoned upstream and partially broken ( so we forked and fixed it ). It's replaced by keptalking2, which is ok, however it relies a bit to much on systemd, dbus, runs as a service etc ( unnecessary stuff for what it does, IMO )....

:)

hakerdefo

Quote from: VastOne on January 27, 2016, 12:49:59 AM
ImportError: No module named t9n.library
Any search for the exact message leaves nothing, a search for debian python-t9n finds only references to semplice and it's builds but nothing concrete.
There is nothing in debian land I can find so how did you guys solve this? I cannot find the package python-t9n for download or build anywhere.
You only found it in Semplice repo cause it comes from Semplice. Linstaller was created by Eugenio for Semplice. Here is the link to the module,
https://github.com/semplice/keeptalking/tree/master/t9n
Eugenio is a cool kid, I'm sure he will be happy to help with Linstaller.
Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

hakerdefo

You Can't Always Git What You Want

filip

Quote from: hakerdefo on January 27, 2016, 01:35:17 PM
Eugenio is a cool kid, I'm sure he will be happy to help with Linstaller.
Cheers!!!

He helped us a lot with the first steps, and was quick to reply and solve a couple of issues we reported.
Cool kid indeed! :)

misko_2083

Quote from: PackRat on January 26, 2016, 12:25:15 AM
@misko - thanks.
Xmonad -
You are welcome. Nice desktop you have there.

@VastOne I sent Filip a message and he registered on the forum to help. Such a friendly fellow. :)
I hope the installer will work for you.
@filip hello there. Thanks for taking a time to help here. :)

@jedi you are an artist. Thumbs up

VastOne

Thank you misko, hakerdefo and filip

Thanks for the information and paths you took to get there...

What exactly is the KeepTalking program in reference to linstaller?

I did grab your TRIOS debs of the t9n library and will let you all know how it goes

Thank you...

I dev VSIDO

filip

@Misko:

Friendliness is one of the major reasons why I got into linux/foss anyway, so it's only natural to "act" the same. :)
After all, everything in our world mostly revolves around community, so being friendly, sticking together and cooperating is a must IMO ( especially with the lastest "trends" of doing the exact oposite ).

Quote from: VastOne on January 27, 2016, 02:35:13 PM

What exactly is the KeepTalking program in reference to linstaller?

I did grab your TRIOS debs of the t9n library and will let you all know how it goes

Thank you...

It's a module that provides installer with a Locale/TimeZone/KB Layout ( GUI ) frontend, and a backend which applies the chosen settings to the installed system. :)

While at it, I forgot to mention that currently you can only choose one KB layout, which is applied system-wide ( it's written to /etc/default/keyboard ).
So, anyone who uses a non-latin KB should be carefull, since there might be issues later, with for example typing terminal commands, tty etc.
It's ofc easy to fix, but for someone who doesn't know what's going on, it might be a serious pain.

Once I have time, I'll try to improve keeptalking to allow choosing multiple, and a default layout.  :)

One more note about installer. The CLI front-end is quite behind GTK, not recieving much care from Eugenio nor us, so while it mostly works fine ( BIOS only IIRC ), it's something to keep in mind. :)

VastOne

Quote from: filip on January 27, 2016, 03:04:25 PM
@Misko:

Friendliness is one of the major reasons why I got into linux/foss anyway, so it's only natural to "act" the same. :)
After all, everything in our world mostly revolves around community, so being friendly, sticking together and cooperating is a must IMO ( especially with the lastest "trends" of doing the exact oposite ).

One more note about installer. The CLI front-end is quite behind GTK, not recieving much care from Eugenio nor us, so while it mostly works fine ( BIOS only IIRC ), it's something to keep in mind. :)

Thank you Filip ... I got into doing all of this for the same reasons to give what I know and can

I have everything working in order to load the installer (modules) thanks for the debs on t9n and keeptalking that made it very easy

As I continue, I seem to be hitting the gtk issues.. These are the errors now

vsido@vsido:~$ sudo linstaller -c=trios -f=glade start
/usr/share/linstaller/linstaller/services/glade/__init__.py:28: PyGIWarning: Gtk was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
  from gi.repository import Gtk, GObject, Gdk

(linstaller:7222): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:3922:29: Junk at end of value

(linstaller:7222): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: unity.css:111:9: 'shade' is not a valid property name

(linstaller:7222): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_pack: assertion '_gtk_widget_get_parent (child) == NULL' failed

(linstaller:7222): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_reorder_child: assertion 'old_link != NULL' failed
W: Module path /usr/share/linstaller/linstaller/core/../modules/language/front/glade/module.glade does not exist! Skipping...
W: Module path /usr/share/linstaller/linstaller/core/../modules/timezone/front/glade/module.glade does not exist! Skipping...

(linstaller:7222): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_model_get_column_type: assertion 'GTK_IS_TREE_MODEL (tree_model)' failed

(linstaller:7222): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_combo_box_set_active_id: assertion 'gtk_tree_model_get_column_type (model, column) == G_TYPE_STRING' failed

(linstaller:7222): Gtk-WARNING **: Overriding tab label for notebook
<type 'exceptions.KeyError'>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/linstaller", line 436, in <module>
    res = loop_modules()
  File "/usr/bin/linstaller", line 175, in loop_modules
    res = launch_module(module, main_settings["special"].split(" ") + main_settings["special_workspace"])
  File "/usr/bin/linstaller", line 66, in launch_module
    res = modclass.start()
  File "/usr/share/linstaller/linstaller/modules/language/front/__init__.py", line 17, in start
    return module.Module.start(self)
  File "/usr/share/linstaller/linstaller/core/module.py", line 73, in start
    obj.do_frontend_change(self.frnt)
  File "/usr/share/linstaller/linstaller/core/service.py", line 90, in do_frontend_change
    self.on_frontend_change()
  File "/usr/share/linstaller/linstaller/services/glade/__init__.py", line 174, in on_frontend_change
    self.current_frontend.objects = self.modules_objects[self.current_module.package.replace("linstaller.modules.","")]
KeyError: 'language.front'

(linstaller:7222): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_main_quit: assertion 'main_loops != NULL' failed

Is there something specific to a python gtk3 / glade need that I have not seen?

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

This is for my notes and a placeholder  as much as anything.. a guide for the steps I have taken to convert the TRIOS Installer into a viable VSIDO installer

Starting all of this on the latest ISO of x64 VSIDO in a VirtualBox LiveCD session

Download and install the TRIOS Linstaller unpack and run

sudo python2.7 setup.py install

sudo ln -s /usr/share/linstaller/linstaller.py /usr/bin/linstaller

sudo apt-get install notify2

download and dpkg -i the following 3 files from the trios mirror site

sudo dpkg -i keeptalking_6.0.2.1~trios3_all.deb

sudo dpkg -i python-keeptalking_6.0.2.1~trios3_all.deb

sudo dpkg -i python-t9n_6.0.2.1~trios3_all.deb

I dev VSIDO